Getting a Hagen

WizardSouth-JP

I found a good deal I couldn't resist :D
I've had the VH4, Herbert, Dmoll & Lil Fokker - all great amps, had to sell a couple for medical junk and other mess, but I really like the punch of the Diezel sound.

I think my least favorite was the Lil Fokker (but it's still a fantastic amp), probably just because it had so much gain, but channel 1 was down right awesome. Great cleans and roll the gain up for a great crunch tone.

The DMoll and Herbert were close to me, but the DMoll had a more open sound and huge low end. My 2013 VH4 I think had a bad tube or something because it didn't have a ton of low end thump and push that I was accustomed to.

So - the Hagen, some seem to love it or hate it, I think there are guys in both camps. I am excited to try it out and hoping for good results.

I like the Hagen, compared to the VH4, it doesn't sound a heck of a lot different to my ears. But, I have an early VH4 that is darker voiced. The Hagen has the gritty aggressiveness of the VH4, but with a hint of Herbert's low end to it. Ch4 does not impress me though, I think the VH4 ch4 is better. I use CH3 on my Hagen mostly. The Hagen is pretty tight, but not quite as stiff feeling as a VH4, but stiffer than the Herbert. I do like the loops in the Hagen much better than the switchable parallel in the VH4.

UberschallEL34":1b9cgf46 said:
I've had the VH4, Herbert, Dmoll & Lil Fokker - all great amps, had to sell a couple for medical junk and other mess, but I really like the punch of the Diezel sound.

I think my least favorite was the Lil Fokker (but it's still a fantastic amp), probably just because it had so much gain, but channel 1 was down right awesome. Great cleans and roll the gain up for a great crunch tone.

The DMoll and Herbert were close to me, but the DMoll had a more open sound and huge low end. My 2013 VH4 I think had a bad tube or something because it didn't have a ton of low end thump and push that I was accustomed to.

So - the Hagen, some seem to love it or hate it, I think there are guys in both camps. I am excited to try it out and hoping for good results.

You think the VH4 had a bad tube so rather than find out...you just sold it?

:thumbsup:

~Abstract~":23neq76q said:
UberschallEL34":23neq76q said:

Not sure, the amp sounded great all around, but was lacking huge low end (perhaps what some folks call huge low is now what others call huge) compared to the Herbert or DMoll. I didn't sell a dud of an amp of that's what you're implying.

:thumbsup: you'll dig it.
Easy to dial in.
All channels have there own vibe.

Let us know how you like it.

John4021":2zdnft1i said:
:thumbsup: you'll dig it.
Easy to dial in.
All channels have there own vibe.

Let us know how you like it.

Thanks John - Diezels are pretty simple to dial in a decent tone for sure. The amp will be here early next week - was thinking FedEx was going to hit Friday but says Saturday - and I shipped to work.

I have a few different styles of guitars to plug into it but my go to is my gold Suht T with BKP in it. I hope it digs my SG though, I put some Rio Grande pups in it and am really liking the midrange kick.

UberschallEL34":3tku3rwk said:
~Abstract~":3tku3rwk said:
UberschallEL34":3tku3rwk said:

Not sure, the amp sounded great all around, but was lacking huge low end (perhaps what some folks call huge low is now what others call huge) compared to the Herbert or DMoll. I didn't sell a dud of an amp of that's what you're implying.

I have a 2013 VH4 and feel the same, my friend has a 2007 and when I played with it in a band I had to roll off the deep, but with mine I have to get it up, I believe is the use of KT77 instead of my friend's and 2007 VH4 with EL34 stock.

I really believe is a power tube thing, can anyone else say why?

Rick (Inca Roads) traded + cash for my VH4, he said it was freaking killer. The Herbert had plenty of low end, as did the DMoll. I have a Mesa Triple Rec that when I first got it lacked bass (which is odd) so I swapped some preamp tubes and viola - amp was huge and sounded amazing.

Not that it wont gel in the other channels,
but I think that Trucks SG w/the Rio Grande pickups will hook up in channel 2 best.
Set the gain high and use your guitars volume.....magic ~

yeah - channel 2 on the VH4 was friggin good with the gain up. Channel 2 on Herbert was awesome too - I think my guitars will gel - depending where gain on amp is. Volume knob for bluesy playing is critical - I often forget it when doing chugga metal! haha

UberschallEL34":ckataz15 said:
~Abstract~":ckataz15 said:
UberschallEL34":ckataz15 said:

I'm not implying anything.

I just think it's funny that you think there was a problem with the amp...which would require a cheap/easy fix...but rather than fixing it and seeing if maybe you could make it perfect, you just decided to move on.

lol

lol. That's the whole point. I DON'T have it all figured out. I DON'T understand why you would do that.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm out.

Good thank you. I needed to sell it not because it sounded bad but because I needed loot. I was simply stating they I didn't find the VH 4 to my liking.

Did you get the Hagen yet????? Slam the front end with your flux drive and please make a clip. Would love to hear it.

I got it - I haven't tried boosting it yet, it sounds amazing. I will indeed try to get a proper clip up with my Zoom.

UberschallEL34":2cl4inii said:

Sounds amazing!!!! All of your clips always do. Two things that have happened since watching your clips.

1. Bought a flux Drive
2. Loaded one of my LP's with the BNK aftermaths.

All great purchases :rock: !

Back