Your thoughts on the Einstein??

suhrimmetal

Interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on the Diezel Einstein. Specifically for Hard Rock, 80's hair metal, rock, blues, country hybrid twangin' :thumbsup: and more specifically for lead work.. no Nu Metal or Messugah type stuff. Didn't like to the Herbie all that much years ago when I had her.. to compressed, tight, hifi... great for single note riffing and 5th chords... not so much for string separation, articulation, or organic warmness. I know the Einstein is Peter's most open, organic gain structure.. How's she stack up against the so called BE100's, SLO's, VH4, etc??... For some reason this amp still really intrigues me and wondering if Im missing something special by not having one? :confused: I currently have a Gower/Fortin Killer Kali++ '84 JCM800(amazing amp) and a 5153(as backup amp)

To those more fortunate.. am I missing anything by not having an Einstein??... or Im a good to go with my Kali :rock: Ive owned Friedman modded marshalls, Suhr PT100, Bogner 20th XTC, Herbert, Cornford MK50II, and many more... those are all gone. What remains is the Gower Killer Kali++.. amp covers soooo much ground. Love to hear your thoughts. Always chasing tone, always chasing gear :rock: :doh: Cheers and all the best

Cory

I had an Einstein 100 W head and I loved that amp. I needed a 4 channel so I sold it to get a Hagen. I miss that amp a lot and one day will get me one again. I think your description of it is quite good. The Einstein can cover a lot of territory and for those styles you mention is just perfect. You have a great clean channel with twang if you want. The Texas mode was my favorite. Plug a Les Paul with PAF pickups and you reach tonal heaven with that mode. Mode 3 is an amazing rhythm sound that can fill in a mix still retaining the dynamics and "breath" of your playing. It is also able to add richness to your metal riffage if you need that. Channel 2 is the most compressed because is the lead mode. You plug your guitar direct to it without effects or other stomps and you have an amazing lead sound which is rich, full and harmonically complex and yet has that necessary compression to make your solos flow. Overall the voicing of that amp is a great blend of classic and modern, organic and open sounding with a powerful mid-range which is very well voiced.

I am still hoping that Peter one day releases an Einstein in a Hagen layout i.e. with the 4 independent channels and the other goodies. If that happens I am client number 1.

suhrimmetal":l3uqiyll said:
To those more fortunate.. am I missing anything by not having an Einstein??...
Yes you are :yes:

The Schmidt sounds a little more like what fits your punch list. It arguably has the best clean tone in a Diezel.

The initial reviews of the D Moll were that it was a perfected and tricked out Einy.

That said, I would think the Einstein would be a bit cheaper now.

Have the 50w head and love it. Very versatile, dynamic and articulate, responds great. Initially, I really liked the overall sound but thought chan. 2 had a bit too much gain since I don´t play lead. On a whim, I swapped the 12AX7´s in V1, V2 and the PI for 12AT7´s and love the difference in amount of gain. The volume drops a bit, but still has more than enough to offer.
Seems a bit warmer and less harsh in the treble to me, but I might be my imagination.
Either way, that did the trick for me and now I can´t see myself getting rid of it ever.

I play in a classic rock/blues band and we throw some Texas country in the mix. I rarely have to leave Texas mode. That channel is absolutely Amazing for mid gain crunch and can get a smidge hairy. I leave the amp gain cranked and I can just roll the volume down and pick lighter for amazing cleans or volume up and dig in for semi high gain. It boosts well too. I use a reverb and a carbon copy or memory man and I'm done.

Mega mode is a very, very nice high gain, but I find if I need high gain I tend to use channel 2 because I need to reset gain and volume for the channel 1 modes (which takes half a second at best). I just always want to return to Texas mode . Channel 2 is super compressed though. You've gotta be careful. I've modded mine to get rid of the extra compression and I'm much happier. All in all, for blues tones and the like, I like it better than Herbert, Hagen and VH4. It just sings.

There's a video of Einstein vs SLO out there somewhere and I liked Einey better in it.

Had an Einstein 100 , heavily gigged it with a metal band for three years. Loved it. Killer head with its own voice. Like a plexi on steroids but better. Great master volume. Typical diezel depth. Compressed liquid lead channel, crystal cleans, ac dc crunch, mega for metal rhythms .

Limited switching unless you mod it.

Had el34 mixed with 6550 in mine.

Sold it for a profit!

