Serial Number Help On A VH4

Dark Helmet

I'm looking at a used VH4 that has a written serial number of either 090-1058 or 0910-1058. Any help dating this would be appreciated.

Dark Helmet":2dij55y0 said:
How does the 09 version sound in comparison to earlier VH4's.

Similarly different!? (Doesn't make sense, but that is the only way I can describe it haha.)

To expand, I have only played my 07 VH4 and I also had it "updated" in 2011, but I have read a lot about the 05 and earlier vs the (as many say [maybe confirmed by Peter], the circuit changed a bit around 07 and again in 11) 2007 and up. From what I gathered the tone overall is a bit brighter and has a little more gain and bottom end. It is easier to make the newer versions "sound like" the older ones than to make the older "sound like" the newer ones. The Diezel tone is prominent in all of them (obviously), but there are some small "minor" differences (similarly different... haha).

I can attempt to dig up more if you would like?

Dark Helmet":2yhannjl said:
It's on it's way and you can bet I'll be playing it at ludicrous volumes. :D

I can guarantee that your Schwartz will never go limp if you do this! (I recall that happening in Space Balls, but I have not seen the movie in many years...??)

So I gather that the 2011 and up are brighter, with more gain and bottom end as compaired to the 2009 version? I think that would all be relative to tubes and the way one one likes to dial their amps in. I also heard that the newer versions have less compression. I wonder which model year that took place.

Dark Helmet":2tgxkyns said:
So I gather that the 2011 and up are brighter, with more gain and bottom end as compaired to the 2009 version? I think that would all be relative to tubes and the way one one likes to dial their amps in. I also heard that the newer versions have less compression. I wonder which model year that took place.

I think it is 2007 and up that have those details. I believe 2011 gained a bit more "presence" and, as you said, this can all be adjusted with dialing and tube swap. Very minimal differences.

When I had my 2007 "updated" by Diezel, I was told the amp will open up a little more, channel 1 will improve and 2,3 g4 will have a little more bite. After having it for a year before having it updated and now 2+ years updated, I can say that the low end didn't change, the tone is over all the same and it pretty much changed to what they described to me. The most noticeable being on channel 1,2 and 4.

Dark Helmet":13s7lhfd said:
Cool good to know. I'll be living on CH3 for the most part. Can't wait. \:D/

And, I was going through the emails, 2011 was the last change for the VH4 according to Jens who worked with Diezel. The biggest change was the transparency and clean channel. For instance, I was told by him to plug a tele or strat into channel 4 with high gain (I did this; my first guitar was a strat) and if I could hear the difference. After I got her back, that was the fist thing I did and I could hear the twang and bite of the single coils with the gain cranked.

These were all upgrades that I had done that Peter perfected in 2011 for the VH4. Jens was located in the US and worked directly with Peter on doing these. So, I think the only way to get these done now is to send the amp to Peter himself (not sure where you are located?), but the VH4s sound fine without the updates. :) you will love it either way.

If you go to the Diezel soundclip section, look for VH4 CH3 heavy by Jens Kruse and that is a recording of my VH4 done by Jens after the update. You will hear the differences, but also hear that they aren't detrimental ;)

Me":1thrwl7o said:
Dark Helmet":1thrwl7o said:
Any help dating this would be appreciated.
I love my Herbert but I've never considered going on a date with it. :LOL: :LOL:

I have done things to my VH4 that I HOPE Peter would be proud of... I have stripped her, put cylindrical objects in her, turned her ON, poked her insides with two metal pointy sticks (because I am classy; the were red and black) and then, I made her scream ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Yep, If you really love an amp you have to feel it from the inside. Make sure you know what you're doing though or she may get very upset if you fiddle her without knowin what you're doing though. Mods should only be done by or under strict supervision of Pimp Papa. Hehehe. :LOL: :LOL:

I heard the sound clips and yes there is a difference. I do hear the frequency difference but it seems that the unmodded version sounds gainier (due to it having more compression I'm sure) and makes me wonder what would happen if the gain was turned down a bit on the un-modded one. I actually went to his site to check out the clips. he has the clips with and without the mods. If you listen to channel 4 clips it sounds like channel four un modded isn't recorded at the same volume. Not sure how scientific this is. I certainly do believe that there is a difference no doubt about it.

I used to have a Rev. Blue Uberschall that I had modded to open it up a bit more and though I did open it up more I think I may have lost the tightness in the amp and eventually sold it. A bit skeptical about modding amps these days, and trust me I have modded everything I have owned (Of which I have none left) except for the last batch of amps I have had.

Sigma did you ever gig the un-modded and modded VH4's and what were your conclusions?

Back