Adam Jones Effects...in the loop or in front?

All up front.

Adam actually utilizes two loops for his FX chain, using the old Boss PS looper pedals (the red ones). One loop has an MXR Micro boost and a Dunlop 535Q wah. This loop is through one PS looper and feeds to the second one. In this loop will be an MXR Micro boost -> Boss DD3 Delay -> Boss BF2 Flanger. All of his stuff is un-buffered, using the Micro boost to compensate for volume drops. Everything stays on, including the wah and is controlled by the Boss PS pedals. So, he only has to punch the Boss pedals to activate either or both loops. He comes out in mono to a custom splitter and straight into his VH4 and Marshall Super Bass. Old school for sure, but sounds great. I ran this set up for a couple years myself. Oh, and he has a rack mount Korg tuner on the board as well.

Steve

Thanks for the responses, so what you have said has me a bit confused, your saying he uses the mrx micro amp in loop 1 and 2?

stephen sawall":1oys901i said:
I believe he is referencing the Dunlop MXR Micro Amp M133 Boost Pedal.

.... And thanks Steve .... nice post....
Agreed. That was a solid reply - and to the best of my Jones-Tonez knowledge, pretty bang on.

And remember, if you're trying to duplicate his tone, there's a lot of pixie dust in his approach to those 6 strings too.

jonl":1o6w60v1 said:
right, but he is using it in both loops?
Can you do that?

No, you misunderstood a bit. He doesn't use any of the amp's FX loops. Everything is run up front. What I was saying was he makes two outboard FX loops on his pedalboard. This is an old school "no tap dancing" thing really to keep from engaging all the FX or disengaging. Using a couple of looper boxes (he uses Boss), he puts his modulation in one loop and a Wah in another loop on the pedalboard. These feed each to the front of the amp, not to an FX loop in the amp. The MXR Mirco's are too give just a bit over volume bump to the pedals to compensate for volume loss when engaged.

Yeah, don't forget the Pixie Dust Pedal too....... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

steve_k":21xao63t said:
All up front.

All of his stuff is un-buffered, using the Micro boost to compensate for volume drops. Everything stays on, including the wah and is controlled by the Boss PS pedals. So, he only has to punch the Boss pedals to activate either or both loops.

Steve

This is not true since all Boss pedals are buffered and he has at least 2 Boss pedals. The micro amps are there because of the length in cable and the amount of splitting between 3 amps.

Also, the wah pedal is not always on. It would be more inconvenient to have to step on a boss loop box to activate the wah, and then move your foot to the wah to use it, than to just step on the wah to turn it on and instantly start using it without having to move your foot back and forth between the two constantly.

BaphometXXVII":yam0vs1o said:
steve_k":yam0vs1o said:
All up front.

All of his stuff is un-buffered, using the Micro boost to compensate for volume drops. Everything stays on, including the wah and is controlled by the Boss PS pedals. So, he only has to punch the Boss pedals to activate either or both loops.

Steve

This is not true since all Boss pedals are buffered and he has at least 2 Boss pedals. The micro amps are there because of the length in cable and the amount of splitting between 3 amps.

Also, the wah pedal is not always on. It would be more inconvenient to have to step on a boss loop box to activate the wah, and then move your foot to the wah to use it, than to just step on the wah to turn it on and instantly start using it without having to move your foot back and forth between the two constantly.

So you signed up to tell Steve he is wrong? Well you failed :LOL: :LOL:
I've learned a thing or two about Adam's setup since I made this topic.
Adam uses his Delay and flanger with his wah for some things, it would be VERY hard to go from a clean signal to all 3 of those without a looper or switch.
Look at this video, "FRANK" uses the wah and when he is done with the wah he shuts it off by stepping on the PSM-5 Boss pedal.
BOOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVu7WTeQHw

At 2:12 you can see he uses his right foot to turn off the pedal to the right of his wah.
Welcome to Rig-talk

