Buying my first Diezel VH4, looking for some advice

O731

Hey guys I decided to get a Diezel VH4 amp. I was in the market to buy a high gain amp, with a nice clean and crunch as well. I also like tighter distorted tones, such 80's Metal tones like Van Halen-esque type tones.

So one of my questions was: I was having trouble deciding what tubes I wanted. I've done my researched, even read the official PDF thing with the recommended stock tubes. However, I wanted to get some opinions from you seasoned users in order to make the right decision...

As for my style, I'm going for that Pop metal type with a darker/goth vibe, but still want to be able to dip into that brighter/earthy/woody type territory as well. So I'm gonna want tubes that give good tight lows (think dual recto type lows), bright high's, and not overly "mid" out, though I don't want something too scooped sounding. My play style is very rhyhmatic and groovy/funky. More chords and such rather than lead shredding. So I switch between cleans/high gain/ and crunch alot. So you could say it's more Rock/hard rock than metal, but with a heavy dark vibe (sorry for the nitpicky details, I seem to be having trouble articulating my thoughts that well :LOL: :LOL: )

Also for cabinets/speakers. So i looked into cabinets, I might get a bogner cab or a diezel cab, front loaded too (unless you recommend otherwise) V30's seem to be the way to go, but I also read somewhere that T75's go well with Diezel's unless i'm mistaken.

If you guys could help me out, I will highly appreciate it! :thumbsup:

O731":2yew8vww said:
Hey guys I decided to get a Diezel VH4 amp. I was in the market to buy a high gain amp, with a nice clean and crunch as well. I also like tighter distorted tones, such 80's Metal tones like Van Halen-esque type tones.

So one of my questions was: I was having trouble deciding what tubes I wanted. I've done my researched, even read the official PDF thing with the recommended stock tubes. However, I wanted to get some opinions from you seasoned users in order to make the right decision...

As for my style, I'm going for that Pop metal type with a darker/goth vibe, but still want to be able to dip into that brighter/earthy/woody type territory as well. So I'm gonna want tubes that give good tight lows (think dual recto type lows), bright high's, and not overly "mid" out, though I don't want something too scooped sounding. My play style is very rhyhmatic and groovy/funky. More chords and such rather than lead shredding. So I switch between cleans/high gain/ and crunch alot. So you could say it's more Rock/hard rock than metal, but with a heavy dark vibe (sorry for the nitpicky details, I seem to be having trouble articulating my thoughts that well :LOL: :LOL: )

Also for cabinets/speakers. So i looked into cabinets, I might get a bogner cab or a diezel cab, front loaded too (unless you recommend otherwise) V30's seem to be the way to go, but I also read somewhere that T75's go well with Diezel's unless i'm mistaken.

If you are buying a new Diezel, the best tubes are the ones that come in it. You can roll tubes all day long and come back to where you started. If you buy used, be careful. You never know what tube experiments some knucklehead has been doing with this gem of an amp. Tubes have less of an impact than you think with the VH4 except in different families of power tubes.

Keep it in the family with cabs if you can. The German front loaded Diezel is the best for me and I have passed it through many different ones. V30's or K100's are the speaker of choice. I thought the 75's sounded like ass. You need something to keep things controlled and tight.

steve_k":2hr5y0lp said:
O731":2hr5y0lp said:

If you are buying a new Diezel, the best tubes are the ones that come in it. You can roll tubes all day long and come back to where you started. If you buy used, be careful. You never know what tube experiments some knucklehead has been doing with this gem of an amp. Tubes have less of an impact than you think with the VH4 except in different families of power tubes.

Keep it in the family with cabs if you can. The German front loaded Diezel is the best for me and I have passed it through many different ones. V30's or K100's are the speaker of choice. I thought the 75's sounded like ass. You need something to keep things controlled and tight.
Um.... Jaaaaayzeus Steve where'd ya get THAT avatar :2thumbsup:

OP, apologies, could....not....read....post....
...must......fap.

:LOL: :LOL:

You're over thinking it. Buy a VH4. Stick tubes in it and rock out. Just stick with the tubes that Peter recommends. Speakers will make much more of a difference. With respect to speakers, I like V30s. I'd be interesting to hear the VH4 with something greenback-like; but the V30 sounds like the speaker you're describing that you want. If you don't want something scooped sounding, please stay away from the T75 speakers. No experience with a front loaded cab, sorry.

