Herbert power tubes

jd267

so what tube combo's are you guys liking in the Herbert ? I have a crap ton of preamp tubes and about 15 quads of power tubes. I don't do JJ tubes besides there 88's. There Pre's are lifeless . I use square getter old China tubes and LPS for inverter. My favorite power tubes are rubys I have tried them all. I really like the el34 BHT they sound better than the bster rubys that everyone likes. The BHT sounds more natural and solid. I feel a lot of today's production tubes are nothing to run home about except Ruby .

I think Peter said not to use 88's and 6550 tubes this true Pete?

So I see a ton of threads with guys running kt88/6550 combos in there Herbert's . Then see a post from Peter saying not to. Wonder why he said that? Don't diezel offer the Herbert with kt88 stock? I would love to mix power tubes and kt88 and 6550 are the tubes I wanted to try. What's the deal fellas

jd267":2reyru7r said:
So I see a ton of threads with guys running kt88/6550 combos in there Herbert's . Then see a post from Peter saying not to. Wonder why he said that? Don't diezel offer the Herbert with kt88 stock? I would love to mix power tubes and kt88 and 6550 are the tubes I wanted to try. What's the deal fellas
There is not tons of threads here on RT with guys running KT88/6550 combos. Maybe a few, but only a couple of guys here, me being one of them.

Peter says not to because the current draw is pretty high and is tough on the amp, which is why he recommends a cold bias with big bottles.

No, the Herbert has never come from the factory with KT88's, ever.

Whats the deal? You have to run a cold bias with big bottle tubes to minimize stress on the amp, so whats the point then? I used to run 6 KT88's and preferred them over the stock winged C EL34's because I had too much mids and compression. Guess what, winged C 34's are known for compression and extra mids when compared to other 34's.....

When I went from the KT88's on a cold bias to a set of KT77's set at 35mv, I was sold. It sounded a bit better and I feel better knowing the amp has the correct tubes in it. Besides, it's pointless. The Herbert is known for it's monster bass, and it has plenty of clean power from having 6 tubes, so going to big bottles doesn't make sense really.

Good to know man thanks for clearing that up. What tubes you running now if I may ask? All kt77 or a mix.

I have 6 JJ KT77's in mine. It's my favorite tube now, I put a set of them in my Cobra too, I like them better than 34's. They are very clean sounding and helped kill a little bit of fizz in the Cobra. I also like how the 77 is pretty neutral in the EQ, not scooped at all like a 6L6 and no mid hump like a 34.

I still use the el34bht. Bstr sounds rubbish and the kt77's sounded lifeless to me. I'll give them another go sometime though.

These are what work in my rig. Different guitars, preamp tubes, eq, pickups, cabs, etc will yield different results.

Back