I've had mine for years and recently had the footswitch mod done and another mod to lessen the compression. I have to say, with those two mods I will keep this amp for life now! Also installed separate gain controls for mode 2 and 3 on channel one and its just killer!!
I wish the amp came stock this way but whatever. It is truly a 5 channel amp now with the 2nd master volume. Extremely versatile and sounds great with every channel. :rock:

Briefly played a combo with a 1x12 extension cab. Really liked the amp. Similar sound to a VH4, but with a more traditional feel (the VH4 has an extremely unique feel IMHO). Versatile and warm sounding to me. Huge sounding amp, like the other Diezel's live played. With a TC Flashback in the loop, it was lead playing madness.

I have had my Einstein 50 head for about 2 months now and am still discovering new things about it and absolutely love it.

I am used to using single channel amps, so the switching isn't an issue as I use my guitar volume a lot. The only thing I've changed is the preamp tube on ch2 which I replaced with a Mullard ECC81 to bring the gain down a bit. I'm pretty happy with the results.

The Einstein really is a great sounding amp that Im sure will stay with me. Just need to get a decent delay pedal now that's worthy of it as my DD2 sounds like ass in the loop.

I bought my Einstein without trying it and am very happy I did. Just what I was wanting - Diezel tone with a vintage flavour! :rock:

FourT6and2":2z1tf99t said:
I have a 1x12 50 watt combo. Great amp!

:thumbsup: That's saying alot knowing she was up against a CCV and VH4 ;) ...tho I know you didn't need the 'power' of the latter amps being you live in an apt. :rock: Good to hear the Einy can hold her own. If I can find a good deal I may just pick one up to try.. can always sell if not my thing

I had the 50w combo....loved it.
Had the four mode mod put in but found the volume dropped/ changed when switching modes.
Essentially you have your pick of the three modes and channel two.
The mega on ch1 is a very good marshally tone...clean was good too.
I would love it if you could get the clean on ch1 with mega and ch2
The dmoll may be able to do this...not sure
Einstein w/el34's is a killer amp for sure

I cannot say the Einstein was a bad amp but customers
missed the switching options including midi. The D-Moll
has it all.

Peter Diezel":20xsoipy said:
I cannot say the Einstein was a bad amp but customers
missed the switching options including midi. The D-Moll
has it all.

Thanks Peter... I really like the clips Ive heard of the gain structure in the Einstein.. much more organic and open but still with that diezel low end and thump that I like. Is the d-moll gain structure similar to the Einstein... more specifically mode 2 and 3 and channel 1?? I know Voodooman can mod a footswitch to cycle thru all the modes on ch 1 and 2.. as well as the Master 2. Cheers and all the best

Cory

The D-Moll is not similar because of the new transformers.

These have more headroom and are less compressed because
of the primary load. The circuit is similar but gives you a
less brittle gain structure on low settings. That was
customers complaints. There is always a small grade between
fast attack and fat tone. Metal heads want to play fast with
an easy attack and big definition between the notes. This will
kill a fluid lead tone in some cases. So we have channel 2 and 3
on the D-Moll to fit the needs.

I´m sorry that my English sucks but cheers to you, Cory

Peter Diezel":qjfp8gfc said:

Thanks Peter... Sounds like a great amp.. May have to look into a bit more I think :thumbsup:

I had a Herbert years back and tho a great amp and well designed, I found it too compressed and tight for my needs. Im by no means a metal guy or 7stringer, etc... I still like getting heavy with some modern hard rock, along with the classics(van halen, 80's hair metal, etc)... I am definitely a lead guy at heart (Gilbert, Timmons, Petrucci, Moore, Norum, Aldrich, etc) so I want an amp that is warm and has rich harmonics in the 'lead' channel...not too much fizz but just enough saturation to make it more playable and warm..if that makes sense. I'll look into the DMoll some more but I still haven't written off the Einstein :)

Cory

suhrimmetal":23cjy9wf said:
FourT6and2":23cjy9wf said:
I have a 1x12 50 watt combo. Great amp!

:thumbsup: That's saying alot knowing she was up against a CCV and VH4 ;) ...tho I know you didn't need the 'power' of the latter amps being you live in an apt. :rock: Good to hear the Einy can hold her own. If I can find a good deal I may just pick one up to try.. can always sell if not my thing

I think the VH4 has more balls than the Einstein. But it was a 100 watter and I ran it with a 4x12 at a good volume. So maybe no a fair comparison. And I think the Einstein fits my needs better at the moment. The CCV is a completely different sound altogether. And I like it a lot as well, just can't put it to good use. In a perfect world, I'd have them all. :D I never really looked into the D-Moll, though.

Peter Diezel":2uwu7jpp said:

Hey Peter.. just letting you know that I have a D-Moll headed my way.. Have her next week. Thanks for your responses and input. I hope I dig her :thumbsup: :yes: Cheers and all the best

Cory

Back