Should I switch the G12K100s for V30s?

zerotolerance

My cab came with all G12K100 and everything was good until I went "f*** this sh**", sold all my guitars and bought only Gibson Les Pauls. Something doesn't feel "right" now. I'm looking for more Marshall esque sound in my Diezel :D I was thinking about switching two G12K100 for 2 V30s in X pattern. I'm a fan of James Lugo tones and I know that he always (well, almost) uses V30s + something. I really love these records:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=965182&songID=7736954

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1130931&songID=10017418

Do you think switching to V30s and then mic'ing them (optionally combining with g12k100) will help me in any way?

I have tried multiple different speakers in different cabs, but at the end I have always returned back to V30s for distorted tones. So my vote goes to change them or get another cab with V30s in it. Could you perhaps loan another cab with V30s from someone to make some side-by-side testing with your cab? Of course cabs' construction makes some difference in the tones, but you should be able to distinguish the speaker elements characteristics pretty easily.

The construction of the cab has a huge impact on the sound.
Used V30s can often be found cheap and I would recommend trying them in your cab, assuming you have a Diezel cab already.

V30 all the way. I had a stint with g12k-100's in a front loaded cab but it was too flat leaning towards bassy I thought for the diezel voicing, just my opinion though.

I'm odd man out. I loved my G12K100 412 well over any V30 loaded cab in the Diezel lineage. Well balanced, great lows, awesome mic'd and thunderously potent.

To each their own :dunno:

Uncle Mo

Ventura":1pltr2x1 said:
I'm odd man out. I loved my G12K100 412 well over any V30 loaded cab in the Diezel lineage. Well balanced, great lows, awesome mic'd and thunderously potent.

To each their own :dunno:

Uncle Mo

I'm with you Uncle...
However, I like using G12K100's in my top FL 4X12 and V30's in the bottom 4X12.
Best of both worlds :rock:

I'm with Ventura, I vastly prefer the G12Ks over the V30s.. I use a 412FL with the G12K100s and I think that it really makes a Diezel sound like a Diezel.

To my ear, the G12Ks sound meaner, bite harder, mic better, record better, are more balanced, and highlight the tone of the instrument/amp instead of masking it.

V30s are great if you prefer the sound of an 'old T.V. speaker playing white noise' mixed in with the tone of your amp or have sustained enough frequency loss above 2kHz from excessive SPL exposure that the unpleasant hissing gets perceived as extra "presence".. Loads of folks disagree with me and love 'em tho.. tone is subjective as always.

I just went through a couple weeks of hard core speaker browsing with the D-Moll as my main amp in mind.
I have a Legend that I like, and decided to team it up with a WGS Retro. It's a stretch, but that's sort of my v30-ish side of my 4x12
The other 2 are k100s. I like them both in different ways...altogether, the sound is complex and so much fun to play.
So a big YES, I think a combo of (2) v30s and (2) k100s would be a great mixture :rock:

I don't gel with k100's. V30's are a staple. Careful buying new Chinese V30's as they will sound horrid for the first 40 hours or so. Once they are broken in...oh yeah! Used speakers might make it easier on you but chances are people are selling because they don't know about the break in period and don't like the sound, so you will most likely still have to break them in. The least painful way is to play music through them for a couple days.

Back