Which speakers do you prefer and why?

Why, because they have that rock sound that you hear on most recordings. Good power handling, great mids, deep bottom and clear highs. The absolute best sounding speakers are Greenbacks, but they can't handle most of todays high powered amps, so it's the V30's for me.

OK...it kinda sucks because I just bought a Diezel cabinet yesterday with the Custom Diezels in it. I couldn't find any info really about each speaker....then AFTER I bought it I found this forum in a late night google search and it pretty much sucks to see 90% of people including Peter himself saying they think the V30's kill over the customs....THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYONE ON HERE PREFER THE CUSTOMS??

I KNOW not to go by what others say, I'm gonna try the ones I have out but will probably be switching to the V30's in the future, as well as a front loaded cabinet.....cause due to this forum it now seems that ALSO would be a better fit for me....

I prefer T75's to the V30's. To my ear, there's way more sizzle (some would say harsh high end, I know). YMMV! :D

Keep the rear loaded. Much smoother and fatter and you can always make it more agressive if you up the treble and presence. I hate front loaded cabs. With front loaded cabs, I have to cut treble and presence, and they're still too 'in your face' for me. But thats just me. I do play heavy, agressive music.

Now I am confused again....just when I thought about getting the front loaded cab. I thought the front loaded cab was a nice compromise for the voicing of the Herbert...not necessarily the VH4 though.I know the front loaded cab is lighter.
Rick

It would be ideal to be able to hear the diff before buying.
Right!!???

Well I have being playing with my Herbie and my rear loaded Diezel speakers and happen to love it!! I play most styles but with a heavy rock edge. So, I guess that the V30s are great for a more bting metal thang which is great. But if you play a few diff styles then the customs will be great. So, don't psyche yourself out before you had a chance to get used to your cabbie. BTW it is still quite subjective. I have a 2x12 with V30s that i use and the customs are warmer sounding...whatever that means..... :m15: Think about.. on this board there is a fan for all the diff style cabs!!! There is a earlier thread where some guys love the customs and are looking for soame to buy..so ther you have it.......Your ears are the best at deciding what you will like..

I would be interested in trying some heads with a cab loaded with the new Celestion Alnico Golds, which are basically Alnico Blues with 50 watt power handling.

my goodness hairs a being split here!

V30s are great.......Trust your EARS man. The customs are great too....They are not some cheap knock off speaker.
they are USA made custom speakers. Its crazy to think that you made a bad choice here. Really. I have played through 10 different kinda of speaker combinations. i went with my ears and chose. i played through cabs that OTHERS have said are great,or the best. In the end I made the right choice for ME. (which by the way were not the ones people said are the best.
obviously you have what you have. Don't let that deminish your experience. I am sure that you'll have an opportunity to try other cabs in the future. You can always pull out and sell or trade right here your customs if need be. Right?
Its funny cause i know people who are always on this quest for the best, and the latest and etc. etc. etc. :deadhorse:
(I work in this great guitar repair shop in S.F. so i've seen em all.) instead of playing their geetars are working on their music and actually playing the damned things. you'll be alright man. You didn't make a horrible choice. Peace. :rock2: :moon: :fart2: :puke:

I had the opportunity to try out both in my home for a week A/B. I had originally ordered customs, but they mistakenly sent me V30's. I called and they told me to hold on to the V30's until they sent the customs. Told me to send back the one's I didnt like.

I had a natural bias and really wanted to like the customs better(since it was what I ordered), but alas it was not to be. I just liked the mid voicing of the 30's better.

In the end as with everything, its all a matter of taste.

Back