Got My Fokker, Played It, and Took Some Pics...

ubermetaldood

Banned
First, I concur with what people have already said about this amp. In my opinion, Diezel hits it out of the ballpark every single time. There isn't a single channel on any Diezel that I don't like. The Lil Fokker is an amazing amp. I have played a Herbert, VH4, Hagen, Einstein, and D-Moll, and I must say that there is something a little different and special about the Lil Fokker.

Maybe it's the reduced circuitry that makes it sound so good and feel so right to play. I've always ripped out all the extra circuitry in my Fender strats because I believe that it sounds better with less electronics, and maybe that's the kind of advantage the Lil Fokker has. It seems like most people who have commented on it so far think it sounds a lot like the VH4, but I think it has more Herbert going on. Well, the Herbert that I used to play on had EL34's, but the Fokker reminds me a lot of it for some reason.

I recently had a D-Moll which I really, really liked. In contrast, the Lil Fokker, at least to me, sounds more classic. It's less hi-fi and more organic. My D-Moll was a little squishy, but the Fokker I think is a little spongier. The clean channel goes from crystaline to a nice blues and classic rock kind of breakup. I thought the D-Moll cleans were fantastic but the Fokker is little better. The gain channel pretty much starts from there but a little more compressed. it's reaches JCM800 amount of gain probably around 11:00, and about 1:00 is liquid solo territory. Beyond 1:00, it still has a lot of gain on tap. It's very versatile. Between the two channels, you can get a lot of the D-Moll range of sounds. The EQ is very versatile with only the bass, middle, treble, presence, depth.

The Fokker doesn't have the ridiculous amount of low end the D-Moll seemed to have. It's kind of more classic midrange amp style, but once the depth knob gets up around 1:00, it start getting a lot more low end. It's not lacking any low end so it can be plenty for thrash and all, but it's more manageable. I had to keep the depth fairly low on the D-Moll because the low end was really strong on recordings and with closed back cabs.

If I wanted to pick a Diezel for brootz, the Fokker would not be my choice. I'm not saying that it can't hang with any brutal amp out there, but it's got more going on than the hi-fi, low end, gain machine thing. I think it's very versatile because of that.

I don't any complaints. There are a few minor little things I would like to improve, but as far as what it offers tonally, there is nothing that can be improved. Like I said, these are insignificant little things I noted:

- I wish the loop could be turned on/off with the foot switch.
- The foot switch disables the manual channel switch (that's typical I think, but some amps still allow the on-board switching to work)
- The front panel is recessed a little deep which makes it hard to read the control lables when you look down at the amp. If it's sitting on a full stack no problem.
- The FX loop seems just a tiny little bit darker when the amp is at low volumes, but seems to open up more once you get to a volume that's about as high as a fairly loud television.

It seems like people are disappointed with the look of the Lil Fokker and because it doesn't have the metal grill option. However, I think it looks cool. Also, the blue panel with white text makes it easy to read when you're playing in a dark club.

One thing I can say pretty definitively right now is that if someone is concerned that the Lil Fokker is "stripped down," then they shouldn't worry about that at all because this amp is VERY versatile. It has everything you need except for MIDI. The FX loop works awesome. There's really nothing else necessary. I think that people who want a really good, versatile clean sound should consider this amp even if they don't need much from the drive channel. The clean channel is impressive.

Well that's all for now. I only spent 2 hours playing it so I need more time to formulate a better opinion.

20140430_205305_zps86c63549.jpg

20140430_211207_zps09d7137b.jpg

20140430_211145_zpsec4a06c3.jpg

BackPanelNoSerial_zps5cac63a7.jpg

20140430_211331_zps066bfe2c.jpg

That is a great review. Sounds like a great value in an amp as well.

When you get a chance, how does she handle the lower gain lead type stuff? Old 70's rock and now Keith Urban tone. The double top secret Telecaster playing the old Led Zep II material.

Seems like Fokker is a sweet combination of tones. And I am not looking for super gain, got my Rhodes to cover that. The Diezel voice on classic rock and low gain sounds interesting.

Heritage Softail":eto3bwte said:
That is a great review. Sounds like a great value in an amp as well.

