New to Diezel amps...

Octavio323

Hey guys,

I believe I have just acquired the best amp in the word IMHO, the Diezel Herbert ;) ... Serial number 001-019

The best tone I have ever experienced.

Anyway, as I am new to these incredible amps, I am also new to the MIDI switching feature that came with it. Up until now, I am used to the simple channel switching pedal that comes with most amps. I have started reading up on this and found out that the MIDI world might be a little more complicated than I thought, at least for me.

So my question is, (and I'm sure that this has already been asked before), is there a regular channel switching pedal that I can use to switch channels on the Herbert? I will give the MIDI stuff a chance as time goes on, but as of right now, a switch pedal would be the easiest and fastest way to incorporate the Herbert into my current set up.

So again, if there is such a pedal, what is it? and where can I buy it?

I appreciate your help.

Diezel Herbert, handwritten serial number 001-019.

Thx,

Octavio

search for FS7HE...they're rare and expensive...and I don't think they work with your Herbert.

SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...............................

Most any midi foot controller will work.

You have to remember...you will not be able to set up buttons for individual features.

If you want channel 1 with no loop or midcut...that's a program
If you want channel 1 with no loop but midcut on...that's another program
If you want channel 1 with loop and midcut on...that's another program
If you want channel 1 with loop and midcut on and using the second master volume...that's another program
If you want channel 1 with loop on and no midcut and using the second master volume...that's another program
etc...

Get something like a (nice) Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro or (cheaper) Rolls Midibuddy...just hit the button you want to use on the footswitch, change the amp to what you want, hit store...and you've saved that program.

There are other midi pedals...you can get the ones mentioned at Sweetwater...but plenty of smaller manufacturers sell directly to the public and make top quality pedals.

You need one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/diezel_fs7_he_footswitch.htm?sid=30afac9d6c80ff06911c920c342d6060

315102.jpg

I've got one and they are great :)

He's obviously got a mark 1 with it being number 19.

Take a second look at midi use. I also didn't want anything to do with midi gear when I bought my Herbert and was pretty annoyed that there was no "basic" footswitch that came with it. As time went on, and I saw more and more awesome rigs where midi was controlling everything, and how nice it would be to step on one button to do multiple things, which actually brings the "complication" factor way down once you figure out you can have 3-5 basic "sounds" that you use that have have all of your effects mixed in for you. It's like using a regular footswitch anyway, but turning way more on or off with one switch.

Once I got a Ground Control Pro I realized a standard footswitch would just be collecting dust anyway, if it had come with my Herbert.

GCP is a good way to go.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

It sounds to me like I should "give MIDI a chance" lol.... and I will. Anything to make this tone a part of me, really.

Thank you for your kind and informative responses.

Cheers,

Oz

Welcome to the rest of your life :LOL: :LOL:

Definitely go midi, you will never go back.
This is one of the reasons I first tried Herbert as well.
Then I of course came to the same conclusion as you have...Herbert RULES!!!

Anyway, any midi controller will give you channel selection capabilities.
It really matters what else you will want to control, as to what pedal to buy.
SO, check out your future rig...what do you want to be able to do.
Then, plan your rig for expansion and the get the controller you need.

Have fun :rock:

I just strongly recommend a Ground Control Pro. It's pretty easy to learn how to program it, and the manual for it is simple to understand. That was big for me, because I'm not that great at computer type stuff.

Then, even if you use it to only switch channels right now, it would leave the door open for expansion in the future. The GCX audio switcher is also easy to use and works well, and obviously a great mate to the GCP. I use that combo.

Thx guys.

I'm looking at the Ground control right now as my #1 option. The more and more I read about MIDI the more I concur with you. MIDI "is" the way to go!

I know it won't be easy to learn but if I can do stuff like use different pedals on different loops/channels, and also eventually switch between 2 amps, etc......exciting!

Hmm. So I just got an FS7HE for my Herbert, which is a MK I and it's not going to work? It doesn't say that anywhere on the official sites that I've seen.

I had a MIDI Moose, but it just stopped working on me mid-set the other night.

delmuerte":19ijoaif said:
Hmm. So I just got an FS7HE for my Herbert, which is a MK I and it's not going to work? It doesn't say that anywhere on the official sites that I've seen.

I had a MIDI Moose, but it just stopped working on me mid-set the other night.

There is a thread on here where Peter Diezel said that the FS7HE only works with the MKII.

Man, that really, really sucks. I haven't even gotten a chance to try it out yet.

I guess then if my only option is to buy another MIDI controller, is there a way to control just the mute and loop functions? That's the most attractive thing the FS7HE offers.

Are there any Diezel-approved mods to get this to work? I.e., do I have any options here?

Other than that, what's the difference between a Mk I and Mk II?

Just make the correct patches with your midi controller. I have 7 that i use but i never use more than 3 in a song. There was someone building pedals for the herbert with a modded chip but it wasnt "diezel approved" and I don't know what happened to the person that was doing it.........

The main difference between the MKI and MKII is the transformers. The MKII has more headroom in the clean channel. I've heard people say they sound alittle different and I've heard people say they sound the same. I have a MKI that I love but I've never heard a MKII in person.

-Alex

That's the thing, though. Having a mute button would be perfect for stepping on and off for tight chokes. Going from channel 3 to channel 1 and back for a choke is not ideal. Also, having a channel that is a copy of channel 3+the loop on is not quite as ideal as just being able to turn on the loop with the working channel 3.

So I'm looking at the back of a MK2 and I don't understand how this footswitch is supposed to work with this one, either. The footswitch didn't come with any instructions and the footswitch in on the head (like the MK1) looks like XLR and the pedal is 1/4". Is it XLR to 1/4"?

The back of my mk1 has an xlr foot switch jack

Anyone know what foot switch is supposed to be used?
The Columbus is midi, no?

Back