Midi Cables -- Which is the best

ballz

What Midi cables do you find work the best and last the longest? Are the cheap $12 cables ad good as the $50?

There probably isn't much difference in the actual cable but there sure is in the connectors. I have had good experiences with the Pro Co ones.

One word of advice is to consider the diameter of the chassis of the connector.

Not sure about the other Diezels, but the midi inputs on the VH4 are flanked by two screws. If the diameter of the chassis is greater than the distance between the two screws, you can't plug the midi cable in.

Be mindful here, as I invested in a really quality cable that did not fit.

You can see what I mean here...
Diezel003.jpg

It would almost be better if the screws were rotated 45 degrees around the connection & offset another 5mm or so each side.

Midi is digital.

It's not like audio cables.

I see no reason to spend more than bare bones for a cable which doesn't pass audio signal.

I am using a cheap 5m MIDI cable that I got used along with my G-Major. Hasn't let me down in the last 4 years since I got it. Nevertheless I always take a spare cable with me for gigs but I do that for all cables and tubes.

JimmyBlind":ttmvfj8w said:
One word of advice is to consider the diameter of the chassis of the connector.

Not sure about the other Diezels, but the midi inputs on the VH4 are flanked by two screws. If the diameter of the chassis is greater than the distance between the two screws, you can't plug the midi cable in.

Be mindful here, as I invested in a really quality cable that did not fit.

You can see what I mean here...
Diezel003.jpg

It would almost be better if the screws were rotated 45 degrees around the connection & offset another 5mm or so each side.

Had no issue with the diameter but listen to you.
Easy solution would be to mount the jacks from the outside
of the chassis.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks for the heads up on that JimmyB.
I didn't have a clue what you were talking about till you posted a picture of the cable.
Good to know :thumbsup:

Not sure how often that problem comes up, but I figured the input on the amp 'could' be considered on future models to be more like this, so that the screws are further away from the input & accept a broader range of midi cables.

midi_zps0998b590.png

Easiest thing of course is to simply buy a midi cable that fits :)

Peter Diezel":3h14u2gz said:
Please tell me a midi jack with this dimensions

Didn't realise the connection on the Diezel was a standard part. My drawing implies a bespoke connection on the amp. Could the screws be flat & sit flush with the back panel of the amp?

It's really a problem with the cable. Users should just check that the cable they are buying doesn't have an oversized chassis.

Who ever made this shitty jack to midi standard had no
experience about the praxis. People try to make it better
with extra big plugs that don´t fit into holes but the real
problem are the pins. They are sensitive and not road ready.
What is the deal with an extra big cable and extra big plug
chassis while the pins are 1mm ?

21 years with no issues and now I should change the chassis
design ? I will calm down and have a solution.

Btw, without the VH4 we have a XLR jack to connect with
the Columbus footswitch ;)

Peter Diezel":3gmmj2o1 said:
Who ever made this shitty jack to midi standard had no
experience about the praxis. People try to make it better
with extra big plugs that don´t fit into holes but the real
problem are the pins. They are sensitive and not road ready.
What is the deal with an extra big cable and extra big plug
chassis while the pins are 1mm ?

21 years with no issues and now I should change the chassis
design ? I will calm down and have a solution.

Btw, without the VH4 we have a XLR jack to connect with
the Columbus footswitch ;)

I don't think you should change the connection just yet. This is the only midi cable i have bought that didn't fit. Don't let it dampen your spirits! :thumbsup:

Not sure what the point here is.

Just go down to guitar center or whoever and buy some regular midi cables. They work fine, plug into a normal plug, and aren't expensive.

The point is to make sure that the midi cable you are buying is compatible with the Diezel amp midi inputs.
I have provided a link to an example cable that is not compatible with the VH4.

Back