When you get a chance, how does she handle the lower gain lead type stuff? Old 70's rock and now Keith Urban tone. The double top secret Telecaster playing the old Led Zep II material.

Seems like Fokker is a sweet combination of tones. And I am not looking for super gain, got my Rhodes to cover that. The Diezel voice on classic rock and low gain sounds interesting.

Oh yeah. Like I said, it has more of a midrange voicing. Not as classic of a tone as say the Schmidt, but I don't hear as much hi-fi'ness as the DMoll. The gain channel has a broad sweep from light, perhaps, Zepplin amount of gain to liquid lead. The clean channel gets plenty of hair on it if you crank the gain. And if the volume is high enough, pretty sweet lead tone too.

are the transformers as massive as the ones on the DMoll? Somehow I correlate low end punch with the size of the transformer... ;)

can't wait for mine

UberschallEL34":2zch43rg said:
are the transformers as massive as the ones on the DMoll? Somehow I correlate low end punch with the size of the transformer... ;)

can't wait for mine

Transformers are ginormous.

After spending some more time with the Lil Fokker, I would have to revised my earlier statement about the low end. After recording a couple of tracks, I realized that it has a lot of low end, even enough for the most hardcore thrasher. In fact, I'm sure it has as much bass as the DMoll. The EQ's work so well, and the depth control is fantastic.

I like the clean channel of the Fokker better than the DMoll, and that's saying a lot because I really like the DMoll clean channel. When you max out the gain on the Fokker's clean channel, it sounds absolutely incredible. I think it gets probably like a 50w plexi amount of distortion and cleans up really well with the guitar's volume.

ubermetaldood":3n1syfj3 said:
After spending some more time with the Lil Fokker, I would have to revised my earlier statement about the low end. After recording a couple of tracks, I realized that it has a lot of low end, even enough for the most hardcore thrasher. In fact, I'm sure it has as much bass as the DMoll. The EQ's work so well, and the depth control is fantastic.

I like the clean channel of the Fokker better than the DMoll, and that's saying a lot because I really like the DMoll clean channel. When you max out the gain on the Fokker's clean channel, it sounds absolutely incredible. I think it gets probably like a 50w plexi amount of distortion and cleans up really well with the guitar's volume.
Yup.....concreted in my choice. Was on the fence of the D-moll and Lil Fokker.
But I really really like what I hear about the lil fokker. :rock:
I owned the Herbert and the VH4. The VH4 to me was a better amp (For what I played) then the Herbert.
This amp sounds like a Win/Win! ;)

Mailman1971":36xy35xm said:
ubermetaldood":36xy35xm said:

Yup.....concreted in my choice. Was on the fence of the D-moll and Lil Fokker.
But I really really like what I hear about the lil fokker. :rock:
I owned the Herbert and the VH4. The VH4 to me was a better amp (For what I played) then the Herbert.
This amp sounds like a Win/Win! ;)

Oh yeah, for sure. I didn't start getting the hang of it until late tonight, but now that I'm getting the hang of dialing it in, the tones I'm getting are incredible. As with the DMoll, low volume sounds are easy. As far as whether it resembles the Herbert or VH4, well at first I had the impression that it was more like the Herbert, but now that I have the hang of it, I believe it can kind of go either way depending on how you dial it in. The controls are powerful, especially the gain an depth. It's really an amazing amp.

Is the playing-feel "loose" like the Herbert or very controlled and extremely transparent like the vh4?

kahawe":38uiglo9 said:
Is the playing-feel "loose" like the Herbert or very controlled and extremely transparent like the vh4?
I've been curious about the feel of the amp as well.

kahawe":2lclsd6n said:

It's not loose. It's spongier or chewier feeling than the DMoll, but still with that easy, instant touch that makes shredding so fun. Very articulate for shred even at high gain with humbuckers. Doesn't cover mistakes though like some other high gain amps.

Id say the feel is pretty tight. Closer to vh4 than herbert. Ch1 max gain is heaven. Ch2 is just awesome. Vh4 ch3 kind of awesome, but dare I say more flexible. I like it for leads better than vh4ch3 and tight chug and power chord riffage still has the same kick in the teeth.

Back