Finally played the DMoll!

Ventura

What were the facts on it, man? What stood out the most? Highlights? Do let me know.

Peace
Unc' Mo

DMoll is a great amp, clean - crunch - grind - pummeling metal tones. Takes a boost well too which makes the attack very tight. For a budget Diezel you can't go wrong. ;)

I found it a bit dark for my liking, but that's just my opinion.

Loved the clean and thought the price point was great for an amp of that quality & versatility.

Takes a little time to set EQ, Presence and if using mid cut - just a little tweaking. I don't find it dark unless you want it to be. I did notice when using different guitars the tonal character of each one comes out really well. I have mid cut on with intensity and level set around 1:00-2:00 and it's massive

I just got mine a few days ago. I must say that it's superb in every way. There are some interesting interactions in the tone network and some very useful controls, so it's not obvious at first how to dial in a variety of tones with the right mount of brightness, bass, and of course mids. However, after spending some time with it, I'm floored by how versatile it is. First of all, it was supposed to be named D-Mon (Demon) and is marketed like a thrash amp, but oh man does it do so much more. I had an Einstein a while back which I longed to own again, but the D-Moll has successfully killed my desire to own another. I found the Einstein to be a bit hi-fi so it didn't really produce convincing blues and classic rock sounds. It still sounded like a metal amp doing blues and classic rock.

Enter the D-Moll. It's smoother and much more versatile than I thought it would be. It's capable of very convincing blues and classic rock tones as well as all kinds of jazz and fusion sounds - but then it does absolutely everything else all the way far into the land of hardcore metal. Well I might exaggerating a tiny bit because I the D-Moll seems a bit too refined to get a hardcore tone. If you wanted that, an Engl Powerball would blow it away. However, if you use ceramic or active pickups and utilize the mid-cut controls, you can pull of any kind of metal.

At first I thought it was kind of dark, but I had to play around without the mid-cut to get it where I wanted channel 3 to be. Now I can switch over to channel 2 and engage the mid-cut for heavy riffing tone and use channel 3 for lead tones. It's actually a pretty crunchy sounding amp if you are brave enough to bump up the presence and treble. A lot of guys dread the ice pick and are very conservative with their presence control, but the controls are very responsive and setting it just above 12:00 brings out a real nice high end edge.

One of the great things about the D-Moll is that you can overdrive the hell out of the clean channel and it doesn't sound shitty. I have tried that with many amps and then I switch to the neck pickup and my low E, A & D strings get all compressed like they're blanketed. The D-Moll doesn't suffer from that so I can turn up my favorite overdrives and free to use my neck pickup all I want.

The D-Moll is just freaking incredible and way more versatile than it's marketed to be. If it really is a demonic metal amp, then I don't really hear that necessarily unless you tweak it to sound that way. The Powerball, Savage or even Dual Rectifiers are more demonic.

JimmyBlind":2ij09i66 said:
I found it a bit dark for my liking, but that's just my opinion.

Loved the clean and thought the price point was great for an amp of that quality & versatility.

I think a lot of high-gain amps are relatively dark these days, but amps like the XTC, Invader and D-Moll seem to have just the right kind of midrange cut that allows them to sit perfectly on a mix without being piercing. I was thinking it was dark at first, but after comparing it directly to my Splawn Quickrod which is on the bright side, it's really pretty cutting. It took me a while playing with and without the mid-cut to get the hang of it. All of the controls on the D-Moll are pretty interactive so I'm not going to say that it's necessarily a plug-and-play amp.

ubermetaldood":1pp1vhha said:
It's smoother and much more versatile than I thought it would be.

All you said ubermetaldood is completely true for me as well.
It sounded dark the first weeks until I understood how to dial in. Also I get 2 completely different sound whether I use my RL v30 or FL K100. I was not believing anybody that there could be so much of a difference, until I get both aside.
I got it to play mostly metal but I ended up playing all other styles as well. The clean channel is just so nicely voiced.
I still get one of my best metal tone out of channel 3, with mid-cut for riffing and without for solos.

The features are far enough for me (with the 2 switchable loops, mid-cut and 2 masters).

