Herbert cab question

Metal6string

If I have a 4x12 cab that is split so it's like having 2 - 2x12. Do I use the 2 - 8ohm outputs or the 2 - 4ohm outputs. My ohm reading of 1 set of speakers reads inbetween 6-7ohms.

Metal6string":1kr8j2ku said:
My ohm reading of 1 set of speakers reads inbetween 6-7ohms.
6-7 Ohms. What planet?

I'd kindly suggest simply getting yourself this:

082bb994d3.jpg

When I connect a speaker cable to the input of one side of the split cab and use my ohm meter or read across the positive and negative of the 1/4" jack I get 6.4 ohms, here on planet earth. Lol

OK, so you need to look at the speakers and see what each is rated at. Then, you need to see how they are wired. The jacks you will use on Herbert depend on the rating of the speakers and how they are wired.
Rule of thumb, always use higher ohm ratings.

GtarLover":fjdo9gkq said:
OK, so you need to look at the speakers and see what each is rated at. Then, you need to see how they are wired. The jacks you will use on Herbert depend on the rating of the speakers and how they are wired.
Rule of thumb, always use higher ohm ratings.

Ok well the speakers are 16ohms each wired in parallel which combined makes them 8ohm with Ohms Law. And I'm only referencing 2 speakers out of the 4 in the cab, obviously the other set will be the same.

From James Peters:
I asked somewhat the same question.

When reading with a meter:

16 ohms impedance reads about 12.3 ohms
8 ohms impedance reads about 6 ohms
4 ohms impedance reads about 2.6 ohms

Something to do with that you're reading the resistance, not the impedance.
Seems like your cab is 8 ohms per "side"

Yeah, I got my question answered in a round about way. The answer is if I use the cab as currently wired, I need to use the 2-4ohm connections on the Herbert, because of the 2-8ohm loads. :thumbsup:

Back