Preamp Tubes Shenanigans

Kev

Hey guys,
I wanna try different preamp tubes on my Herbert and wanted to know if there is anything I should consider or watch out for.

I thought of buying one of each AX7/ECC83 my local store (session, Ffm) has in stock and try them in V1 and later in the other positions.

Peter, you say you select the tubes yourself. What does mean exactly and why is it important?

Fyi, I'm looking for a sound with less harsh overtones / fizzle-sizzle on ch2/3, but more bright cleans and more pick-attack when distorted. I saw a few vids of people trying out different preamp tubes and was amazed by how much of an influence they have. Now I can't sleep at night, knowing I haven't tried all options.

Thanks in advance :rock:

My experience with preamp tubes is that you can try 5834789789 tubes and loose a lot of money or you better ask Peter for advice and he will change 2-3 resistors and/or capacitors for a few cents ;)

MourningEngine":12p8apv9 said:
My experience with preamp tubes is that you can try 5834789789 tubes and loose a lot of money or you better ask Peter for advice and he will change 2-3 resistors and/or capacitors for a few cents ;)

I've been to Peters workshop twice already and there is a limit to what you can influence with such minor tweaks to the circuit. Preamp tubes don't cost much and there are not that many different types/brands of 12AX7s and ECC83s; plus they last a long time. I'll stick with the recommended powertubes for reliability, but as a tone-seeker I have to see to which sounds I can bring my amp ;)

Kev":5ek2oyj5 said:
Hey guys,
I wanna try different preamp tubes on my Herbert and wanted to know if there is anything I should consider or watch out for.

I thought of buying one of each AX7/ECC83 my local store (session, Ffm) has in stock and try them in V1 and later in the other positions.

Peter, you say you select the tubes yourself. What does mean exactly and why is it important?

Fyi, I'm looking for a sound with less harsh overtones / fizzle-sizzle on ch2/3, but more bright cleans and more pick-attack when distorted. I saw a few vids of people trying out different preamp tubes and was amazed by how much of an influence they have. Now I can't sleep at night, knowing I haven't tried all options.

Thanks in advance :rock:

We use non microphonic 12AX7B in V1 and V2
and stock 12AX7B in the other slots.

Every tube sounds different, so sometimes I have to put
a tube in the trash can because it works but doesn´t sound
very well.

Back