I think if Dmoll was in the same price range than the other Diezels (Hagen or Herbert), I would still get Dmoll.
With unlimited budget I would have Hagen also (which is the best comprise in the Diezel range IMHO) !!! :LOL: :LOL:

In Dmoll I trust !

Faxanadu":163gkjzh said:
ubermetaldood":163gkjzh said:
It's smoother and much more versatile than I thought it would be.

All you said ubermetaldood is completely true for me as well.
It sounded dark the first weeks until I understood how to dial in. Also I get 2 completely different sound whether I use my RL v30 or FL K100. I was not believing anybody that there could be so much of a difference, until I get both aside.
I got it to play mostly metal but I ended up playing all other styles as well. The clean channel is just so nicely voiced.
I still get one of my best metal tone out of channel 3, with mid-cut for riffing and without for solos.

The features are far enough for me (with the 2 switchable loops, mid-cut and 2 masters).

I think if Dmoll was in the same price range than the other Diezels (Hagen or Herbert), I would still get Dmoll.
With unlimited budget I would have Hagen also (which is the best comprise in the Diezel range IMHO) !!! :LOL: :LOL:

In Dmoll I trust !

I've always wanted a Herbert so if I had the money that would be the first one I would get. I have played the Hagen though and it's incredible. May I ask what settings you use for scooped metal sounds?

ubermetaldood":20sj92r0 said:
I've always wanted a Herbert so if I had the money that would be the first one I would get. I have played the Hagen though and it's incredible. May I ask what settings you use for scooped metal sounds?

Yes of course.
I am not a big user or abuser of mid-cut, I like the Diezel mid-range too much to cut it.
But here is how I scoop it when I get the virus:

Scoop metal sound for me on Dmoll = Channel 3 mid-cut ON.
Gain = 12.30
Channel Volume = 11.00
Bass = 11.00
Mid = 12.00
Treble = 13.00
Mid-cut Intensity = 14.00
Mid-cut Volume = 13.00
Deep = 10.30
Presence = 14.00
Master Volume = Do what you can !

As you can see I never go EXTREME with Dmoll, it is really not necessary.
This setting sounds great to MY ears with my FL G12K100 Diezel cab.
Does not work for me on my RL V30.
Same settings but on Channel 2 does not sound good to me, it is surprising.

Also you should know I play exclusively passive humbuckers.

Hope it helped.
Let me know what is the result on your side.

Cheers.

Reza I'm surprised you just now played a D-Moll lol.

Mine hasn't seen much use since my band broke up =( I took it over a co-workers place so he could try it out with his band and he was amazed.

While he was playing I was instantly reminded of the total versatility of this thing. He plays older blues, classic rock and some covers, and I'm just a crazy metal guy. Was really cool to see it in a different setting.

ubermetaldood":156ur2rm said:
First of all, it was supposed to be named D-Mon (Demon) and is marketed like a thrash amp
Do you have a source for that claim? afaik "demon" was just a hicc-up that happened at the namm and some youtube-interviewer read the name wrong off the faceplate. And the "thrash" part, no idea where that comes from, especially with a great clean and lowgain Ch1 like that.

I'd be interested to know what the official reasons were for discontinuing the Einstein. I always figured that the Einstein was created to be a more affordable, less-functional version of the VH4. The Einstein did feel more open to my ears though, so perhaps was voiced for a different application upon its invention.
Either the Einstein didn't sit well tonally with the rest of the product line, or the amp had a lot of criticism, functionally. The amp sounded great, but I know I personally wasn't a fan of the way the amp was set up, especially after having owned a VH4 previously.
I would think Diezel will sell many more D-Molls than they did Einsteins.

On used market the Einsteins are pretty reasonable, I played one years ago (50w) and wasn't too impressed...the D-Moll I am still very impressed by it. Sure Diezel could probably make 20 different amps like some other mfg's but :dunno: they probably are better off with 5-6.

I have a Herbert on the way so needless to say I'm interested to hear how they compare since some tout the D-Moll as a lower wattage Herbert with similar low end feel.

Back