Andy Wood sessions

Caseyloud

I know this is a little obscure to most of the questions directed at you but I read in a forum you did session work for a long time. I was wondering how you went about getting into that and what it took to get at the level of being efficient at it? Ex: Site reading, improv, playing with other musicians, etc. etc.

Thanks

Caseyloud":3haa7mh0 said:
I know this is a little obscure to most of the questions directed at you but I read in a forum you did session work for a long time. I was wondering how you went about getting into that and what it took to get at the level of being efficient at it? Ex: Site reading, improv, playing with other musicians, etc. etc.

Thanks
Step one: Don't be an asshole
Step two: Acquire talent (practice practice practice)
Step three: Don't let you talent turn you into an asshole.

This has been asked a BILLION times on here and every other guitar forum. It pretty common sense. They don't care how good you are if you have a bad attitude you may never be asked to do a "session" again. As for the talent part. Most of the time you need to be able to either site read OR follow charts and improve accordingly.

Thank you for your somewhat helpful advice. I just was curious as to what a well versed guitarist who has been successful in that field would say. Many of my teachers have done it and I'm above average at site reading charts and pretty above average at improving over chord changed but I guess my Main question was how do you go about getting into that field? I've done some commercials but I'd like to have a more constant flow of work. Where should I go to get connections/contacts, etc. I'm 22 I'm still learning.

Thanks.

Location is a huge part too. I wasn't trying to be a dick but it is pretty obvious.

Talent
Good attitude
If you can fit those pieces together you shouldn't have a problem.

Also, I don't see Andy on here very much anymore. His handle is van hellion.

Thanks for the help! I'm a musicians institute graduate and live in CA I would hope location isn't a problem. I try not to be a dick... Too much. I'm always working on my chops so... Hopefully I can make my way into this. I just gotta talk to the right people now.

Thanks.

Back