Einstein for bass guitar? is it safe?

tripstan

Can I use my Einstein into a 4x10 cab? I don't think there would be any issue as long as the cab and head ohms match up.

The amplifier is going to be ok.

The speakers in the cabinet may or may not. Only use bass speakers.

Play with the EQ...you may find it doesn't sound like a bass amp. :LOL:

He posted in the reular forum as well. I'm understanding that he means a 4x10 bass cab.
I've used my D-moll for bass, and if you can live with a growly bass sound, it sounds great :)

The deep function paired with the very efficient EQ, makes it very useful for certain applications.
I also have a Markbass TA 501, which is made for bass, but for growly, half overdriven sounds (rock bass with a pick), it's great.

Hell, I've used the Markbass as a power amp with my ENGL 530 preamp too :D

~Abstract~":5f76zabw said:

Can 12" speakers really take damage from a bass playing through them?
Don't most guitar amps cut off super-low frequencies anyways?

always wondered why bass uses smaller speakers, seems counter-intuitive to me. i'd imagine you'd want to be running 4x15" spkrs.

the einstein has so much bass/depth on tap that it's really actually designed for bass. if you don't believe me compare it to the 2205 head that Tom Morello uses, that has no bass...

Kev":ifdwvna2 said:
~Abstract~":ifdwvna2 said:

Oh yeah it will totally kill speakers. Just because a crossover filter "cuts off" lower frequencies doesn't mean it completely eliminates them.

A filter (depending on the order...long story...stay with me) just reduces the volume of lower frequencies.

If your fundamental tone is below that frequency, it'll be slightly quieter, but you'll find yourself compensating with volume.

Excursion kills speakers. Basses make low notes by increasing speaker throw (excursion).
Guitar speakers DO NOT need much excursion to make guitar notes. They aren't built for low notes.
Playing low notes thru them will kill them.
Quickly. And they may OR MAY NOT let you know you're hurting them.
Don't do it.

~Abstract~":1rhybd07 said:
Kev":1rhybd07 said:
~Abstract~":1rhybd07 said:

Oh yeah it will totally kill speakers. Just because a crossover filter "cuts off" lower frequencies doesn't mean it completely eliminates them.

A filter (depending on the order...long story...stay with me) just reduces the volume of lower frequencies.

If your fundamental tone is below that frequency, it'll be slightly quieter, but you'll find yourself compensating with volume.

Excursion kills speakers. Basses make low notes by increasing speaker throw (excursion).
Guitar speakers DO NOT need much excursion to make guitar notes. They aren't built for low notes.
Don't do it.

Yep.

If I had little money, and needed to get a 2x12 that could handle both bass and guitar, I'd probably load it with 2 12" bass speakers.
It's a tradeoff, but something like the Eminence Delta Pro A would probably work for both. Put two of those in a ported 2x12, like the TC Electronics BC 212, and call it a day.

~Abstract~":1dav9rje said:
Kev":1dav9rje said:
~Abstract~":1dav9rje said:

Don't do it.

Are guitars capable of doing damage as well? I test drove a baritone SG tuned to drop A and on the clean channel, there was quite a bit of... "fartyness", I guess I would call it. Just sounded like the speaker was getting pushed too much. I didn't push my luck with it because it didn't sound good but I also didn't want to do any harm to the speakers.

esizer":24xisxsi said:
~Abstract~":24xisxsi said:
Kev":24xisxsi said:
~Abstract~":24xisxsi said:

Don't do it.

Are guitars capable of doing damage as well? I test drove a baritone SG tuned to drop A and on the clean channel, there was quite a bit of... "fartyness", I guess I would call it. Just sounded like the speaker was getting pushed too much. I didn't push my luck with it because it didn't sound good but I also didn't want to do any harm to the speakers.

Yeah. They can. And you don't have to be exceeding the wattage of the speaker to do it.

Again, it's a long story but the wattage rating on speakers is a thermal rating. A "clean" rating, if you will.

I have personally wrecked greenbacks in a 412 with a 20w amp. In under an hour.
Playing dissonant, downtuned, shit. Screwing around with the amp wide open.

Tuned to E Standard...you'd likely be OK as long as you aren't exceeding the wattage rating of the speaker.
(Remember the wattage rating of the amp is clean...without any breakup. As soon as you're distorting the power section, you're making more watts *heat* than the amp is "rated" for...a 100w amp, dimed, will make WAY more...sometimes 50% more...watts than 100.)

As soon as you start asking the speaker to play loud AND LOW...you're asking for trouble.

~Abstract~":2s51bkza said:
esizer":2s51bkza said:
Kev":2s51bkza said:

Don't do it.

Yeah. They can. And you don't have to be exceeding the wattage of the speaker to do it.

Again, it's a long story but the wattage rating on speakers is a thermal rating. A "clean" rating, if you will.

I have personally wrecked greenbacks in a 412 with a 20w amp. In under an hour.
Playing dissonant, downtuned, shit. Screwing around with the amp wide open.

Tuned to E Standard...you'd likely be OK as long as you aren't exceeding the wattage rating of the speaker.
(Remember the wattage rating of the amp is clean...without any breakup. As soon as you're distorting the power section, you're making more watts *heat* than the amp is "rated" for...a 100w amp, dimed, will make WAY more...sometimes 50% more...watts than 100.)

As soon as you start asking the speaker to play loud AND LOW...you're asking for trouble.

I've dropped the 6th string to drop A on a les paul with distortion and loud and never seemed to harm the speakers in the gflex 212 cab.

rabies":107xv0mc said:
I've dropped the 6th string to drop A on a les paul with distortion and loud and never seemed to harm the speakers in the gflex 212 cab.

Preamp or poweramp distortion?

Those are 75w drivers right? You're pretty safe with those.

(except they sound like shit). ;)

Good to know thanks! I was only at about 9 o'clock on the master volume and the clean channel volume at about 12 o'clock.

In my band I have used 2x12" (V30s) with 8-string guitars tuned in F# for years. Stage, studio and rehearsals. We are not super loud, but neither a quiet band either. I use VH4 connected to on 2x12" and Mako MAK2 connected to another 2x12" which are run simultaneously in parallel. But the essense of the sound is not in the bass frequencies, but in the middle so I have never had issues with speakers. I know I am pushing my spekers close to the edge from time to time, but I prefer the tone compared to 4x12" and speakers are relatively cheap to change if problems arise. So far +10 years without damage, so Im not too worried. And let me repeat myself, the tone is not in the bass freqs.

On the other hand we have blown 12" Eminence Delta in a 4x12" bass cab and this speaker is rated 500W each. So enough power on tap and high peaks can cause destruction.

And refering to the original post. Few times I have also recorded some bass tracks using Herbert and that gives rather thick bass distortion sound. It sounds very guitarish, but sometimes you just want that kind of tone.

Actually. Just thinking more about that Gflex box... That's a band pass box. Below the tuning freq of the box, the air suspension will unload and your wattage rating will fall considerably.

On second thought...I'd still be cautious even given the wattage rating of the speakers.

But look on the bright side, if you blow the speakers, you'll have a bona fide excuse to change them. Haha

Back