Please tell me I didn't kill my Herbert!

narada65

I just purchased another Engl Z-12 midi controller. I was told that it could be used with any midi compatible device. So I plugged it into the midi in on my Diezel Herbert and turned the Herbert on. It lit up and then immediately all the lights on the front panel went out and there is no sound. I quickly turned the amp off, unplugged the midi cable and turned the amp back on. Now when the amp comes on none of the lights come on and none of the switches do anything. The amp is powering up and the tubes are warming up, but no sound and no other signs of life. Please tell me I didn't just kill my Herbert! Any help, advice, whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

narada65":2lintw9l said:
Peter Diezel":2lintw9l said:
You got an email

Thanks you sir! You are the best!

images

It's one thing to build some of the best sounding and playing amplifiers on the planet, but when you couple that with the best and most personable custom service you have a recipe for creating life long customers. Call me a Diezel lifer!

John4021":19lqbox2 said:
Whats Papa's thoughts to what happened?

He said; not to worry, I had only blown a couple fuses on the main board. I pulled the chassis and sure enough there the two blown fuses were. $4.80 at Ace Hardware for two new 1.6 amp SLO blow mini buss fuses and she's back to life and ripping heads off again! LOL He even went another step above and beyond and sent me diagrams of the pin scheme for both the Diezel and the Engl to illustrate why they are not compatible. And he explained that if I simply swap the wires between pin 2 and 3 in the Z-12 (basically making it conform to industry standard), that it would be perfectly suitable for use with the Diezel. Which is what I intend to do. I have another Z-12 that I've used with my Engl Steve Morse Sig for some time and love it. It's rugged, the perfect form factor, very reliable and requires no power adapter (uses the phantom power provided by the amp). Once the pins are swapped on the new Z-12 the new one will work the same with my Herbert. So I'm happy as can be.

Back