My 2 cents on the Schmidt and a possibly upcoming amp

Class A lunchboxes don't sell? The Tiny Terror had a game changing impact on the amplifier market.

Peter, it might be a good idea to subcategorize your products. Something like 'series'. I know it's hard because your amps are amazing at everything, but it seems to me you are describing a marketing issue...

Diezel 'classic' sounding amps separate from the gain monsters and do everything amps. I like the script logo idea. I think a good approach to design for this is think classic cars. Almost everyone loves them and the cool factor has no age group limitation.

slyvren":2qcgc9oy said:
Class A lunchboxes don't sell? The Tiny Terror had a game changing impact on the amplifier market.
The tiny terror also didn't cost 2400 Euros.

duesentrieb":3rw0h6ct said:
Peter Diezel":3rw0h6ct said:
Big problem is the design and the Diezel logo.
Any suggestions ? How to get the young and
old customers ?
I'd use a sub-trademark, but I told you that already.
Why not use "Stapfer" ?

Of course no metal grille IMO.
IMO Stapfer had the right direction with the very early designs of Schmidt with the mixed tolex IMO.
Different.
Think different.
:confused:
:D

+1 great idea! "Stapfer" sounds dapper!

Peter, please don't put too many knobs on there and keep it in one row! I wouldn't aim for youngsters too much. Either they just wanna rock with a lot of watts (so this amp wouldn't be something for them) or they're into Indi and want something "vintage"-like, which would be the same as what them oldsters would enjoy.

..maybe make a relic amp? That would get some headlines.

kahawe":3t6atm1m said:
slyvren":3t6atm1m said:
The tiny terror also didn't cost 2400 Euros.

First of all I was referring to Rez's comment that you even quoted above.

Rezamatix":3t6atm1m said:
I don't know if Class A low wattage amps have big sales numbers for anyone.

Secondly, what's your point? There are very few amplifiers that sell for the 2400 Euro or higher mark. Even the 2 most recent Diezel amps are below that... a hw AC 30 is around half that... So again what are you getting at? My point was class A amps can actually sell very well.

Price is of course a huge factor and Diezel is doing an amazing job of finding ways to close that gap. I think you are answering your own question about Schmidt's sales numbers.... Lower price with quality will always outsell higher priced premium items. Look at Toyota vs Ferrari.

I'm assuming this new amp will cost less than lil fokker which puts them closer to the ball park of many excellent selling Class A amps. AD30, AC30 etc...

Peter Diezel":9nrclamb said:
Thank you so much for the comments, guys.

I´m playing around with a 22 watt / 2 channel amp.
Digital spring reverb simulation which sounds very
close to a Accutronics reverb can.
No midi but it´s easy to use external switchers or
switching jacks from effect units.
Silent recording and half power switch for the home
and studio users. Recording out with or without IR´s .
Combo version should have no more than 12 kg.

old customers ?

Hi Peter
I think an mix between einstein and schmidt design is good way (for me of course). taking the size of the schmidt and appearence of einstein.
Which kind of sound do you want to put inside??
for me
schmidt clean for channel 1
schmidt crunch for channel 2
and the extra modern sound with volume/gain knobs (like schmidt) kind of channel 3
maybe presence/depth
effect loop.
in fact a vintage/modern low wattage amp. I love the einstein and the schimdt. It will be the typicall Diezel mix sound

best regard

Rezamatix":6zuoc7hp said:
Nah. schmidt is perfect as it was made.
Here is my vid:

Awesome amp, I Love it.

Nice vid Rez. But with all due respect, Herbert infinitely pwns in the (CH1) sparkling clean department, (CH2) Marshall-esque department, and is (CH3) GOD in the over the top blissful high "gaineria" platoon.

If it works don't F.... with it.Just my 2 cents.Love the pure menace of metal.Life is to short for bad tone.You tried cheaper front and peeps wanted the metal grill option.Dare to stick to your guns.Lead ..don't follow. Peace

Long time no see friends. Hi Papa, hope all is well with the wife and the baby.

This thread is of particular interest of mine since I support the Diezel brand and feel close to it while at the same time not feeling represented (at the moment) given my current status as a player. Even though I grew up playing metal and punk I'm no longer there, I occasionally play hard rock by my self, but to me nowadays is mostly clean guitar sound, throw some nice "tube break up" type of OD or a nice fuzz.

I believe Peter has the knowledge and the magical spark to produce a GREAT classic series line of Diezel amps that'll cater to the jazz/blues/classic rock guys.

I like Olaf's idea of creating a sub-line that will no longer cary the DIEZEL name that's associated with heavy metal amps. But I would not use another name altogether, I'd just use the letter "D" with another font something like:

D series - by Peter Diezel Amplification

or

D classic series - by Peter Diezel.

and create TWO amps:

1) two channel amp with a great clean channel that has VIBE, not a PRESTINE CRISTAL CLEAN channel (which we already have in the Herbert for example). Vintage/jazz/blues guys don't really want that anymore, they want something that's clean but has sag, and vibe, maybe a little bit dark. Channel two I'd make it a very saggy almost Fender Bassman breaking up type of drive, NO MORE. If you want a bit more gain from it you NEED an OD pedal. Remember that blues guys have and LOVE pedal boards, they don't want to stop using their favourite pedals for you newly improved awesome gain channel, but they'd LOVE to be able to combine.

2) The other amp imo should be a nice ONE channel amp with TWO inputs, like Fender combos, and make a switch that acts like "jumping" the channels together like it was done with vintage fenders to get fatter grittier tone. Again, great cleans (I cannot stress that enough, the Clean tones of this line of amps should be the END ALL BE ALL, just as the heavy OD tone is the heart of the current Diezel line).

