Tony McKenzie Diezel Hagen Review (VIDEO)

psbhachu

Ok, so I sold my Diezel Hagen (Backup Head) a few weeks ago to YouTube's Tony McKenzie. He's done an inside out review of this amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7zEf5 ... e=youtu.be

However, I am a little surprised at what he found with the preamp tubes. Now remember this was a backup amp for my main Hagen (which I still own) and it had never been retubed or even cranked for that matter. It was a NEW amp in a sealed box direct from Diezel.

In this review, Tony pulled apart the amp to show the insides. When pulling the preamp tubes, he discovered that the amp had 3 different preamp tubes.

Tube Amp Doctor
Ruby Tube
Unbranded Chinese Tube

Now, I don't know how this all works. I got a text from McKenzie asking if I was sure if the amp had not been retubed. Anyone else had the same thing with their amp?

Thats normal. To get sufficient supplies of non microphonic and "good" tubes, Peter has to buy from several sources to get esp. for the first two sockets the best quality to avoid hum, noise, hiss . . . the other sockets/positions are not as sensitive to hq tubes so he uses standard quality ECC83s. This way an amp can be equipped with tubes from various sources/brands.

I´m tired to explain that I select the unselected tubes by myself.
Thinking about to leave the media and spend more time for my
2 years old son.

Peter Diezel":cwhttclb said:
2 years old son.

Definitely spend more time with your son! We love having you around Papa! I wish there was someone else that could answer all these questions that you grow tired of. Maybe Diezel should put a F.A.Q. section on the website and also the forums and sticky it as the first post? Then whenever people ask everyone can just refer them there? Just a thought. Seems a waste of your time to answer the same questions over and over. I want to thank you personally for all you do for your customers. You handle things the way most people wish they did. Much respect!

Peter Diezel":10vxvua2 said:
2 years old son.

+1

Peter,

Making carreer is one thing, running a bussines is another thing, but family is family. I have had the lessen at quite a young age.

Enjoy your weekend.

Robert

*sigh*

Yes, it's very normal and very common. Typically companies will either buy in bulk from one distributor, hence they get the same brand, or they buy for quality like Peter does, and thus could end up with different brands.

As for Mr. McKenzie... I do not rate his reviews at all. They tend to be far too cursory, and too full with subjective opinion.

Peter Diezel":1xcrpqho said:
2 years old son.

:thumbsup:

Peter, it is a lost battle. There will always be reviews which give wrong information. People that misunderstand concepts and transmit their misunderstandings to the masses etc etc. And you can spent all of your time answering the same question and still, someone will ask it again. Like it was mentioned above, a F.A.Q. section in the site/facebook/forum etc would be a nice way to clear such things up and not take more of your time. Your time with your son is sacred time! :yes:

Thank you so much my friends. I was I a bad mood yesterday.
But now you made my day. Breaking the booth tomorrow morning.
I´m back here on Monday.
Tony, please don´t touch my amps with your penis solder pen :LOL: :LOL:
Thank you for the positive review :thumbsup:

Peter Diezel said:
I´m back here on Monday.

Hahaha! Nice

Peter Diezel":tjk611qa said:
2 years old son.

Sorry if its offended you in anyway. I just play my amps and have them retubed if necessary. Not too technical! lol. I felt like I was accused of selling him an amp that I said was unplayed and NEW but had different tubes etc etc

I am happy with my Diezel stuff. Couldn't care less about where the tubes come from as long as the tones are kicking me in the back of the head.

So please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding :)

Peter Diezel":10h9qnf0 said:
I´m back here on Monday.
Yah Pops...when I get a new toaster.....and it makes my toast PERFECT....
I RIP IT OPEN to see what heaters were used.....to make it perfect? ;)
Seems silly...but isnt this what the guy was doing? Diezels sound PERFECT out the box. :rock:
No need to rip them apart. :no:
If its not broken.....dont FIX IT! :D

psbhachu":2shfm5fn said:
Peter Diezel":2shfm5fn said:
2 years old son.

Sorry if its offended you in anyway. I just play my amps and have them retubed if necessary. Not too technical! lol. I felt like I was accused of selling him an amp that I said was unplayed and NEW but had different tubes etc etc

I am happy with my Diezel stuff. Couldn't care less about where the tubes come from as long as the tones are kicking me in the back of the head.

So please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding :)

No excuse please. I´m at home and happy.
Just replaced the nappies ..... Jesus :LOL: :LOL:

We will get the V1 tube with a print next time.
V2 will be always selected by myself if somebody buys a tube set.

Cheers,
Peter

Papa, this is your honor. Please don't feel like you have to apologize for defending it ;) I would have been upset too!

I hope the family is well and I hope you get some more time with them soon :)

Amberience":2bmqcx4s said:
*sigh*

Yes, it's very normal and very common. Typically companies will either buy in bulk from one distributor, hence they get the same brand, or they buy for quality like Peter does, and thus could end up with different brands.

As for Mr. McKenzie... I do not rate his reviews at all. They tend to be far too cursory, and too full with subjective opinion.

+1 drew!

Mr. McKenzie needs to use his pencil to write letters to someone who cares and not beat all over a unsuspecting amp.

Hope Mr. Diezel has some fun quality time with his 2 year old. He will never be this fun age again.

Poppa or the son. :thumbsup:

psbhachu":70xy0zzj said:
Ok, so I sold my Diezel Hagen (Backup Head) a few weeks ago to YouTube's Tony McKenzie. He's done an inside out review of this amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7zEf5 ... e=youtu.be

However, I am a little surprised at what he found with the preamp tubes. Now remember this was a backup amp for my main Hagen (which I still own) and it had never been retubed or even cranked for that matter. It was a NEW amp in a sealed box direct from Diezel.

In this review, Tony pulled apart the amp to show the insides. When pulling the preamp tubes, he discovered that the amp had 3 different preamp tubes.

Tube Amp Doctor
Ruby Tube
Unbranded Chinese Tube

Now, I don't know how this all works. I got a text from McKenzie asking if I was sure if the amp had not been retubed. Anyone else had the same thing with their amp?

Just got the comment about the "no name" transformers.

I had a winding machine in 1994 and 20 years of experience with
building transformers.

Our transformers are now made either in Germany or in France
with our specs and hard QC. These transformer are not available
around the corner and are high standard. I don´t buy transformers
from the known manufactures because they don´t fit my needs.

Dear Tony, please just enjoy the amp and have a great day.
If you want to call me just send me an email and I will give
you my phone number.

Back