VH4 Died last night

Krowsif

HELP!!!!!! THE GREATEST AMP IN THE WORLD DIED ON ME LAST NIGHT

Not really looking for anyone other than Peter on this one. My VH4 looked as though the power died... checked the back and it had number 4 tube fault lit up. I didn't think that would cause all the lights to go out and sound output to die.........

I am totally willing to package in the original box and send to Germany.

PETER HELP!

Or you might replace the tubes and put a new fuse in it.
I'm not a doctor or anything but it might be a bit cheaper and easier than shipping an amp to another continent.

As above. Replace the main fuse if the amp isn't turning on. Make sure you get the correct slow blow fuse. There may even be a spare in the fuse tray.

The amp will almost certainly require either replacement fuses or tubes.

If a fuse blew....would the tube fault light function?

Would the amp not turn off completely? I'm not trying to be 'smart' ... I really don't know

I'm just confused.. i thought the amp would finish a show with a bad tube.... they work on a pair or something

And if it was a fuse, I thought it wouldn't light up anything.... But the number 4 tube fault light was on

thanks for your responses... this is a heartbreaking moment

If the power fuse has gone, no power would go to the amp, not even the tube fault LED.

If one tube goes, the pair is isolated & the amp runs on two power tubes. I'm just thinking out loud here, but in the unlikely event that a tube from one pair is fucked & a fuse for the other remaining pair is also fucked, you may have no power section.

Make sure no devices are in the loops. I've had a couple of times where I thought my VH4 was knackered & I had foolishly half-pulled a lead out of an FX pedal with the loop engaged.

If you can pick up some spare fuses & a testing quad of power tubes, you can get to the bottom of it fairly quickly. I wouldn't panic just yet.

JimmyBlind":ei4dk4fz said:
If the power fuse has gone, no power would go to the amp, not even the tube fault LED.

If one tube goes, the pair is isolated & the amp runs on two power tubes. I'm just thinking out loud here, but in the unlikely event that a tube from one pair is fucked & a fuse for the other remaining pair is also fucked, you may have no power section.

Make sure no devices are in the loops. I've had a couple of times where I thought my VH4 was knackered & I had foolishly half-pulled a lead out of an FX pedal with the loop engaged.

If you can pick up some spare fuses & a testing quad of power tubes, you can get to the bottom of it fairly quickly. I wouldn't panic just yet.

Not trying to pick apart details here, but to my understanding Vh4 doesn't run in pairs it runs a full quad and each tube has it's own fault system so 1 tube blown means it goes into 3 tube mode not 2.

slyvren":28ejym5j said:
JimmyBlind":28ejym5j said:

Not trying to pick apart details here, but to my understanding Vh4 doesn't run in pairs it runs a full quad and each tube has it's own fault system so 1 tube blown means it goes into 3 tube mode not 2.

I have a 2006 vh4 and the tubes are run as a quad, unlike the Herbie or Hagen that are in pairs..

Peter Diezel":1oei3jzz said:
Replied.

Don´t panic, I´m here for assistance :yes:

I appreciate your support. And I'm not going to panic over getting it repaired......

just over playing through someone else's amp....for any period of time :no:

Looks like I need a backup Diezel :rock:

JimmyBlind":1a9ak94e said:
What was the problem?

awaiting a repair.... still unsure

Although I never post.... I never really had a reason to. I will definitely update with what the problem was as soon as it's repaired

I'd be interested to know. Touch wood, i've only had one major problem with a Diezel (einstein) & I part exchanged it in its U/S state & never got to the bottom of it. Everything else has been absolutely solid.

I own a VH4, so if there are any 'common' problems with the amp, it may help diagnose potential problems in the future.

Cheers

Ignore all this,, clearly the amp is dead, no good anymore. I would be willing to buy it for cheap. I..... recycle amps?

:D

jk, but what was the end result here?

Common issues with tube amps are the tubes.
A tube can stay for 2 seconds or 20 years.
A spare set of tubes and fuses would be good
also any backup amp.

Want to thank Peter and Peter for the support in getting the amp repaired without having to deal with customs to and from Germany. Thank you so much for the assistance!

Truly top notch customer service from a builder of world class amplifiers!

Thanks again guys!

Well if it's good enough for these guys...

SunnO1.jpg

:D :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Back