One of you guys can probably help me out with differences in Euro Voltage...

Random Hero

Basically, the Mark IV I bought from Italy has the "EU 220v transformer". I'm just checking because I don't wanna blow anything up. You see, I heard about a guy who bought an amp from Thomann, plugged it in over here, and it blew up, however, I think they sent him the 120v version.

If you go here, it seems Italy and the UK have the same kinda power supply... http://kropla.com/electric2.htm It also says the UK can have up to 240v? I don't want my amp to blow up, so what's the deal? I've heard about having the "UK/EU" transformer installed on US models, as if it's the same thing. I've also been told over at the boogie board that;

"EU is only 230.

It used to be 220 - 240, depending on what country you were in.

But all export Mark IV's are wired for 240, so you won't blow it because they are largely overrated with those huge trannies."

I also got an interesting and informative response from AgentOrange over on HC;

"When i got my herbert from peter, i asked him about this. Most consumer electricals arent too tightly specd around UK or mainland europe power, so the same stuff is sold everywhere. Seeing as the power will vary from place to place anyways, its not that big a deal. However, peter did insist that a 240V would be the best option for me becuase he said it would affect things. I dont know if this is just him being a perfectionist or if he was speaking the truth. I think boogie install a 240V trannie for the UK models and a 220V for the mainland. If i remember correctly, on the back of my old boogie, they had 3 tick boxes on the back of the chassis for 110, 220 and 240V depending on what market it was destined for.

So i think itll be fine to use, but may not sound the same. I know westside will install you a 240V trannie, but youll probably pay through the nose for it, so maybe maplins is a better bet. You may wanna ask someone like peter or james peters who know this stuff inside out though"

Has anyone here got any idea?

In short, do I need this, or something like it.

http://www.eurobatteries.com/sitepages/description3.asp?id=2112&cat=AC %20to%20AC

Back