Fokker vs. D-Moll range of tones

djpatb

How will the range of tones available in the Lil Fokker compare to the D-Moll?
Not considering features, just actual variety of tones.
Also, will the Fokker have a stiff feel, some sag, or somewhere in between?

From what I've read, the Fokker is supposed to be channel 3 of the vh4, which means it should have a ton of mid range and a usable gain knob. The dmoll, in my opinion, is very scooped and it's options for gain control are off, on and compressed. I will be very interested to hear the new amp and pedal coming out.

^ Disagree almost entirely with that. The D-Moll is exceptionally dynamic, and has oodles of mid-range if you want it. The mid-cut is also focused around 400hz, so even when you use it, you still have plenty of mids in the 500-800hz region.

I don't know how the Little Fokker will measure up. None of us do really. It's not out yet, and there is scant information. None of the audio clips out there are any good, and even Peter himself has criticized the recordings he has heard.

But it's a Diezel. It'll sound like a Diezel. It has less features than the other amps in the line up. I expect it will sound very close to the D-Moll, which I am also led to believe sounds similar to the VH4 too!

I was hoping that more Fokker info would be available by now.
I'm trying to decide which of these 2 amps would be better for me.
Tone is more important than features, so I'm dying to learn more about the Fokker.

Just wait after Frankfurt Musik Messe (starts tomorrow until saturday) and the first users getting their Fokkers (pretty soon AFAIK).

The D-moll CAN be scooped, but it get "normal" tones with the intensity and level @ 12 o clock, and the mids @ 12 o clock.
Turn off the mid cut, and boost the mids on the channels, and you'll have NO trouble getting enough mids from it.

recently a friend of mine did a comparison of his dmoll and his other band mate's 6505+.. combining with a diezel 4X12, mesa oversized and david laboga cab..

I've heard the dmoll in person and from some reason however we set it up in the room, I just could not get over the compression that occurs on the gain channels.. it sounds very spongy, almost solid state like and pushes a hell lot of bottom end (maybe too much) even with lower/moderate bass settings..

you be the judge, but I just prefered the sound of the 6505+ with any cab rather than the dmoll..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prEmDUWVu_c

K-mark5":3qgfo0jn said:
recently a friend of mine did a comparison of his dmoll and his other band mate's 6505+.. combining with a diezel 4X12, mesa oversized and david laboga cab..

I've heard the dmoll in person and from some reason however we set it up in the room, I just could not get over the compression that occurs on the gain channels.. it sounds very spongy, almost solid state like and pushes a hell lot of bottom end (maybe too much) even with lower/moderate bass settings..

you be the judge, but I just prefered the sound of the 6505+ with any cab rather than the dmoll..

Nice comparison! But I do see a mid cut engaged on the D Moll, thing that the modded Peavey doesn't have. So are these tones directly comparable? :confused:

Not really :)
And a 7-string tuned to Z with the gain set very high isn't showing everything the amp can do :)

To each his own. I use the D-moll with, amongst others, a Strat with an EMG 81 tuned to standard, the gain set fairy low and a tube screamer. (Because I can't turn it up to stun at home). No problem getting a big, fat, wet, cutting sound.

Yes, it will compress when you turn the gain upwards to 7-8-9, it's just the nature of the beast.
It has a lot more sounds than that, though. And I like the compression.

K-mark5":1tm62epb said:

Interesting. In this video I liked the Dmoll a bit more, but not by a lot & really didn't love any of the tones. I think a clean boost with a TS type O/D would help things, perhaps tweaking the setting differently....or maybe it's fine once placed into a mix.

That 6505 had a much better sound in that video honestly. I can definitely say that's attributed to somebody setting that d-moll up with what I can only think is their penis and just kinda slapping it against the faceplate. Peavey are an undeniably good metal amp but it shouldn't have been that night and day. Dmoll just isn't that fuzzy when set up right. (Finally got to play one, very nice!)

Man, that video is kind of disappointing. The dmoll did not sound very good there IMO. What channel was that on the dmoll?

I have a dmoll and even through more "traditional" RL v30 cabs it doesn't sound like this, not even in standard tuning.

Did you set mic position for the peavey and then kept it the same for dmoll in each comparison, right? Then probably there's your problem!
Also you had the midcut on.

andiggity":209709yw said:
From what I've read, the Fokker is supposed to be channel 3 of the vh4, which means it should have a ton of mid range and a usable gain knob. The dmoll, in my opinion, is very scooped and it's options for gain control are off, on and compressed. I will be very interested to hear the new amp and pedal coming out.

Tottally disagree with everything you said. Gain range is super versatile, and the cleans are easily some of the best from any Diezel.

Maybe the D-Moll was scooped for you because the Mid-Cut function was on.... :confused:

This is obviously with an iPhone, so don't expect it to sound like a studio recording.

It has a depth and punch I've never experienced from an amp before.
But scooped and only scooped..? Nope! :)

Back