stock tubes (FAO Peter)

herbert001442

Hi Peter

Can you tell me the exact preamp tubes that are in the herbies please?

I use a TAD in V1 and V3 but the rest i want to keep the same as the stock. Tried various others but really want to come back to that stock sound!! I really want to get my hands on them in the UK if possible

Thanks

grateful herbie owner

Depending on which TAD tubes you have they would be the same as stock, mine came with chinese TAD'S in v-1 and v-2. The stock 12ax7's are chinese, usually TAD or RUBY tubes . MR. D put a jj/tesla in v-1 of mine when he worked on it, so he may put those in v-1 now, I dunna.

- Nick

well it came with 2 TAD's in the V1 and V3 and the others were just plain looking tubes with no logos. I revalved the Herbie recently and have tried JJ's, Rubys and electro-Harmonix. Kept the 2 TAD's but i really miss that sound the stock tubes had.

Well the JJ he put in mine (for a re-tube) was unlabled and the rest Ruby's. Stock was all chinese though and that was probably what yours had too, can you give a pic of the stock TAD's? Also do you remember if the insides looked similar to the unlabeled ones?

-Nick

Hey i just put in some Sovtek 12ax7lps on all 6 and it sounds
pretty darn good so far!. I was using Groove tube 12ax7m and I thought they sounded great till they failed . Since I didn't want to wait till tomorrow to get the Groove tubes I put in these Russian Sovteks and they rock. I just had an issue where my Herbie stopped working 2 days ago so i put in some 6 Ruby EL34BSR which still didn't resolve the issue until I put in all new pre-amp tubes. So far no issues and sounds great. :LOL:

hey Bert are you familiar with the Sovteks? I have read good things about them .

In other amps yes, but not in the Diez though. Good sounding tubes in general, a little tubby in the bass area but I'm sure the Diezel is tight enough to take care of that. I had them in a modded recto along with tung-sol's and chinese, I ended up using tung-sol's in v-1 and v-2 with chinese in v-3. Good tubes though for new production stuff. They sound killer in Mesa 400+ Bass amps, awesome growl.

-Nick

cheers guys. I am going to order a set of TAD's for it again, I noticed Watford Valves in the UK recommend a certain TAD in V1 and other TAD's for the other positions so i will try them. I am being really fussy but i guess with an amp like the Herbie you have to be fussy!! :D

The JJ Teslas i tried in the preamp stage i thought didnt have enough gain but the did sound good, Very warm and clean but just not powerful enough i thought.

It don´t depends on the distributor.

I use a E83CC-Cz Highgrade for V1.
Rest is 12AX7A-C selected.

Did I say that 30% of the preamp tubes
goes to the trashcan ?

;)

:|::QBB:
Peter Diezel":e818f said:
It don´t depends on the distributor.

I use a E83CC-Cz Highgrade for V1.
Rest is 12AX7A-C selected.

Did I say that 30% of the preamp tubes
goes to the trashcan ?

;)

Hey Peter, Thats what has been happening to half of the ones i have been buying and testing! I have offloaded them into Friends Marshalls!! :LOL:

Am about to buy an einstein soon from Mansons in the UK. Can you tell me what the difference in the 50 watt and 100 watt versions are apart from volume obviously?
Was going to get a VH-4 to run alongside my Herbert but i really fancy the idea of the einstein as its capable of more vintage tones as well as modern!

Back