D-Moll Too Much Bass?

ubermetaldood

Banned
I've been recording a lot at home lately and find the bass on my D-Moll overpowering. I have to run the depth almost completely off and the bass no more than 11:00. You have to do that with Mesa Boogies. Is it common among Diezel users to use low bass settings?

I run my bass and depth between 11-1:00
I often use a clean boost and the DMoll midcut

What cab are you using? Guitar? Pickups?
genre of music?

How are you recording?
Mic?
Placement (this is key)?

Regardless something doesn't sound right

All Diezels got good and very tight lows - this will depend a lot on your whole setup like guitar, pickups, speakers and cab as well as microphone used and the room you are in.

What tuning's you playing in?

I find that the cab has a massive impact on bass response, especially front loaded cabs. They tend to really thicken the low end & transfer the vibration into the floor. Room acoustics will also change the frequencies. I've had to really tweak amps on stage before now where the room acoustics totally changed my tone.

What tubes you running?

You tried a few different guitars?

I think the depth on a diezel is active so it makes it very dynamic like a bass so you have to treat it as such when going bass heavy. i never liked running it low because it changed the character of the amp. I never used extreme settings. if i knew now what i know about recording i guarantee you'd shit yourself with how awesome my guitar tone was. Now i Need to get me another Diezel... going to be a long road to it tho :/

think about it...you for metal/rock YOU ALWAYS compress the bass because of how dynamic it is... same rule can apply for a guitar too especially where the bass isn't being compressed and on an active circuit

Parallel compressing an already compressed-because-verylikely-higain guitar track will fix his booming lows...? :confused:

Yes... You're just taming the sub lows. They're much stronger then the already compressed dirt signal, not heavy compression just enough to even the low peaks. It's a pretty common practice actually... Especially in metal. The effect will actually make the sound feel more midrange heavy if done right.

Amps already yield lots of natural compression. Best to get your sound right at the source with effective mic placement before delving into studio tricks. I find the DMoll tracks extremely well as-is... so if the sound isn't right, I'd check out all the variables in the chain before doing hi pass compression in the DAW
I'll check out the Soundcloud when I get on a better browswer

Here's my setup:

I'm using a Sennheiser E-609 miced up to a Mesa Boogie 1x12 Recto cab loaded with an Eminence Private Jack. Mic position is just off-center. My mics go through a Blue Tube mic preamp and into a Tascam DP-02. I keep everything balanced and set my input level so that it doesn't clip. I take the .wav files from my Tascam and use Cubase to export the mixdown into an .mp3.

Here is kind of a quick and sloppy thing I just recorded real quick a few minutes ago to give you an example. There are two amps used in this track, the first one you hear is a Soldano Hot Rod 25 which is kind of a punchy 5881 based amp that has a nice, normal kind of low end. Then the 2nd iteration of the harmonized lead and the solo is my D-Moll which starts around 0:59. As you can hear, it has a huge low end. I have the bass set to around 11:00 and the depth set to about 9:00. I used a Diamond Memory Jr. in the FX loop for the solo and no other pre or post effects.

I also use Sony Sound Forge sometimes for quick editing. Both Cubase and Soundforge show the clipping meter right on the verge of clipping during the D-Moll lead. Here's the thing; if I go back and record it again but with the depth all the way off, the clipping level stays consistent, so it's like everything is cool as long as I keep the low end set very low.

It's not my mic positioning, not a bassy speaker, and nothing else. The tracks are all recorded at low volume but loud enough to where you can't really talk over it. My D-Moll has a huge amount of low end, more than any of my other amps. Other amps usually need a bit more low end at low volumes, but the D-Moll has a great low volume tone in my opinion. Anyway, here's the sample so let me know what you think I need to do to improve it.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12821317

Sounds pretty damn good to me.

I guess you strap a limiter on the way in to tame the low end on the way in. Or you can side chain/mulitband compressor for just the lows to control the peaks to prevent clipping,

But honestly, the easiest way is to just turn down the bass.

When recording, i find that what sounds best in the room usually doesnt translate that well in the recording and some sounds that i dont think sound that great in the room sound pretty awesome in the mix

Back