VH4 and Axe Fx 2 4 cable method

taliababa

Is anyone using their VH4 and the Axe 2 using the 4 cm? I'm considering trading for an Axe 2 ($1600 + some tubes), but the hiss created while using it in the 4 cm with high gain amps has me concerned. Reading through the Fractal Forums, apparently FAS has a fix for it. Has anyone done this? If so, is the hiss completely (or mostly) gone after the mod?

I've used my VH4 like this, and didn't really experience any big hiss issues. Always some noise in the high-gain areas, but part of the territory. There is a fix that they do, and included it in some later models manufactured, and not sure if mine has this mod. While I didn't have that problem, I now use my Axe only in the VH4 fx loop for effects only. I don't use the amps/wah or anything else in front of the VH4 from the Axe. I had good results both ways, but have chosen the one I like best. Sounds like you're getting a good deal - go for it, and try it out!

I have this going right now. If you use the noise buster cables (about $80 when you get it all set up) as indicated in the Axe Fx II manual it totally removes the hiss. Otherwise there is a tolerable amount of noise in the loop. This combination makes for the ultimate routing and effects setup IMHO, between modeling, the VH4's preamp and taught power amp, time based effects and the drives available you can really get to any tone that you may ever want.

Back