Uberschall TJ vs Herbert Comparison Clips

Trippled

So I've had both amps for quiet a while and thought it would be interesting
to experiment with both and see the differences and how well they mix together.

I double tracked tracked each amp at my bedroom with the following signal chain:

Vigier Excalibur Special 7 (Middle pickup) - Maxon OD808 - AMP - Strymon Timeline in the loop - Rivera 4X12 with V30's - AKG C214 - Apogee Duet 2.

I'm working with Pro Tools and did some subtle EQ'ing for both amps,
sort of enhancing their voicing and fitting them more nicely to the drums.

For the Diezel I used the API waves EQ but I found the Pultec one to fit better with the bogner.

Bogner (2nd Channel:)

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-6-1/herbe ... gner-alone

Diezel (3rd Channel, no mid cut:)

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-6-1/herbe ... ezel-alone

Both:

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-6-1/herbert-schall

My Impressions:

Honestly I've seen many people tend to like one over another, especially the Herbert, though I don't see it that way at all.

I think the Bogner while being allot more simplified in design and having a loop that is half way decent, still has a very unique voicing to my ears, would have probably been allot more apparent if I played chords and not single notes.

The Bogner to me has a really nice midrange that te diezel doesn't have,
though the diezel has allot more low end and kinda feels bigger in the mix to me.

The Diezel is really cool and I currently gig solely with him, I do think that feature wise it's allot more loaded and that comes handy while playing live or rehearsing.

Tone wise though I'n not really liking one over another, I do admit that the diezel sounds better in that mix and when balancing both amps together the Diezel tracks are 4DB higher then the bogner.

Hopefully that was an interesting experience, share your thoughts!

first two links are dead....they don't work for me.
The last one sounded great from what I could hear in 30 seconds.

i own both amps, overall i like the herbert better because its 3 ch and has a great clean and cant cover alot of ground for me.
but when i used them live i found the uber to sound better in the mix and easier to dial in, uber had more mids.

I've been running a TJ and Herbert together for years now. Very good combo. The Herbert is so clean sounding that it mixes well with a gritty amp like a rectifier type sound. I used to run a rev F recto with my Herbert, but found the similar tone of the TJ to be just a bit better than a recto mixed with the Herbert. I run mine in a dual head road case and through two new German FL 412 Diezels with 6 V30's and 2 K100's.

I'd love to hear a Herbert and Uberschall together in a room it must sound so massive. :thumbsup: :LOL: :LOL:

I really wish I still had my Twin Jet so I could hear how they sound together.

I do have a Triple Rectifier though I might combine that with the Herbert and see how they mix. :)

Shiny_Surface":1gw5a6g8 said:
I'd love to hear a Herbert and Uberschall together in a room it must sound so massive. :thumbsup: :LOL: :LOL:

I really wish I still had my Twin Jet so I could hear how they sound together.

I do have a Triple Rectifier though I might combine that with the Herbert and see how they mix. :)
I had an old 2ch trec and Herbert, and didn't think the mix would work that great. I figured they would step on each other and not add much. It ended up being one of my favorite mixes of amps. If I had it to do over, I would have kept that pair together.

Back