Einstein Ch1,Mode3 Gain Reduction (via cap change?)

1DayOff

Hi Folks,

First of all thanks for all the tipps and tricks I could read in this forum! Peter and his team offer a great support and help their customers with (nearly ;-)) any need. I'm a german Diezel-Player (VH4) since 1997 and never changed. Never even thought about buying another amp. Recently I added an Einstein Combo for more mobility.... YES, i LOVE Diezels!

Now, here's my question to every technician, especially Peter:
I would like to reduce the amount of gain of Mode 3 in Channel 1. Then, for me, it fits better to Mode 1 and 2. The Gain from 12 o'clock position should be reached at 3 o'clock, not earlier. I'd like to keep the Gain-Knob always at 3-4 o' clock for clean, crunch AND rhythm.
Can I do this by changing a cap at the right position?
Which cap at which position do I need to change?
What the cap's value there?

In 1997 I already "pimped" the Channel 2 of the VH2 to get a little more gain. Peter helped me out via telephone that time. Can you help me again, please?!

Thanks so much,
Holger

Holger,
I had a VH4, now a Herbert and Einstein combo.
I also felt that mode 3, channel one has too much gain for my needs.
However, Peter asked me never to mess with the circuit board, so to lower the gain, I changed out pre-amp tubes V-1 and V-2 to NOS Mullard 12 AU7's.
Now, I can use the gain in all modes up around the 3-4 o'clock position and I get what I feel is a clearer distortion tone with far less gain in the amp.

You might try this before changing out anything on the circuit board. This way, if you don't like the change, it is easily reversed.

I simply removed the back panel, laid the amp on it's face and changed out the V-1 and V-2 tubes, then placed the panel back on the amp and tried it out.

It works great for me.
Hope you fine this helpful.
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

thanks for your help!
But I think this is the solution for me because this means, that the balance between the Modes is still the same only with less overall-gain, isn't it?
Mode 3 then still has the amount "more" gain compared to Mode 2 or am I wrong here?

I'm looking for the cap on the board that is "responsible" for the gain of Mode 3, the other sounds should stay untouched.

Other ideas, maybe any suggestions from Peter?

Kind regards,
Holger

Yes,

that's right, but I like the Gain of Mode 1 and 2 in 3 o'clock position and in Mode 3 max. at 12 o'clock. If I switch (by foot) the three modes, Mode 3 is too thick for my taste, so i'd like to adjust in that way that the 12 o'clock-gain is reached at 3 o'clock position of the gain pot.
Ã

I see. So it needs a mod then - either a whole mod of the circuitry (which could also have an impact on the other modes) or (would be easier me thinks) another gainpot just for mode 3, manageable with an additional relais.
Why don't you simpy call Peter?
09288-957-662

Oooh,

thanks for this info! It seems that it is a lot more complex than it was to change the gain-response on my VH4. In this case I really need to think about this "big" mod, as I only want to change minor things...

Thanks,
Holger

Olaf,
I understand what Holger is stating about the way the gain kicks in when the gain dial is set about 2 o'clock or higher. At that point the clarity seems to disappear and the higher gain seems to mask any clarity left in the tone. I hear that on my Einstein.

I understand that it is just the way the electronics are, and that it is very usable for those desiring that much gain. I find that just changing out the pre-amp tubes is the way to go so there is really no electronic modding required, and it is easily put back to stock without any fuss.

Back