Diezel Einstein gain structure

rabies

I'm not technical and haven't looked at the schematic for the Einstein but I was messing around with ch 1 (modes 1 & 2 [clean & texas]) last nite. I turned the gain and volume knobs to max and the master volume around 0.5 or 1 out of 10 (in the house). This amp does not seem to have the same amount of gain or gain structure as other tube amps (mainly Marshall/Mesa/Rivera/Peavey) I've played in the past. Is this by design (i.e. intentional) or is something wrong with this particular Diezel?

It seems that the amp won't get fizzy/buzzy type of distortion which is good but you need a fair amount of saturation in the preamp section to be able to pull off artificial/pinched harmonics, correct?

If I can get a decent amount of gain to pull off harmonics but not get too fizzy/buzzy that would be a good combination.

Umm.... let's see. Clean and Texas are the lower gain settings. Texas has maybe a touch more preamp gain than a stock JCM 800 2203/2204. If you need more gain than that, use an OD pedal to boost or just use the Mega mode or Channel 2. That would seem easy?

Diezel's are not a Marshall, Mesa, Rivera, or Peavey. To me they are very unique and they are definitely their own thing; not a copy of some other classic design.

Diezel's tend to not get fizzy or buzzy; many people think that's a good thing.

You can get pinched harmonics with a completely clean tone.

Honestly, I played an Einstein only for a few minutes (I owned a few VH4s for a long time), but I thought it was very very simple to use. Point everything to noon and rock out. Small tweaks from there for this or that. Want more gain? Increase the mode or channel. Less gain, decrease the mode or channel.

You're making this way too hard for yourself.

Ok Fairfax, Sterling, Annandale kinda guy (I used to live in Herndon and Sterling and Fairfax).

You're right, but it's waaaaaay easier than Axe FX. that's for sure....

really unhappy with the gain and harmonics on this amp, guess i'm not a diezel guy. hard to leave marshalls.

hmm wait.. one thing is to not like the amp sounds.. but the other is bragging about a missing loop button/ price etc.. it's essentially the simplest of Peter's designs and to be honest, you knew what you were buying specs wise, right? It's the first thing I do a research on - how many channels, what is switchable, does it have midi etc..

in addition, I think there might be something wrong (perhaps not even with your amp) cause I haven't had a single problem playing pinched harmonics on channel 1 mega or ch2 when i tried one in the shop.. hmm.. what cab do you use? I've had some heads sounding weird on certain cabs where it was harder to get pinched harmonics sound right, whereas on others it sounded superb.. :confused:

K-mark5":20onzqdq said:
hmm wait.. one thing is to not like the amp sounds.. but the other is bragging about a missing loop button/ price etc.. it's essentially the simplest of Peter's designs and to be honest, you knew what you were buying specs wise, right? It's the first thing I do a research on - how many channels, what is switchable, does it have midi etc..

in addition, I think there might be something wrong (perhaps not even with your amp) cause I haven't had a single problem playing pinched harmonics on channel 1 mega or ch2 when i tried one in the shop.. hmm.. what cab do you use? I've had some heads sounding weird on certain cabs where it was harder to get pinched harmonics sound right, whereas on others it sounded superb.. :confused:

yesterday I was using an old school mesa half open-back (ms12 loaded 150 watt) speaker cab. i've used a gflex 212 (like V30's) and pretty much similar results. I checked bias and one pair was a little low.

Ok so I ran the Einstein with the gflex 212 (ported) today at the studio. The main difference this time was I set the volume knobs on both channels to 10 (max). Master 1 was between 1-1.5 (below 9 o'clock) I'm guessing. Gain at 2 o'clock on ch 2 and max on ch 1. everything else pretty much near noon. Sounded damn awesome with (or even without) a Maxon OD808 pedal in front. I was getting all kinds of sick pinched harmonics and sick bass. Running chorus/delay G Major patch in parallel effects loop (75%).

I've come to realize now after playing this amp cranked a few times that it's by far the "scariest" sounding amp I've used. Very intimidating dungeon tone (due mostly to the depth knob) and very nice touch sensitivity and sustain. It's actually quite a pleasure to play thru with a Les Paul.

I'm wondering if the ch 2 gain structure/tone depends on the mode you select in ch 1. Does that make a difference (i.e. are the channels/modes independent or not)?

Back