Ya, have to agree - don't romanticize the amp and get all weird about it in your psyche (it's okay, we're all guilty of doing this) - just buy it. I'd not worry about the tubes whatsoever right now until you get it and play it for a good 25 hours. I'm a fan of 6550s, but then, I really dig KT77s too. As for cabinets - live applications tend to dig V30s, everything else likes G12K100s.

Peace,
Uncle Mo

My opinion would be that 6L6s in general favor those characteristics you seek, but the tonal effect of the powertubes is not that dramatic. Peter Diezel goes through a lot of trouble to find the tubes that work best in terms of sound, but also in terms of reliability. Stick with the KT-77s he is currently using and be happy that you don't have to go through the trouble of finding a reliable set of tubes.

Concerning cabs: Generally speaking I usually don't like T75s with Diezels, but there are exceptions. Rather go for the K100s, they offer you a "better/more-pronounced" high- and low-end. I mix the K100s with V30, because I love the V30 for all my high-gain sounds, but for my cleans I like the K100s high-end blended in. Also the K100 helps me hear myself better when using earplugs.

Have fun with your new baby!

Damn I really appreciate the detailed responses folks. Really considering mixing the K100s and V30's too. The reason why im asking about tubes is cuz I wanna get my amp off this site: http://www.mattsmusic.com/Diezel6-cat.html And apparently i get to select which tubes I want from a list.

Man I seriously can not WAIT for this amp though! :rock:

I'd say just go with the stock tubes that were put in there by the good folks at Diezel in Germany as a starting point and don't worry! And insist that each tube is a stock Diezel tube and not something else they might try and sneak in there :p (does mattsmusic pull them all out and then swap them or something??? Pretty unnecessary imho)

kahawe":5b1jd65f said:
Ventura":5b1jd65f said:
...must......fap. :LOL: :LOL:
man, good thing you shared that with us!! I think I'm going to touch some filter caps to zap that picture and its memory! :aww: ;)

I would be excited about that sexy avi as well, but when you got a diezel on your mind, a half naked beautiful woman is the last thing I wanna fap to :D

Kev":2ow73068 said:
My opinion would be that 6L6s in general favor those characteristics you seek, but the tonal effect of the powertubes is not that dramatic. Peter Diezel goes through a lot of trouble to find the tubes that work best in terms of sound, but also in terms of reliability. Stick with the KT-77s he is currently using and be happy that you don't have to go through the trouble of finding a reliable set of tubes.

Concerning cabs: Generally speaking I usually don't like T75s with Diezels, but there are exceptions. Rather go for the K100s, they offer you a "better/more-pronounced" high- and low-end. I mix the K100s with V30, because I love the V30 for all my high-gain sounds, but for my cleans I like the K100s high-end blended in. Also the K100 helps me hear myself better when using earplugs.

Have fun with your new baby!

My Diezel cab has the 75's and the 30's in an x pattern and I love it. For those that want to hear the 4 with grennies? check out this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKszpMKkNHM

PaulyPanacea":2c478k8i said:
ill keep my mouth shut regarding power tubes. :rock: these heads slay regardless... :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't say anything either.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The initials begin with 6550 though :thumbsup:

PaulyPanacea":2b0ugrih said:
ill keep my mouth shut regarding power tubes. :rock: these heads slay regardless... :LOL: :LOL:
Pauly's here cuz someone mentioned the word 'fap'.

[PS: YO BRETHREN WHERE THE HELL YA BEEN MAN!?!?!?! My OTHER 6550 Brotha!!]

i plead the 5th!!

and mixing V30s & K100s will take you far tonewise!! Take it from me..and the Stomp!!

and all..i am alive & well. i hope all of you are doing well!!! :rock:

PaulyPanacea":1kbmtfqo said:
i plead the 5th!!

and mixing V30s & K100s will take you far tonewise!! Take it from me..and the Stomp!!

and all..i am alive & well. i hope all of you are doing well!!! :rock:

Pauly......

What are those things biased at that you have your hands on in your avatar :D ?

Back