Diezel VH4S & Diezel Herbert Recording Test

shadowdevourer

Hello guys,

I just made a recording to test my VH4S and Herbert. I would appreciate your feedback. If anyone is interested I can also provide the details of how I recorded.

Here is the link to the Diezel VH4S recording:

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/131397417858-Damage.mp3

This was done through my reamp box so in the next couple of days I will also do the same recording with my Herbert and post it here to have a comparison of the two amps.

Thanks a lot bro :) Glad you liked it. I think I'll re-record the VH4 as well though. I am still experimenting to get a better sound.

Sounds really fat and heavy, but also a little muddy. Could use less honkey mids and more highs or replace one of the tracks with a more scooped one to even out the sound. It seems you could also gain some more tightness/dynamics/clarity by using less saturation/distortion or maybe by picking harder and more precise. What kind of setup did you use?

Kev":23l5nfga said:
Sounds really fat and heavy, but also a little muddy. Could use less honkey mids and more highs or replace one of the tracks with a more scooped one to even out the sound. It seems you could also gain some more tightness/dynamics/clarity by using less saturation/distortion or maybe by picking harder and more precise. What kind of setup did you use?

Wow man thanks a lot. That's the type of feedback I was looking for. I'll definitely try out your tips. I recorded directly throuh my Focusrite 2i4, two tracks. I think playing is a bit sloppy because I really can't hear what I'm playing without distortion. I just hear the clean track as I record. If I turn on something like Amplitube to get the vibe while recording, I get a bit of input delay. So I just recorded direct and clean. Then I reamped each track, and recorded them with 2 microphones (Shure sm57 and sm7b) just a bit off the center of the cone. One mic was on K100 and the other was on V30. Then I panned each track %70 left and right. Used an EQ for high pass.

I once did re-amping as well and I just split my signal into a Pod so I could hear what I was playing. Playing tight, accurate and confident is the foundation of a good sound, so rather go through the hassle of having a similar sound to what it should be in the end in your headphones.
About miking I can only give the advice of starting small and slowly add in more variables. First just use one mic on one speaker and explore all tonal possibilities. Then try it with a different mic, then try the different speaker, then try two mikes on one speaker and so on. Make sure to get a feeling of how each piece of gear works with each other before you try more complex arrangements.

Rock on :rock:

Back