Schmidt crazy random price /My first Diezel will be the last

c_planet

Hello,

I live in Belgium. I've bought my Schmidt head, two years ago, at price of 2300 euros by Thomann (great amp, indeed).

I think its price has been always changing ... but now ...., guess what ? I see that the Thomann price has dropped to 1600 euros.

My God ! Drop of 700 euros, ... the entire price of a good 2x12 cabinet. Now, I'm so disappointed, I can't sell it any more without losing hundreds of euros.

I find it really annoying ... and even disrespectful for the buyers. Buying Diezel amp is finally the same thing that playing on the stock market ...

I think I will buy no more Diezel, if randomly my amp can lose 30% or more of its value. I will look at the brands that keep almost constant prices in their catalog.

Thanks for reading. :cry:

No one cares. Diezel rules you drool. Good riddance.

You don't deserve a diezel if you would choose $ over tone.

Sell it and get the bugera you dream of.

You should consider that the retailers prices are not set by Diezel. Maybe Thomann lowered the price because it is an older model and not selling so well as the newer amps. As far as I know (from what Peter Diezel said about prices) Diezel only adjusts the prices when the production costs change.

Kev":3qswxo7f said:
You should consider that the retailers prices are not set by Diezel. Maybe Thomann lowered the price because it is an older model and not selling so well as the newer amps. As far as I know (from what Peter Diezel said about prices) Diezel only adjusts the prices when the production costs change.
This.

Kev":3uluivd3 said:
Maybe Thomann lowered the price because it is an older model and not selling so well as the newer amps. As far as I know (from what Peter Diezel said about prices) Diezel only adjusts the prices when the production costs change.

No chance, the amps are even not in stock. They are waiting it from Diezel or intermediate distributor I guess.

And if it's an special offer on older model; tell me where are the others great 2400€ heads from other brands sold 1500€ on Thomann ??

Kev":3uluivd3 said:
You should consider that the retailers prices are not set by Diezel.

so, if retailers can lower prices on diezel and not on other brands, the issue is the same, diezel is no more in my whish list.

crankyrayhanky":3uluivd3 said:
It's not like it was 2weeks ago- 2 years
Enjoy your rig & stop counting numbers

I was enjoying a head that I could exchange against other great amps (maybe a bogner shiva). - every story has its end.

After 2,4,6 years, amp heads are not supposed to have the price divided by their age. You can buy a 2500€ model and exchange it, during years and years, against many others used high-end heads.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I wish I had my time back that I spent reading this dribble! :doh: :doh: :doh:

Op read the second line of my sig below and move on to your next amp! :thumbsup:

c_planet":1rzvhswz said:
Kev":1rzvhswz said:
Maybe Thomann lowered the price because it is an older model and not selling so well as the newer amps. As far as I know (from what Peter Diezel said about prices) Diezel only adjusts the prices when the production costs change.

No chance, the amps are even not in stock. They are waiting it from Diezel or intermediate distributor I guess.

And if it's an special offer on older model; tell me where are the others great 2400€ heads from other brands sold 1500€ on Thomann ??

Kev":1rzvhswz said:
You should consider that the retailers prices are not set by Diezel.

so, if retailers can lower prices on diezel and not on other brands, the issue is the same, diezel is no more in my whish list.

crankyrayhanky":1rzvhswz said:
It's not like it was 2weeks ago- 2 years
Enjoy your rig & stop counting numbers

I was enjoying a head that I could exchange against other great amps (maybe a bogner shiva). - every story has its end.

After 2,4,6 years, amp heads are not supposed to have the price divided by their age. You can buy a 2500€ model and exchange it, during years and years, against many others used high-end heads.
Go.....away..... :confused:

c_planet":6ql3zmp7 said:

Retailers change the prices across all brands all the time. A few years ago the Mesa Boogie Rectifier Solo Heads kept getting cheaper and cheaper (down to 1400€ as far as I remember). The ENGL Invader also used to be more expensive and those are just two examples of thousands. Another big reason and the more common one (sorry I forgot to mention it earlier) is that some other European store changed the price. Usually all the other big stores then adjust their prices to compete with that.

