If anyone could help me it would be AWESOME!!!!!

zzzsleepzzz

SO FIRST OFF I FINALLY BOUGHT A HERBERT!!! I'm beyond pumped!! Now I can REALLY be a part of this small yet vast Diezel family!!

It was a tough choice getting either the VH4 or the Herbert, but from reading a TON of stuff on this forum and asking questions, I decided to go with the Herbert...it hasn't arrived yet...CANT WAIT!!!!

Ok on to the questions...

I know it's probably gonna be a pain in the ass answering these, some are total noob questions but they say the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

First off, I bought this footswitch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250096322512&rd=1&rd=1

I had NO IDEA what it was or what it was worth and just bought it. I came in contact with another person who has one of these, says I got a KILLER deal on it, so I guess that is cool.

The question I have relates to MIDI. I have NEVER used anything that functions with MIDI. I have a basic idea, I think, of what it does. Maybe I would be better off telling you what I want to accomplish and you could give me some pointers on how to do this...

I want to put the Herbert into a roadcase and run it with another head, something that has an awesome complimentary tone. I've been thinking about the Marshall JVM (or possibly the HandK Switchblade). I have 2 new cabinets I just got for both heads to run with, a Diezel and an Orange. I also have been looking at an effects unit like the G System, effects are VERY important to me, I use them quite a bit. (also been looking at some eventide stuff but it's really high cost and ive heard difficult to use).

How easy would it be to set up, lets say, the Herbert and the JVM, with a G system running to both, AND have all 3 switch together with the press of ONE button. So be in clean channel, both with a little delay, then press ONE button and have the effects change on the G system and both channels on each head??? I REALLY love my line6 head I've been using live for years because it's basically a 128 channel head and each time you press one button you can easily program a MAJOR change. On the other hand I've owned 13 different tube heads (all really nice) and it's time to step up the plate and go back to THAT sound. So basically I'm trying to get a tube rig running the same vane. I HATE tapdancing for effect/channel changes....

Also, utilizing a set up like this, did I waste money on the Footswitch I already purchased??

THANKS A MILLION in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer this!! I very much appreciate it. Nobody in my area runs a rig like this so it's REALLY hard to get some answers! I need SERIOUS PROFESSINAL HELP and I know here is where to get it!!!

ALSO if anyone has any very cool suggestions for another head to run with the Diezel that is also midi switchable (im guessing it has to be for my scheme) toss it out!! I'd like to check out a VHT but they aren't midi. A guy I talk to online runs a Herbert and an Uberschall but it's hard to get intouch with him and I don't feel like I know him well enough to ask for specifics.

For your switching question... if you got a gsystem I think you could control both head per preset with the gsys. I have a gsys that I use to control my mesa mkiv, it's using relay to do this.

The herbert can use midi for prog change, if the marshall can as well then use midi to control both via preset.

If you use relay on the jvm then that would work too. Actually if you use relay on the jvm that would be pretty sweet cause you can toggle relays without changing presets for even more versatility.

For instance, you have a dirty channel on the herbert for your patch #1, by default you have the relay set for dirty on your jvm as well, BUT you can toggle your jvm via the relay to clean or a rhythm channel while leaving the herbert on dirt.

I don't see a need for the footswitch you got though, if you go with a gsys anyway...

Hope that made sense.

:|::QBB:
zzzsleepzzz":0ba15 said:
SO FIRST OFF I FINALLY BOUGHT A HERBERT!!! I'm beyond pumped!! Now I can REALLY be a part of this small yet vast Diezel family!!

It was a tough choice getting either the VH4 or the Herbert, but from reading a TON of stuff on this forum and asking questions, I decided to go with the Herbert...it hasn't arrived yet...CANT WAIT!!!!

Ok on to the questions...

I know it's probably gonna be a pain in the ass answering these, some are total noob questions but they say the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

First off, I bought this footswitch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250096322512&rd=1&rd=1

I had NO IDEA what it was or what it was worth and just bought it. I came in contact with another person who has one of these, says I got a KILLER deal on it, so I guess that is cool.

The question I have relates to MIDI. I have NEVER used anything that functions with MIDI. I have a basic idea, I think, of what it does. Maybe I would be better off telling you what I want to accomplish and you could give me some pointers on how to do this...

I want to put the Herbert into a roadcase and run it with another head, something that has an awesome complimentary tone. I've been thinking about the Marshall JVM (or possibly the HandK Switchblade). I have 2 new cabinets I just got for both heads to run with, a Diezel and an Orange. I also have been looking at an effects unit like the G System, effects are VERY important to me, I use them quite a bit. (also been looking at some eventide stuff but it's really high cost and ive heard difficult to use).

How easy would it be to set up, lets say, the Herbert and the JVM, with a G system running to both, AND have all 3 switch together with the press of ONE button. So be in clean channel, both with a little delay, then press ONE button and have the effects change on the G system and both channels on each head??? I REALLY love my line6 head I've been using live for years because it's basically a 128 channel head and each time you press one button you can easily program a MAJOR change. On the other hand I've owned 13 different tube heads (all really nice) and it's time to step up the plate and go back to THAT sound. So basically I'm trying to get a tube rig running the same vane. I HATE tapdancing for effect/channel changes....

Also, utilizing a set up like this, did I waste money on the Footswitch I already purchased??

THANKS A MILLION in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer this!! I very much appreciate it. Nobody in my area runs a rig like this so it's REALLY hard to get some answers! I need SERIOUS PROFESSINAL HELP and I know here is where to get it!!!

ALSO if anyone has any very cool suggestions for another head to run with the Diezel that is also midi switchable (im guessing it has to be for my scheme) toss it out!! I'd like to check out a VHT but they aren't midi. A guy I talk to online runs a Herbert and an Uberschall but it's hard to get intouch with him and I don't feel like I know him well enough to ask for specifics.

yeah you can do that quite easily. thats just scrathin the surface of the MIDI world

Congradulations on ordering a Herbert and welcome to the B.O.D.
I also have one of those footswitches you purchased. I am sorry to tell you this but there were 200 of those prototypes built and sold. I bought mine brand new from Diezel for $200. Maybe they are going up in price due to their rarity value now.

They are fantastic for getting the switching done on a Herbert, or VH4. I do not use any midi stuff, so I cannot help you out there.

There really were 200 of these built?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250096322512&rd=1&rd=1

Yes, Uwe Salwender and Peter had them custom built but they were too heavy, yet EXTREMELY well made. They were experimenting with possible footswitching systems at that point. I think it was maybe 2-3 years ago.
I may be wrong on the number, but I think it was either 40 or 200 of them that were built. Hell, I only play these great amps, so don't hold me to my word.
Sorry if I am wrong, or for any confusion here. I remember Uwe telling me that they would not be building further examples of these and they were being sold quite fast to Diezel VH4 and Herbert players.

In any even, be lucky that you acquired one. Whatever the low number of them that there actually are, they are RARE to say the least.

Back