EQ Serial vs Parallel

garnel81

Hello guys. I just start to do some experiences with the loops of the Einstein. Before i ran every pedal in front of the amp, now i tried the Boss EQ7 in the Parallel loop. It sound huge. But i was houndering if the parallel is the way to go, especially because you have to mix the level in the back.
What do you think? Serial vs Parallel? whats the diference?
In the front i have wah, delay, flange and volume.
Tks

Parallel will mix in the non-loop signal with the loop
Series takes over the whole signal path
This may be good for things like delay & reverb, but typically eq would go in the series
Nothing wrong with eq in parallel though, I'll give that a try myself...

I ran delay and flange in front of the amp. I not yet tried the eq in the serial but i will, to see the diference. By the way with the mix in max on the parallel the eq it's more agressive and you can notice every single change made in the frequencies. If you boost some of those frequencies like bass it will sound like a monster.

Series for eq. If your fx pedlas allow true 100% wet mix then they will sound better in the paralell, if they dont go 100 wet there will be nasty phasing, in that case stick with series.

How do i know if the pedals allows that? I kinda like the sound 100%. Sure it's a bit diferent but i can't say it's weird phasing. I think.... :confused:

garnel81":3rxwqxxf said:
How do i know if the pedals allows that? I kinda like the sound 100%. Sure it's a bit diferent but i can't say it's weird phasing. I think.... :confused:

Test the pedals or check the manual, it's pretty easy to hear when a/b testing. The phased sound loses bass and seems nasally hollow.

Also check the manuals.

Move the EQ and delay to the loops . Leave the others upfront.

The EQ goes in the series loop.

What type delay pedal do you have? Does it have a kill dry?

Boss DD-3, Boss eq-7. Why serial on the delay? doesn't it sound diferent? i love the sound of the delay on front.
Another question.
How does it sound a Eq on serial + a Eq on front. Running both at the same time?
The reason why i move the eq to parallel is that boss eq on front makes a lot of noise.

You're only going to get phase issues if you're using a digital effect - typically because of the AD/DA stages adding latency to the signal. An analog EQ should be fine, but then you're doubling up on your signal and it will probably end up being twice as loud when the FX loop is enabled.

Amberience":olqfgz26 said:
You're only going to get phase issues if you're using a digital effect - typically because of the AD/DA stages adding latency to the signal. An analog EQ should be fine, but then you're doubling up on your signal and it will probably end up being twice as loud when the FX loop is enabled.

You will get phasing from adding dry signal to dry signal if the fx unit does not have a kill dry or 100% wet function regardless of whether it is analog or digital.

moltenmetalburn":2adm3yge said:
Amberience":2adm3yge said:

You will get phasing from adding dry signal to dry signal if the fx unit does not have a kill dry or 100% wet function regardless of whether it is analog or digital.

No. You wont. You'll just get a louder signal, and actually if you phase invert them, you'd then get silence - if the levels were exactly the same that is.

If there is *any* amount of latency in the chain though, then you will get phase issues.

Amberience":3cdj653a said:
moltenmetalburn":3cdj653a said:
Amberience":3cdj653a said:

No. You wont. You'll just get a louder signal, and actually if you phase invert them, you'd then get silence - if the levels were exactly the same that is.

If there is *any* amount of latency in the chain though, then you will get phase issues.

Duh, yeah I don't know what the hell I was thinking... :doh: analog has no latency...

moltenmetalburn":2xzu2jb3 said:
Amberience":2xzu2jb3 said:
moltenmetalburn":2xzu2jb3 said:
Amberience":2xzu2jb3 said:

Duh, yeah I don't know what the hell I was thinking... :doh: analog has no latency...

I made no suggestion that analog has no latency. You were inaccurate in your statement that adding a dry signal to a dry signal without a kill dry or 100% wet function is going to cause phasing. It's entirely dependent on latency. It depends entirely on the circuit design. :yes:

garnel81":33q5l26l said:
How does it sound a Eq on serial + a Eq on front. Running both at the same time?
Why not go the whole 9 yards. Get yourself another Boss EQ-7. Take one and hook it up to the serial loop, take the other one and put it your guitar chain and get yourself a 70 band graphic EQ and hook it up in your parallel loop. You'll everything covered.

url

Black Sabbath":dj27yfih said:
garnel81":dj27yfih said:
Why not go the whole 9 yards. Get yourself another Boss EQ-7. Take one and hook it up to the serial loop, take the other one and put it your guitar chain and get yourself a 70 band graphic EQ and hook it up in your parallel loop. You'll everything covered.

url

I little of sarcasm in the mix and i'm set. tks

I would suggest to use the eq in the serial loop
to modify some frequencies if needed.
In front of the input I would only boost some
mid frequency on the gain section if necessary.

Cheers,
Peter

garnel81":dkkcyz14 said:
Boss DD-3, Boss eq-7. Why serial on the delay? doesn't it sound diferent? i love the sound of the delay on front.
Another question.
The reason why i move the eq to parallel is that boss eq on front makes a lot of noise.

I love my Einstein, but to be honest if I felt I needed an eq in the front and also in the loop I think I would probably sell the amp and get something else.... :yes:

jumping in... I think the closest thing I've found to a 'secret weapon' is an old 3 knob Barb EQ pedal. It seems to work with all of my guitars, all of my amps,... always nicely predictable. So far I have used it in the parallel loop(s) of any my amps (Herbert, Gryphon, Marshall, Rivera,...) and can also use it in front of the same with virtually identical results: it gets close to acting as a boost, and it definitely shapes as it advertises, with a curve like a Bassman or Super Reverb. Nice when you want to 'Fenderize' a distinctly different amp.
I'm interested in the phasing comments that have been made. I have some phasing issues with the Herbert with a few specific pedals, oddly enough from a specific builder (no disrespect:) Mr. Black('s) Eterna and Downward Spiral. Both of these seem to be out of phase in the Herbert's loop, but not at all with any of my others amps... I was wondering if anyone can weigh in on whether or not this might have anything to do with the amp being a 3-channel head, or...

Back