I can tell you one thing: The change in price most likely has NOTHING to do with Diezel itself. It's the market and the Schmidt is just one of thousands of amps that got cheaper and this was the one case you noticed. I once saw some Les Paul drop from 1500€ to 1000€ within a week and the salesperson told me, they adjusted their price to an online shop in France. So while you cut out Diezel from your wishlist, you might as well cut out Gibson.. oh and Mesa Boogie and ENGL... I highly recommend to not ask any salesperson about all the other brands that had amps get cheaper over time, because then you'd have NO more brands on your list...

An amplifier is an instrument and not a share. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Here is the price variation of a dual something amp... Between the highest and the lowest there is "just" a larger than 1000€ difference.
If you are buying gear thinking in terms of assets then you will have a bad time with such price variations independently of the brand you buy.

Attachments

• graph_price.php.png
    graph_price.php.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,640
Now here are my statistics since 1992

Retail Price of a VH4 in 1994 = 4990,00 DEM (Detsche Mark)Converted to € it is 2.550,00€
- including 14% VAT

Map price in Europe in 2014 is at 2.800,00€
- including 19% VAT

The net price increase (excluding increase of VAT) on a VH4 was at roughly 5% within 20Years

Inflation rate in Germany since 1992 was approx 2% per year = 40% total inflation rate.
The inflation rate within 20 years comes down to +1.020,00€ on the value of a VH4 and was not added to the retail price as you can see!
How about the price increase of electronical parts, metal, tubes and labor in Germany since 1992? Through the roof!!!!

Please consider the average increase of income since 1992. Check increase on morgage, fuel,
interest or other daily spendings and you will be nowhere near such a ridiculously small increase!

A total and immediate loss of value seems to be agreed with any purchase order decission for some
type of electronical devices such as an i-phone, computer, TV or home recording equipment.
For other devices that are made to last for 30 years +, the smallest drop or increase of price seems to be a big drama.

Kev":2wol53ds said:
Maybe Thomann lowered the price because it is an older model and not selling so well as the newer amps.
In addition to that thomann also offers discounted used amps which were returned-for-cash under their 30-days-money-back program.

c_planet":2wol53ds said:
When you buy a brand-new car, the most "expensive" period are the first weeks and months... the second you own it and drive it you won't ever get 100% of what you paid. If it is 6 year old and used that will be even further from what you paid and much closer to 50%.

The same is true for every instrument or gear unless it happens to be something rare, sold-out and highly-sought-after item like some vintage 7enders or whatever.
If you are buying your gear as mainly an investment and a tradable good - and that's what it looks like - then you are better off playing the stock market with that money or start buying "vintage" gear.

Well... its seems that the Schmidt is being discontinued as it's available... nowhere in Europe. Discontinued amp, cars or anything always get their prices lowered to get rid of the stocks. If that's the case, it sucks, but it happens.

I'm thinking about buying a few dozens of VH4 and stock them mint, I'm sure they'll sell higher than now if they get discontinued :LOL: :LOL:

Jimmy, don´t take me wrong but we sold 187 Schmidt
during the last 5 years. That don´t means it´s a bad amp
but there is no doubt most people are not interested in.
Of course I have an other "Les Paul" on the workbench
with more features aiming the old AND new Schmidt
customers.

I´m not a master if it comes to low wattage old school amps
but we should have another two new projects this year. I try to give
my best to get a beloved "Schmidt type" amp.

Peter

Did you mean to reply to me Peter? I was responding to the guy above's comment

Reiep":28d4bgdv said:
I'm thinking about buying a few dozens of VH4 and stock them mint, I'm sure they'll sell higher than now if they get discontinued :LOL: :LOL:

ie, I can't see Diezel ever discontinuing the VH4. It's Diezel's flagship amplifier.

I always say that the price of a thing is what the next buyer is ready to pay…

If you like the amp, do not waste your time thinking about its Thomann price, just enjoy playing.

If you want to sell it, you can give it a try…not everybody is checking Thomann prices. Or wait until it was definitely out of stock…not everybody will know about the price drop.

Back