I'd shoot for something other than black or white, maybe two tones like Olaf recommended, a little vintagy but not make it "danelectro vintage cheese" (even though it works awesomely for them) I don't thing well established brands should drift away SO much from original design of the brand, at least at the beginning. If the D series line takes off then by all means you can play more with the amp designs and go crazier. In the mean time I'd jet play with fonts and colors. One line of knobs and SMALL headshell,

just my two cents.

I'd be extremely happy and excited to see a D series line of Diezels, and of course would purchase one no question.

cheers!

Hm... Small Diezel? Maybe name it Alberich?
About the logo: I personally can't see any problems at all, I would love that Diezel-look in a small head! But of course there are some attitudes like: Diezel are only metal, and (that was the most funniest fact I ever heard about Diezel Amps) they "have not that much mids"!
I think Peter is able to create the "Best-of-both-worlds"Sound between Vintage and modern. You can see it with the Schmidt... But this is how it started and know it may be continued? But how to tell all "vintage"-Guys about it?

Peter Diezel":28gfms2d said:
old customers ?
Start a $1 per ticket raffle and offer a give-away . . .

In fact, I don't understand why Peter create the lil'fokker in 100 Watts
Is it possible to make low wattage (20/30 watt) with lil fokker on small head box?

what do you think guys?

atune":3nk1qy92 said:
In fact, I don't understand why Peter create the lil'fokker in 100 Watts
Is it possible to make low wattage (20/30 watt) with lil fokker on small head box?

what do you think guys?

Possible.

But watts are cheap. Quality is expensive.

A 20w head would cost almost as much as a 100watter.
And at the same price, many more people will buy the 100.

Peter Diezel":1j6vu7t8 said:
Thank you so much for the comments, guys.

I´m playing around with a 22 watt / 2 channel amp.
Digital spring reverb simulation which sounds very
close to a Accutronics reverb can.
No midi but it´s easy to use external switchers or
switching jacks from effect units.
Silent recording and half power switch for the home
and studio users. Recording out with or without IR´s .
Combo version should have no more than 12 kg.

old customers ?

Peter, I think the Schmidt is a fantastic amp. I think the logo is great just like it is. The Fokker is a great looking amp too. I'd hate to see the Schmidt go away. I think a couple of improvements could bring it up in a big way. Three things I hear people say about the Schmidt is that it needs a presence, depth, and 1/2 power switch. I know your products are worth the price, and so do most of the people on this forum, but I think the Schmidt is a hard sale at $3500 to everyone else in the world. Take off the 3rd channel and put a simple gain boost and mark the Schmidt at $2500. Somehow you have to have the features and bring the price down without sacrificing quality.

A 22w amp sound OK, but I'm done with small tubes. There have been some low power amps with bigger bottle tubes that have come out which are great. Soldano made the Hot Rod 25 with 5881's, Marshall made the 5w Slash combo with a single EL34, Blackstar makes a 20w head with a pair of EL34's which sounds great. Man a loud-enough 20w amp with KT77's or 6550's would be cool. What I don't want is a low power head that's only good for home and barely cuts it for band practice. The Friedman Pink Taco is a 20w amp that can get freaking loud. You can actually gig with that thing. That's the kind of low power amp I like where you can go from home playing to bar gigs.

Man if you think about it, you have monster 100 watt and 100+ watt heads and no 50w. The Einstein used to come in 50w and it was really great. It would be cool if there was a 50w Lil Fokker for $1999.

From my observation and experience, good quality audio and video are the biggest things people want. They want to know what an amp sounds like dry with no effects, with a strat and a les pau, how much clean headroom, how much gain. People want to hear what they sound like playing classical, blues, jazz, rock, metal, and lead tones. Also, if the player is too good, people won't buy into it as much because great players sound good on any amp. If the player is not good enough, he won't do the amp justice.

A lot of it really does come down to price too. People don't want to buy Chinese stuff, but we can't necessarily afford $4000 amps. MIDI and all those channel features are great for flagship amps like the Herbert, VH4, Hagen, etc..., but most people don't need 180 watt heads with 4 channels and a $900 midi foot switch. The D-Moll was a good step, but still a bit out-of-league for the average dude. The Lil Fokker is a great amp and much more agreeable price point, but no 50w version. Plus, I think the Fokker makes some people feel like they're settling for less in order to afford a Diezel. That's why I think it's best to avoid describing it as "stripped down." It is what it is and it offers more than many expensive boutique amps, so leave it at that when you market it.

Well that's my 2 cents.

webrthomson":1lqzqou7 said:
Peter Diezel":1lqzqou7 said:
old customers ?

I always planned to get a Schmitt and I love the blackface ones like this:

255980.jpg

If folks are scared by the big Diezel logo on front perhaps do Schmidt on the front more old school - like the beer for rednecks that don't know anything but Fender amps :LOL: :LOL:

then put smaller Diezel on the control panel

Attachments

• Schlitz-Schlitz-2.jpg
    Schlitz-Schlitz-2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,577
LoL this is getting intense.1st I bought a Root tiny terror ,sounds great for the price.2nd I don't agree with glass comment,I put Vintage Mullard El-84's and new Tung sol.My humble opion..peeps overlook the importance of quality glass.The change in glass made an ok amp sound badd ass.Peeps spend a fortune on a great amp and go cheap on tubes.I was under the miss impression I would never like the sound of any thing but El-34's.But heck I'm old and that's my preferance.We all know that a Diezel is as versatile as the player.I'm not much of a gizmo guy..LoL old with a Spinal tap mentality.I want a quality build,killer natural drive and overtones.Just my 2 cents.Keep up the awesome work Pappa !!!! :rock:

Back