Kemper VS Torpedo live

Hello,

I am struggling with the decision of having the Kemper or the torpedo and I would like some opinions and experiences.

So, I have 3 tube amplifiers and my goal is record and silent playing (headphones) because I do not own a caption room. I am working on my amp collections so I can have the different flavors in my hand and also as a collection thing. I tested the Kemper and I really liked it, tho I wasn't blown away by it, and I like to have the tweekability and dynamics of the amp.

Bottom line my goals are:

-Great sound
-silent recording
-playing with headphones

NO live applications

P.S. I already own a Palmer PDI 03 but I am not happy with the recording sound I get out of it.

I would say try first Palmer without speaker simulation into TwoNotes plug-in (Wall Of Sound, I think there is a free demo download).
I found the combination Palmer+Cab(or WoS) combination very, very good – I like it a bit better as Torpedo Live.

+1 to this!

MacOSatch":33a7i4j9 said:
I would say try first Palmer without speaker simulation into TwoNotes plug-in (Wall Of Sound, I think there is a free demo download).
I found the combination Palmer+Cab(or WoS) combination very, very good – I like it a bit better as Torpedo Live.

I tried my Herbert with my Palmer PGA04 unfiltered signal in my audio interface and then used Recabinet running in LogicX. It worked quite well, but IIRC, the bass has been a bit flabby.

Paradigma_bizarro":23vc10b7 said:
interesting, you mean with the non simulator outputs into the Two-Notes software? ant does that work well?

yes, this way you use load from palmer (that is what eg is difference between Torpedo Live and Torpedo Cab, Live has reactive load built in) and goes into the Torpedo Software (here you have IRs, EQ, power amp sim etc – all possibilities that are built in Live and Cab).

IMHO you can download free trial of WallOfSound and try it, the difference to Torpedo Live would be minimal – IMHO at the same quality level. Torpedo Live I would consider only if I want to use it live or I do not want to use computer – but for recording I always use computer :)

Nice tips guys, I downloaded the software now I need to try it out with my setup, so far it sounds goods, I think this solution just saved me a lot of money thank you all and special to MacOSatch :)

the torpedo is great for sure.
i 've got the kemper rack and love it for its sound and versatility.
with the torpedo you'll only get the sound of your amps
and waste the tubes...

1012019_10201637794860996_1419887861_n.jpg

I tried Torpedo, isocab and Kemper - all solutions had their good and bad side of the coin. Kemper has been the most versatile solution and the (Stefan Grossmann) Isocab with two mics offers the best sound. I sold all of them after trying the Mesa Cab Clone. It took a while to figure out the best setting but now I am completely convinced of this solution.It may stress the tubes a bit more like any other power brake as well but now I get the real sound real quite if needed. Yes - a perfect mic'd speaker still sounds better or a bit more "natural"(all alternatives won't meet the 100 % compared to this) but related to the versatility, sound and last not least the price this solution is simply great. Since I got this I carry my VH4 from the rehearsel room to my home much more often to join the possibility to play it at home with a real "loud sound" without annoying my family.

proxmax":13xvy0gg said:
and waste the tubes...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'd like to hear from more people that have used both. Fluff and now Reza claim that the Torpedo is superior...it has my curiosity peaked. I need to make sure my clips are at the highest level when I release them here on RigTalk :LOL: :LOL:

Peter Diezel":3mianuyy said:
proxmax":3mianuyy said:
and waste the tubes...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

:LOL: :LOL: I'm with you Peter

Paradigma_bizarro":2cw65dpo said:
Hello,

I am struggling with the decision of having the Kemper or the torpedo and I would like some opinions and experiences.

So, I have 3 tube amplifiers and my goal is record and silent playing (headphones) because I do not own a caption room. I am working on my amp collections so I can have the different flavors in my hand and also as a collection thing. I tested the Kemper and I really liked it, tho I wasn't blown away by it, and I like to have the tweekability and dynamics of the amp.

Bottom line my goals are:

-Great sound
-silent recording
-playing with headphones

NO live applications

P.S. I already own a Palmer PDI 03 but I am not happy with the recording sound I get out of it.

Have you tried to profile your amps with the Kemper? I've had great results making my own profiles. To my ears, they came out pretty spot-on.

I understand how someone could be disappointed with trying a Kemper out of the box as each of us has the perfect tone embedded in our brain. That is why I suggest profiling your perfect tone. Profiling usually brings in many variables that may not be easy to overcome such as the room, mics, preamps, mic placement etc...I can see where the Live makes these not valid, that is why I would suggest profiling your setup with the Live direct. I imagine the tone would be virtually identical.

I personally don't have a Live and wonder if anyone has experience profiling direct with it?

The Kemper sounds only as good as the profile.

I've had a Kemper for awhile, and thought it would be my perfect recording solution, but I've had a tough time getting the right tones out it (for me). Basically the drawback of the Kemper is that you are using other peoples tones. Unless of course you have the right equipment to do your own profiles. I tried it once, and the one thing that really drove me nuts is that the one thing the Kemper falls over on is if you have a tubescreamer in the path, it over-accentuates it and it sounds crap (even says so in manual). Some people are able to avoid this with their profiles, but every time I do it, or even add a tubescreamer after the fact, I get this unsatisfactory sound when I push a Marshall profile with a TS.

The good thing about the Kemper is that you can try pretty much every amp out there and save you a lot of GAS and $$$ from amp swapping. I've always been a Marshall guy and I found I gravitated to those tones anyway, or amps that were in the ballpark (5150iii, Engl Blackmore)
Problem is there is very few really good profiles for each amp, and even then, it might not be your tone. Especially when people are using different mic's and speakers than you want.

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a Torpedo Live up here in Canada to use with my Marshall JVM HJS... if anyone has a used one ;)

I'm new to the forum, and late to the party as it were on this thread.
Here's my contribution:
I would prefer the torpedo live for its interactive load, if I were buying cold. However, since I have a variety of THD hot plates, I purchased a torpedo pedal and haven't looked back. Live and studio engineers appreciate this set-up for easy prep and immediate use (nothing worse at a pro gig than wasting time). I have used vintage Marshalls, VHT, Mesa, Suhr and soon my newly acquired Diezel Lil' Fokker with it. The cab, mic and power amp simulations are fantastic and offer incredible versatility with any rig. I own and use the crap out of a Royer R122, and the simulated R121 in the torpedo is spot on-which is scary, really.
On another note, the Mesa Cab Clone is very cool. I purchased one a few weeks ago and have had great success tracking with it in a variety of situations. It is a bit limited compared to the Two Notes product. It offers three cab sims (eq curve is that of an SM57 at the edge of the dust cap for each sim), an XLR DI with adjustable level, headphone out, speaker through (which defeats the interactive load), phase and ground lift; a crazy value at $300. It is limited to 100 watts, but apparently there are plans for a 150 watt version.
In the studio, I run the torpedo or the cab clone through a UA LA610 Mk2 pre with just a little compression to smooth the top end; ridiculous tone, achieved without wasting time.
Pete Thorn did a great YouTube video on the twonotes products, if you really need more info.
As to sims and IRs of amps...I'd rather save and own the real thing, but agree that in a professional environment they really get the job done quickly. Nothing beats steady calls and pay for playing your guitar. Any gear purchased to support that endeavor, or producing music for personal enjoyment is the appropriate gear. Thank you Peter for making stellar amps that appropriately support those endeavors on every level.
Cheers.

Back