Question for Peter about Ruby preamp tubes

phil b

Peter,
Are the Ruby tubes you recommend Shuguang tubes or actually JJ's? A friend of mine bought a few 12AX7AC5 HG+'s and when they arrived you could see it was the same construction and font as the JJ's. Now I have a few new 12AX7AC5 HG+'s that I bought a while ago and when we compared the two not only do they look different than what my buddy just got, but they also sound quite different. Is there a dealer you can recommend that will only stock one type over another or is it a crap shoot? Anyone with any info would help. Thanks! :)

Im pretty sure Ruby's are chinese. Rebranded/-labeled chinese...some call selected. And Im not saying they are bad - I am not a racist.

i.ak":3ape2otj said:
Im pretty sure Ruby's are chinese. Rebranded/-labeled chinese...some call selected. And Im not saying they are bad - I am not a racist.

Oh yea.. nothing to do with race.. I dont care where they come from.. :LOL: :LOL: I always thought they were Chinese as well until I read on a site that sold tubes that they were rebranded JJ's Then the few my buddy just got sort of confirms it cause its identical to a JJ but with a Ruby sticker on it. Mine sound much nicer than his and mine actually look like they may be made differently, so its kinda peaked my curiosity. :confused:

Well, Im not actually sure do they also offer rebranded JJ nowadays. I made some googling and in addition to Slovek tubes, there are also some that look more or less Russians as well. But what is sure is that they are not own production, but so-called selected tubes. And again, not saying they are bad...or good...

phil b":3rh7jzdr said:
Peter,
Are the Ruby tubes you recommend Shuguang tubes or actually JJ's? A friend of mine bought a few 12AX7AC5 HG+'s and when they arrived you could see it was the same construction and font as the JJ's. Now I have a few new 12AX7AC5 HG+'s that I bought a while ago and when we compared the two not only do they look different than what my buddy just got, but they also sound quite different. Is there a dealer you can recommend that will only stock one type over another or is it a crap shoot? Anyone with any info would help. Thanks! :)
Magic Parts/Ruby sells the Ruby AC5 HG and HG+(which they label as 12ax7ac5) and they sell JJ HG's and HG+ (which they label as 12ax7acz). They are different tubes. All have either an HG or HG+ sticker on the tube but the tubes are visibly different. The AC5 will say Ruby 7025SS/12ax7a and the JJ will have the JJ logo (some did not have the logo a while back but they were JJ's). Long story short if he ordered AC5's, he got the wrong tubes.

IMG_1028.jpg

Laura":3qn9gh7a said:
phil b":3qn9gh7a said:
Peter,
Magic Parts/Ruby sells the Ruby AC5 HG and HG+(which they label as 12ax7ac5) and they sell JJ HG's and HG+ (which they label as 12ax7acz). They are different tubes. All have either an HG or HG+ sticker on the tube but the tubes are visibly different. The AC5 will say Ruby 7025SS/12ax7a and the JJ will have the JJ logo (some did not have the logo a while back but they were JJ's). Long story short if he ordered AC5's, he got the wrong tubes.

IMG_1028.jpg
/

Much shorter, the Z is not a 5. The JJ are great tubes but I miss the aggresive midrange.
This tubes are low micro phonic because of their construction. It´s a frame grid tube,
but often start to produce white noise after a short while. Reason is the increasing grid current.

The Chinese 12AX7AC5 HG+ 678 was originally selected for Diezel. 6,7 and 8 are the grids on the
B-side of the tube which we use as input stage. To explain: The 12AX7 tube has two triodes
inside, means 2 independable circuits. The A-side is on pin 1, 2 and 3. The B-side is on
pin 6, 7 and 8. Rest of the pins are heater connections.

I would be happy if JJ would be ready to work on a preamp tube for guitar amps.
They use very good glass, very good iron. It´s a matter of taste.

Anyway, thanks Laura !

Back