6L6 vs KT77/EL34

~Abstract~

I've got a 2001 VH4S I need to retube.

Thinking about these tubes.

Considering the 6L6 because it's what it came with originally...and I've already got a VH4 with EL34's.
Wanting to switch it up.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

I was never a fan of 6L6 (but I have never tried those in a Diezel). They seem to be good for low-end and highs. Don't seem to cut thru (mids) as well as EL34's. I have tried KT77's and they were like a hybrid b/n EL34 and 6L6. I always use JJ E34L's if I can but the Ruby EL34's in my Einstein are pretty happening...

I would try them. The VH4 doesn't exactly struggle to cut through, so I wouldn't worry about that. My 01 VH4 has the Ruby 6L6's and so far I like it.

trypple amp":z2zm0hdx said:
Has anyone ever tried some el34 n.o.s. mullards in a vh4.Or even current mullards? :confused:

The amp wasn't voiced with those tubes in mind. It would likely sound great...but by all accounts, the amp sounds great with less expensive tubes.

Save the NOS quads for your vintage British amps.

The modern production Mullards are junk imo.

I agree.These jjkt-77's sound so good in my vh4.I was just playing through two recto 2x12's.each with a v30 and c90.Best sound i have ever had!!

i try my VH4S (JJ KT77) with differents speakers this summer (with the same cabinet)

CELESTION CREAMBACK G12H-75
CELESTION VINTAGE 30

I recorded the sound with my smartphone... Sorry :D

You can hear that here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGV90x ... e=youtu.be

It's not very evident here.... But the CREAMBACK are just INCREDIBLE!! The sound is heavier but less aggressive for the ears and the bass frequencies are most definite!

My 4s had 6l6s in it when I got it. Sounded great but I already had a 6l6 amp so I switched to JJ E34L and I'm not going back.

Those creambacks sound so good Loic.All my mesa cabs have a combo of v30 and the c-90 they use.I might have to try some creambacks because that video you made is quite convincing.

In that video the creamback does sound nicer indeed. But I can imagine that in a band situation the V30 is still better because it just cuts through like nothing else.

The cabinet with the creamback is used by the other guitarist of my band and before he used V30 speakers... So we compared in a band condition : the Creamback is better. He cuts through the other instruments like the V30

I've used all three. The EL34 were pretty aggressive. The 6L6 were a bit darker. Nice cleans.

The KT77 is my preference of the three. Seems warmer than the EL34. Not that i get to drive the amp particularly hard nowadays to make the most of them. :(

I had someone mod an old Peavey XXX to accept the JJE34L. Think the amp needed 1000ohm screen resistors installed. Made a relatively budget valve amp sound a lot better.

Peter mailed me back when I inquired about replacing some duff tubes. I had the JJE34L spares lying about. He didn't think it was a particularly reliable tube as I recall.

Back