Thinking of getting a D-Moll: Few questions

btdvox

Hey there guys,

I'm thinking of getting a D-Moll for my first Diezel. I've wanted a Diezel for a long time and although I don't play metal, I think it would sound great for rock and hard rock. I'll be mostly playing Joe Satriani covers and 80's style rock songs and it seems without the Mid-Cut, it can do those styles too.

One thing I can't find much info on is if it comes with a Footswitch or not?

I know you can buy the Columbus pedal separately but I don't really need to MIDI capabilities.

Thanks in advance!

Well I just got mine a few days ago so I'm not an expert yet, but since no one else has responded yet, I'll tell you what I know about it so far. First of all, I play pretty much Satch/Maiden style soloing 95% of the time, so I'm pretty much like you probably. The D-Moll is more refined and less hi-fi than I remember my Einstein sounding, so I think it's a lot more versatile because you can actually get convincing blues and classic rock sounds. It won't sound like a metal amp trying to do blues.

The mid-cut is incredible because it's not a simple mid-cut that you turn up or down. It's accompanied by a level control which adds volume that you lose from cutting out mids. The manual says it affects the low mids around 400hz, and it does seem to do what while leaving high mids in tact, so you still cut through a mix even when using the mid cut.

The mid-cut level control can be used as a 3rd master volume which is cool if you want to run the master and channel volumes high but keep the amp at a lower volume level. This is why I suggest getting a good MIDI footswitch because all of the features you will want to end up using will require programming a footswitch.

I personally won't spend $600 on a Columbus, so I too am searching the market for a MIDI foot controller. Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase.

If you want to switch channels/effects without using the front-panel, you'll need to invest in a midi controller of some description. Diezel don't supply a foot controller with their amps except for the Schmidt, as I recall.

I ran an FCB1010 a few years back with a VH4 absolutely fine. You don't need to spend a lot of money nor program the controller itself. It's really as simple as "press bank 1 pedal 1" on your foot controller, set up the amp as you would like that switch to engage & hit 'store' on the amp. Voila.

I've never understood why Midi Foot Controllers are so expensive given how relatively unsophisticated they are.

D-Moll was my first Diezel also. Total versatility much like the other Diezel amps.

Diezel does make a non-midi footswitch (FS7HE) but they're pretty hard to find last I checked.

I bought a Rolls/RFX Midi Buddy pretty cheap and that works great and can get its power from the D-Moll
I use my D-Moll for Stevie Ray Vaughn, 70s Rock, 80s Rock, all the way to Modern like Three Days Grace, etc... It covers a lot of ground pretty well.
Ch1 Clean no mid cut is my Standard Clean. Hit it with a TubeScreamer and you're full on blues.
Ch1 with Mid Cut is another good clean especially with a Strummy song.
Ch2 no Mid Cut is my Main Rhythm.
Ch3 no Mid Cut gets me 80s and some pretty good George Lynch Sounds with just a MXR Carbon Copy.
Ch3 no Mid Cut using Master 2 is my Solo Tone, sometimes I'll hit the Tube Screamer for a little something extra on top of that.
Diezels especially the D-Moll wants low Masters. Mine are Master1 at 9:00 and master 2 at 10:00
I have all ny channel volumes near 12:00 with adjustments to make my clean and Ch2 & Ch3 rhythms equall in a Band Mix.

Kruegmeister":8wv0r0gm said:
Diezels especially the D-Moll wants low Masters. Mine are Master1 at 9:00 and master 2 at 10:00
I have all ny channel volumes near 12:00 with adjustments to make my clean and Ch2 & Ch3 rhythms equall in a Band Mix.

Interesting what you say...
Can you explain me why it's like that ?
As a matter of experience with Dmoll, I like my sound much better with Low Master volume and high Channel Volume, than with high Master Volume and low Channel volume.

Master Volume at 10:00 is already crazy loud !!!

Faxanadu":3lnw9g01 said:
Kruegmeister":3lnw9g01 said:

Interesting what you say...
Can you explain me why it's like that ?
As a matter of experience with Dmoll, I like my sound much better with Low Master volume and high Channel Volume, than with high Master Volume and low Channel volume.

Master Volume at 10:00 is already crazy loud !!!

I know that Marshalls generally like a High Master because their Signature Tone is made with Power Amp Distortion.
I wanted to try different Settings on my D-Moll and I did not like High Masters with Low Channel Volumes.
Some people I have read use Masters almost all the Way Down.
I also Considered the Settings that Ola Englund Demonstrated here
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Diezel_D_Moll_Amp_Review
Looking at my Last "Backup Settings" Picture, my Channel Volumes are Lower than I had Stated
Here is Exactly my Settings
E17EF8E1-4498-4FD9-8670-9D43A22124A3.jpg

Thank you very much for sharing.
We have almost the same settings on Channel 2 and 3, I am surprised !!!!
But I use Master 2 higher for channel 1, that's where I might look weird...

Back