Popping noise when switching channel, help!

tupesaku

Hey and sorry for invading the forum with Einstein related stuff within the last couple days :D

Anyways would appreciate some help from you wise people...

I've connected my new Einstein 50w head with a Boss GT-100 through 4cm and I'm using the Gt's amp control feature for changing the channel simultaneously with the patch change. This seems to work ok otherwise but when changing from the lead channel to the clean channel I'm getting this popping noise that's really disturbing. This does not happen with Diezels own footswitch.

Any idea what could cause this, and especially how to get rid of this popping noise?

Some help, please!

I'll answer this myself, again...

Guess the problem was/is about the send and output levels...altough thought they were ok already...got the noise a bit lower by changing the amp channel levels a bit closer to eachother...guess I'll just got to tweak some more!

Hi!

I have the fx pedal connected via 4 cable method, so there are connections to the loop. I tried getting the levels ok, but the problem might be that to minimize the volume difference between the clean and lead channel, the channel volume on the lead channel must be quite much lower than for the clean channel, thus making the send levels different as well :confused:

Does that make any sense? Also I have the output level of the pedal at -10dB, is that ok or should it be at +4dB?

But I guess if I increase the gain level on the clean channel more, then I can lower the volume...then the channel levels would probably be closer to eachother...and hopefully then the noise from channel switching would get lower?

Otherwise the amp and GT-100's effects are now sounding very nice...so over all I'm very happy of the new amp! Might create some GAS for the bigger Diezels as well :)

Thanks for the help!

I'd run the GT100 purely as an FX module in the amp's FX loop. The send level is then equal, regardless of what channel/mode you switch to.

Presumably there's an independent relay out on the GT100 (amp CTL?), allowing you to still change channels on the amp & bring the loop in or out?

Forgive me if I don't fully understand the problem. I wouldn't personally run the processed signal of a multifx unit into the front end of a boutique amp, if theta's what you're doing.

I might actually try that...but the point of using 4cm is to be able to put some effects (wah, phaser etc) in front of the amp and then the rest in the loop. But I could try just loop and see is there a big difference...4cm is just what the big guys are always talking about :D

Oh and by the way, just to make it clear I'm definately not using any amp simulations to ruin Eini...just some effects and not too much of them either :D

And yeap, the amp ctrl would be useable anyways so that would not be a problem.

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how things are using just the loop...

tupesaku":sixcik2i said:
I might actually try that...but the point of using 4cm is to be able to put some effects (wah, phaser etc) in front of the amp and then the rest in the loop. But I could try just loop and see is there a big difference...4cm is just what the big guys are always talking about :D

Oh and by the way, just to make it clear I'm definately not using any amp simulations to ruin Eini...just some effects and not too much of them either :D

And yeap, the amp ctrl would be useable anyways so that would not be a problem.

Thanks for the input, I'll let you know how things are using just the loop...

No probs

As a rule, although I do actually quite like delays & reverbs out front sometimes, FX should really go in the loop of your amp. I do think they sound better, though that's subjective.
Boost/overdrive/wah & compression commonly go out front, but they're probably not functions of the GT100 you're using (except wah).

However, if you're using pan & tremolo FX on the GT100, these prefer to be run through the serial loop of the Einstein as they require the entire signal to be processed & not just one side of it as you get with a parallel loop. That's not to say they sound shit through the parallel loop, they're just not the optimum circuit for those particular FX.
Delays & reverbs, imo, sound better in a parallel loop, especially in an amp as great as the Einstein. I like to retain as much of the direct preamp to poweramp signal as possible and not completely interrupt the signal with a pedal or FX module. I run all of my pedal FX in parallel with my VH4.

I 'think' the serial loop & the parallel loop (whichever you decide to use) are both footswitchable on the einstein. I could be talking out of my arse there though. You want to experiment and see which gives you the best performance for the FX banks you're using on the GT100.

Have fun buddy!

Back