VH4 - Never saw this before.

To add, the 4 can have a bit of a mid honk but I have been able to dial that out.......For the most part.

~Abstract~":rtmuf5c1 said:
Philip":rtmuf5c1 said:
It's MID CUT on a VH4. I've had the same mod done to mine.

Details? :thumbsup:

I've got it both on my VH4 and Hagen. It was a very very expensive mod that I paid for and i went through hell to get them done. They pretty much can get to about 90% close to a Herbert but nothing will ever beat the Herbert in my opinion. It's gotta be that power section. I've got a Herbert MK1 haven't heart a Dmoll or a MKII for that matter. All through Diezel German Cabs and EL34's SED Winged =C=. Was it worth doing? I do like the mods a lot, especially as they are mid switchable, but I'm considering replace the VH4 and Hagen with another 2x Herbert's. I have a fair idea about guitar amps.

oh an P.S Thank you to both Peter's for making such great Amp's and Cabinets.

Hope this helps :)

Just opinion obviously but the vh4 sound is in the mid heaviness of the amp? Why would anyone want to destroy that with mid cut... Versatility I guess ...probably would help the clean channel but ehh.

Philip":1vzahdxr said:
~Abstract~":1vzahdxr said:
Philip":1vzahdxr said:

I've got it both on my VH4 and Hagen. It was a very very expensive mod that I paid for and i went through hell to get them done. They pretty much can get to about 90% close to a Herbert but nothing will ever beat the Herbert in my opinion. It's gotta be that power section. I've got a Herbert MK1 haven't heart a Dmoll or a MKII for that matter. All through Diezel German Cabs and EL34's SED Winged =C=. Was it worth doing? I do like the mods a lot, especially as they are mid switchable, but I'm considering replace the VH4 and Hagen with another 2x Herbert's. I have a fair idea about guitar amps.

Philip,

let´s be honest but don´t talk business over the internet.

I did all mods for free, the margin was not on our side.

Maybe time will come to get bucks from mods like it was
before 20 years. The status quo is that I need another life
to get my work done. Reality is that some guys asking for
500 bucks for replacing 3 components just in the condition
to switch on a solder pen. Or some dealers asking for
1000 USD for the mid cut mod. For me it´s a one hour work
and a component amount of 20 USD.

Sorry to run off topic and I understand that everybody has
to make their living very easily.

Thanks Philip that you had a lot of patience to be served.
Never had a customer staying relaxed this way.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Diezel":redft537 said:
Philip":redft537 said:
~Abstract~":redft537 said:
Philip":redft537 said:

Philip,

let´s be honest but don´t talk business over the internet.

I did all mods for free, the margin was not on our side.

Maybe time will come to get bucks from mods like it was
before 20 years. The status quo is that I need another life
to get my work done. Reality is that some guys asking for
500 bucks for replacing 3 components just in the condition
to switch on a solder pen. Or some dealers asking for
1000 USD for the mid cut mod. For me it´s a one hour work
and a component amount of 20 USD.

Sorry to run off topic and I understand that everybody has
to make their living very easily.

Thanks Philip that you had a lot of patience to be served.
Never had a customer staying relaxed this way.

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Papa

Yes you are correct, can't talk business over the internet, that's why I didn't mention who the dealer was and how much I paid for the mods on my end.

I would like to point out to everyone that this was a once off mod by Peter as a favor to the dealer. I believe Peter is trying to keep the business in production alignment and can't be having everyone sending their Hagen's and VH4's back to him for mods. Like he said he's so limited with time these days and busy running the business and raising his little boy. The poor bloke was emailing me usually at 3am German time.... :no: I was usually telling him to sleep. This just shows his dedication, so lets not break his balls too much fella's. :thumbsup:

I can definitively say that If you want the best of the Mid Cut feature stick with the Herbert. Peter designed the Amp originally to have it not add it to the circuit later on. With the Mid Cut scooping the 400Hz range you need a big power section to control the speakers precisely and obviously the Herbert having 6 Power Tubes and Bigger output transformers the mid cut sounds the best with it. The mods do add flavor to a VH4 and Hagen but without a doubt the Herbert is the king. Peter named it after his dad for a reason....effectively the mods bring the VH4 and Hagen close to the Herbert with Mid cut is on and then when you turn them off you've got a normal sounding VH4, Hagen and Herbert.

My last and final point I'd like to mention, and I can't STRESS THIS ENOUGH....get a German made Diezel cab. There is nothing better and bigger of a change to the sound of you rig guys than one of these cabs. The mods are nothing when compared to adding one of these cabinets. I've tried every speaker cabinet I can find and IMO you can't beat them.

Thank you Peter and guys.

Cheers Philip
Australia

My collection as of a year ago fellas. Peter said I should get a Herbert instead of a VH4 and Hagen with Mid Cut, and you know what.....he was right..take his word for gospel.

Cheers Philip
Australia

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 945
Made me smile seeing Papas reply. Not only a great amp builder but a supreme human being. Hope you are doing well Papa!!!

Back