Ventura":3mjxb1fa said:
And remember, if you're trying to duplicate his tone, there's a lot of pixie dust in his approach to those 6 strings too.
Plus the whole band around him and who knows just what obscure hoodoo they been cooking in the studio on all those albums! :rock:

jonl":1g3q45iu said:
So you signed up to tell Steve he is wrong? Well you failed :LOL: :LOL:
I've learned a thing or two about Adam's setup since I made this topic.
Adam uses his Delay and flanger with his wah for some things, it would be VERY hard to go from a clean signal to all 3 of those without a looper or switch.
Look at this video, "FRANK" uses the wah and when he is done with the wah he shuts it off by stepping on the PSM-5 Boss pedal.
BOOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVu7WTeQHw

At 2:12 you can see he uses his right foot to turn off the pedal to the right of his wah.
Welcome to Rig-talk

Hey jonl... I've heard from a few ppl that you're the person to speak to when it comes to Adam's setup.
I would have pm'd you, but apparently I don't have enough posts to unlock that option.

I started a thread seeing if anyone could show "how" he hooks his rig up in the picture I've used.
It's located here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=149838

I'm trying to get the info so I can create a good photoshopped version of it to aid ppl who want to see how he sets his rig up.

If you have some time and would be interested in tackling it I would be grateful.
I don't know enough about it to know how he sets it up.
I know he uses two PS pedals but I just want to see if anyone can visually assist me in how he hooks it all up.

If you're up for it, thanks in advance.
If not, thanks anyway.

Actually I run mine different in a few ways than Adam does, I have my MXR micro amp set up to be on all the time and is not hooked up to the PSM-5s
My Volume pedal is not ether, everything else runs into the psm-5s and they are used to bypass the other pedals in line.
I used a custom on off switch for the wah so i dont have to stomp on it to engage the switch....thats a pain in the ass!

You don't need the PSM-5's to get his setup, just plug the volume pedal, delay, flanger, dodfx eq, and micro amp up in order as you see them.

I wasn't trying to personally duplicate it.
I may eventually, but not at the moment.

I just like to know how different ppl hook up their individual setups to try to see "why" they did it that way vs another way.... and I'm obviously a fan of his tone.

I was going to document it via detailed image for other ppl basically.

Thanks for taking the time though and thanks for showing me how you hook it up.
I'll have to try that out at some point as well.

I'll figure his precise setup out one of these days.

Have a good one.

I'm determined... lol

I'm sort of new to the pedal world, but this is what I "think" he has going on (so far) after viewing a few pictures and pausing a few videos at just about every imaginable angle...
The image is still rough as I'm constantly drawing new lines to different places trying to figure it out...

AJrig2.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how he incorporates the Wah into the mix of the PSM's as I have yet to find a clear picture of how that's hooked up...

I'll get it eventually...

opiate88":2jnr3r3f said:
I'm determined... lol

I'm sort of new to the pedal world, but this is what I "think" he has going on (so far) after viewing a few pictures and pausing a few videos at just about every imaginable angle...
The image is still rough as I'm constantly drawing new lines to different places trying to figure it out...

AJrig2.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how he incorporates the Wah into the mix of the PSM's as I have yet to find a clear picture of how that's hooked up...

I'll get it eventually...

The wah goes into one psm-5 and the other psm-5 controls delay,flanger,micro amp, and eq

The problem I have is how he actually makes that particular connection...

This is what I have (and for all I know it's wrong in certain areas)

AJrig3.jpg

Unless he's using a separate switch, the only available jack I have left is the Signal Out (AMP)
That's after I hook up the guitar IN cable from the rack tuner (if that's right) to the Signal IN (Guitar) on PSM1 (far right)

From what I can tell, he uses the SEND jack on PSM 1 (far right) to hook into the Signal IN (Guitar) jack on PSM 2 (far left) to make the connection of both PSM's to each other.
Thus, I can't use the SEND jack on PSM 1 (far right) to go to the Wah....

I'm not trying to recreate this in person (which is probably a problem because I could test it to see if it works or not) as I only own 2 of the particular pedals in his setup.

It's solely to basically understand how he does it (especially since some of this gear is outdated in terms of use), to learn from it somewhat... and to create a picture representation of "how" he does it... or how people with knowledge and understanding (as I think you have) "think" he does it.

But, feel free to ignore this if you want man...
I know I'm probably nuts for trying to figure this out... but once I started I can't stop now.

Back