Which 2x12 Cab for D-Moll: FL, RL, V30's, K100's, other???

Stoopid417

Greetings. I'm considering getting a Diezel 2x12 Cab for my D-Moll, but not sure which cab to get. I currently run my D-Moll through a HESU 2x12 RL Cab w/ K100's running in 16 Ohms, running a few effects up front, and EQ, Delay and Reverb in Series FX Loop, and a MIDI Switcher. In IMO, with my setup, this combo rips and sounds fantastic, love the sound, no complaints. I also have an Orange 4x12 Cab w/ V30's (which I don't use with the D-Moll) running in 16 Ohms. With the D-Moll, it sounds pretty good. It has a looser feel, not as tight, but overall a good sounding combo, I just prefer the sound of the 2x12. Now question is, which Diezel 2x12 Cab to get??? I was able to test out a D-Moll with a Diezel 4x12 RL Cab with V30's running in 8 Ohms at one of my local music stores (no 2x12's in stock). IMO and to my ears, it wasn't the sound for me. Maybe because the amp was propped up about 2ft from the ground on a box stand, which might have contributed a lot to how it sounded and also the guitar I was using. I also tested out a VH4 with a Diezel 2x12 FL OS Cab w/ K100's running in 8 Ohms at another local music store (No D-Moll's in stock). This setup sounded ridiculous. Huge sound, cab handled low end very nicely, tight and defined. Obviously these are two totally different amp/cab setups that I tested out and it's unfortunate that I wasn't able to test out the D-Moll with the 2x12, but as of right now, I'm leaning towards the FL 2x12 w/ K100's. Good choice??? Anyone have any experience with this combo??? Any thoughts or opinions??? Thanks for the help...

Hi.
Just my little experience here with D-moll so far.

When I got it, I took the Diezel 2x12 RL cab with V30.
The clean and crunch were very nice and musical, not harsh at all.
I did not like it for very high gain, specialy in the low end. I had very loose and slow bass response with my 7 string and downtuned guitars. Definitely not what I expected. But this was at low volume.
When I cranked up the volume, it was something else, very nice mid-range coming out of D-moll and beautiful cleans all the way. All lot of bass also, but still with good presence.
Under high gain and high volume, low end was OK but still not tight enough for me.

Now I have the 2x12 FL with K100 and I love it. Perfect low end response, nice mids and highs, tight like hell and perfect for many styles of music.
The overall sound and low end specialy are very nice at high volume AND bedroom level.
If I was forces to find some negative points to it, it would be that it sounds a little bit dark at low volume, but this is very easily managed with the presence knob.
And maybe also it is important to mention that this FL cab is very mono directional. If you move like one step away from the center of the speaker, you hear less highs.

And last point, I asked Mr.Diezel himself at the Musikmesse this year (few weeks ago) which cab he would recommend for D-moll and he showed me a nice 4x12 FL v30...

I remember one very nice review of D-moll I read here on RT done by "Kev".
He tried D-moll prototype with all the Diezel cabs. It was a very useful review maybe you can have a look at it...

Good luck.
Cheers.

I prefer a front load V30's with my D-Moll. It's a bit unfocused and slightly muddy with a rear load. My Mills Acoustics rear load is the only RL cab that sounds good with it. The Mills also has V30's.

Ymmv.

That's some great info, thanks a lot fellas. "Faxanadu", I did read that review from "Kev" and that too had a lot of great info. I mostly likely will end up getting a Diezel FL Cab, but still not sure which speakers...V30's or K100's. Any idea how a Diezel FL Cab would sound with a V30 and a K100 mixed together??? Or is that a big No No with a FL Cab??? Thanks again everyone...

Gsxrbusa":1z421t1n said:
I prefer a front load V30's with my D-Moll. It's a bit unfocused and slightly muddy with a rear load.

Ymmv.

Do you have a 4x12 or 2x12? You find it muddy with standard tuning, drop or 7 string?

I tried the D-Moll with all Diezel cabs and various combinations and my favorite single cab solution was the FL with V30s. Eventhough it has less low end than the RL and was less bright then K100s, it just has the nicest mids and just sound right.

Since you dont have FL cabinet, I think you should try to get one.
You can easily swap the speaker out if you dont like it. Thats the great thing about the FL cabinet.

I love my Diezel FL K100 cabinet.

Profound":1zyez1s4 said:
Gsxrbusa":1zyez1s4 said:
I prefer a front load V30's with my D-Moll. It's a bit unfocused and slightly muddy with a rear load.

Ymmv.

Do you have a 4x12 or 2x12? You find it muddy with standard tuning, drop or 7 string?

I was speaking of a 4x12. Sorry. I'm tuned to drop C and drop C#. I actually don't prefer the D-Moll with my 7 string. It's a little loose for my tastes. Really, think I need a Hagen for my super low shit.

Thanks for the info everyone, definitely helps a lot. I think I'll end up going for the FL 2x12 w/ K100's. It seems to me that would be the better choice for what I'm looking for, so hopefully it's the right decision and won't be disappointed. Thanks again for all the info fellas...

Back