HAGEN Tube Pairs - who's been playing around?

Ventura

You know, considering how much of a splash the Herbert makes with respect to its 3 pairs of interchangeable powervalves, I'm surprised there's not been more chitter chatter on the ability of the Hagen to do the same.

I know, I know, Papa - you're all about the KT77s, but c'mon guys, we can change things up here with 2 pairs of different tubes. I think I wanna jump in and experiment a bit :D

Uncle Mo

el34s mixed with kt88's were my favorite in my Herbert..
I haven't tried anything but el34's in my Hagen though..
I'm interested to see what you come up with Mo. :rock:

base341":2fchvb47 said:
el34s mixed with kt88's were my favorite in my Herbert..
I haven't tried anything but el34's in my Hagen though..
I'm interested to see what you come up with Mo. :rock:
Interesting. I'll have a spare quad of 88s this coming week from another amp project I'm working on. I'll dump a pair into the Hagen and see what comes out :yes:

I'm also eager to try a combo of 88s, 6550s, EL34s, 77s, etc.

After hearing the VH4 with 6550's, I've been wondering how they would sound in the Hagen. Trouble is that the EL34's sound so good.

I'll wait for the Uncle Mo tone report...

Might as well come asking dumb stuff into this thread, instead of making a 999th tube thread. Sorry OP :)

Going for a retube of a 100W Einstein. I was thinking something along the lines of EL34/KT88
But what if, it was KT77/KT88 or EL34/6550 or... or...
So KT77 is what, an EL34 on steroids?

The sound that I'm looking for, would be just a touch brighter, than the 4x 6550 is.
I like the punchy bottom end of the 6550's so that's why I thought EL34/KT88 would bring out the best of both worlds.

And OP, good luck with testing the Hagen, would love to hear clips of it :)

I left one pair of them SED 6550's in and swapped the outer pair with EH EL34's. It's simply awesome. Just what I was looking for.

Mine is otherwise stock, with about 5yrs of wear on the two 6550's and the pre-stage. Except for V1 that's a groove tubes 12at7.

Back