Gold Lion KT88's in a VH4?

They are not a no go, just that Peter doesn't recommend them because of their high current draw. If you have to have them, bias at 50ma per pair, which is pretty darned cold.

I HAD to have KT88's when I first bought my Herbert, and biased at 50ma. Second go around I went with KT77's. I like them better, they are similar in tightness and very clean sounding, but slightly warmer than the 88's, I think due to a hotter bias at 70ma with 77's.

unless you're going to pay up for vintage UK gold lions, don't gamble your money. I tried to find a decent quartet of gold lion KT77's for an amp and everybody I talked to said they had had nothing but trouble with the new production gold lions- TC tubes stopped carrying them because of it, they're not the only ones. That was a couple years ago- but I half-heartedly tried to get a pair of GL KT66's for my superdrive 45 recently, and everybody said the same thing. Dunno if anybody else has had good luck with them though- but I wouldn't bet on it.

Burt Reynolds":3u5xucf4 said:
unless you're going to pay up for vintage UK gold lions, don't gamble your money. I tried to find a decent quartet of gold lion KT77's for an amp and everybody I talked to said they had had nothing but trouble with the new production gold lions- TC tubes stopped carrying them because of it, they're not the only ones. That was a couple years ago- but I half-heartedly tried to get a pair of GL KT66's for my superdrive 45 recently, and everybody said the same thing. Dunno if anybody else has had good luck with them though- but I wouldn't bet on it.

I got some GL KT66's from the Tube Depot very recently and they're spot on :rock:

ive used GL KT77s religiously for past few years. Zero issues. got them from Laura.

and I didn't like KT88s in VH4. Now SED 6550s...my mouth just watered!!

I have had no issues with the GL KT77's but have had issues with the GL KT88's. I am not restocking them FWIW.

Back