Serial Number Help On A VH4

Dark Helmet":o2b76xox said:
I heard the sound clips and yes there is a difference. I do hear the frequency difference but it seems that the unmodded version sounds gainier (due to it having more compression I'm sure) and makes me wonder what would happen if the gain was turned down a bit on the un-modded one. I actually went to his site to check out the clips. he has the clips with and without the mods. If you listen to channel 4 clips it sounds like channel four un modded isn't recorded at the same volume. Not sure how scientific this is. I certainly do believe that there is a difference no doubt about it.

I used to have a Rev. Blue Uberschall that I had modded to open it up a bit more and though I did open it up more I think I may have lost the tightness in the amp and eventually sold it. A bit skeptical about modding amps these days, and trust me I have modded everything I have owned (Of which I have none left) except for the last batch of amps I have had.

Sigma did you ever gig the un-modded and modded VH4's and what were your conclusions?

I know what you mean. Even though it is labeled as "Heavy," the gain was not very high. My VH4 is less compressed (not by too much), but is still tight as hell and very gainy haha. I actually have my gain around 10-11 O'clock with my lower output pickups and that covers Tool-Heavier stuff easily. Channel 4 for mine did get a "boost" in volume after the update it seemed, but I figured it was tube related? Probably a less compression thing?

I also forgot to mention, that was recorded with EL34BGs which are kinda lame sounding compared to the KT77s I run now. Those BGs almost felt like I needed to push the gain a lot higher to achieve the same sounds I am now. I remember running the gain around 1 O'clock in those days with a Duncan JB which is higher output (my new pickups are designed by myself with Seymour Duncan and are pretty low output).

As far as gigging, I played my VH4 with a guy who was visiting a friend with his 2011+ VH4 and they were pretty much hand in hand other than he had EL34s of some kind (winged C maybe?). So, I would safely say the update definitely pushed it into that territory. I, also, played a small show back before I was updated and I played a medium sized show with a friends band a few months ago. There is a definite clarity/definition difference now and I absolutely destroyed my friend's Dual Rec. which sounded kinda mushy/muddy and muffled in comparison. I am very happy with the update at Ludicrous volumes. bedroom volumes, it was noticeable, but not like WOW...

All in all, though, you will like your VH4 with or without the update. I would have never needed it or thought about doing it if I didn't send my amp to Diezel for some maintenance due to the moron before I owned it lying to me about it's life with him. :cry: I loved it before and love it now and always will.

Cool!

I have something up my sleeve that will garner me the added punch should I need it with the one I have coming in. I only play low output pick ups because I think they sound bigger and have more punch and clarity. I've been playing low output pickups for years in my Pauls. It will be interesting to see when I get it.

Dark Helmet":2lsaxi8e said:
Cool!

I have something up my sleeve that will garner me the added punch should I need it with the one I have coming in. I only play low output pick ups because I think they sound bigger and have more punch and clarity. I've been playing low output pickups for years in my Pauls. It will be interesting to see when I get it.

I agree with that completely!

Back