Tricks to make my Diezel cut through the Mix

Sacha

I love my Herbert tones alone and recorded as well as all the features etc. One area I have a bit of trouble with is cutting through the mix in a 2 guitar band, especially on the higher strings.

I'm using a Musicman with a D-sonic 7 in the bridge, and the Diezel front-loaded cab with V30. Tubes are all stock EL-34.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks. :yes:

Hehe, yeah mids are up pretty high man around 3 o'clock on the gain channels. The upper mids are fine it's the lower mids and maybe the compression that make it a touch hard to hear myself at times. :doh:

Maybe some 6550 or KT-88 would help with this? I am also going to try an EQ pedal.

Whats your mid cut on ? Usually when I play Sevens I tend to run it higher so that it can open up the low-end a bit, less comp. and stuff. I'm a six string guy myself so I usually use little to no mid-cut, but the lower I go the more it seems I have to use it to open up the low side of things and let the high's sing more. If you got it low, try it a little bit higher, see if it helps. Stock tubes in the preamp?

Thanks, I will try running the presence higher. I am using the stock tubes, any suggestions here for more 'push' in the 600-800hz area or should I stick with EL-34 and Chinese pre?

lolz, pickups are Dimarzio they sound fine, just a bit of some frequency or rawness is missing here. thanks for the suggestions tho! :)

Nah the volume is fine, as I said it's just missing a bit of body to cut through the mix. I have an EQ pedal that I will try that I think could help, boosting around 800HZ, I also might try other tubes (6550). Any tips from Peter?

Hi Peter, not using a mic at rehearsal / band practice. Live is just the usual '57, and for recording I used a '57 and an MD421 blended (awesome). Thanks for your help! :)

Back