Which speakers with VH4S?

loic

Hi,
I have a 4*12 cabinet with Celestion V30.
I want to install 2 other speakers to combine with the V30.

I'll probably install 2 Celestion Creamback G12H75... I've seen that the Celesion G12K100 was used very often on Diezel cabinets...

Here is a video when i've tested the creamback this summer (compared with V30) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGV90x5A6w

Which speakers do you use with your VH4/VH4S?

I have one Diezel FL with 2 Mesa V30's mixed with 2 K100's. I have another Diezel FL with 4 China V30's. I prefer all V30's myself, and prefer the Mesa V30 over the China V30.

The video is pretty low quality, but I preferred the V30. My suggestion, would be to run a clean boost in front of your VH4, it would take out that subtle flub you have on the palm mutes.

yes the quality isn't good (smartphone)

What's the sound's difference between the V30 and the K100's for you?

I have a MXR MC401 Boost/Line Driver, i will test it. Which clean boost do you advise with the VH4?

loic":1kmbhfe2 said:

I have a MXR MC401 Boost/Line Driver, i will test it. Which clean boost do you advise with the VH4?
K100's are too clean sounding. V30's have that sizzle and character that you either love or hate.

Get a tube screamer type pedal. Drive all the way down, level all the way up.

I have 2 expectations :
- get a powerful and defined sound (away from the garish side of the V30)
- cut through the other instruments in live condition

RJF":y3u4j9dx said:
loic":y3u4j9dx said:

K100's are too clean sounding. V30's have that sizzle and character that you either love or hate.

Yea, I'm definitely in the "hate" camp when it comes to the V30 sizzle thing, personally.

In my experience, K100s emphasize the best aspects of the Diezel tone and allow me to play / record with all of the tone I imagine in my head (some people cite a lack of highs.. I don't.. but I feel like EQ easily gets me anywhere I need to get), without imparting any of the unwanted noise/hiss/garbage I hear in V30s.

With V30s, no amount of turning down the Presence control (or surgical EQ cutting after recording if it's for studio) can ever get rid of that awful "ssshhhhhhhhhh" that seems really emphasized in the speaker. I can never seem to get past how much I dislike that white-noise vibe. It's obviously down to personal preference, but I can't seem to stop myself from wondering if other guitar players love V30s so much because years of blasting 4x12s, loud concerts, and high stage-volumes have done a number on their high-frequency hearing.

stringsibanez":1d5a87za said:
RJF":1d5a87za said:
loic":1d5a87za said:

Yea, I'm definitely in the "hate" camp when it comes to the V30 sizzle thing, personally.

In my experience, K100s emphasize the best aspects of the Diezel tone and allow me to play / record with all of the tone I imagine in my head (some people cite a lack of highs.. I don't.. but I feel like EQ easily gets me anywhere I need to get), without imparting any of the unwanted noise/hiss/garbage I hear in V30s.

With V30s, no amount of turning down the Presence control (or surgical EQ cutting after recording if it's for studio) can ever get rid of that awful "ssshhhhhhhhhh" that seems really emphasized in the speaker. I can never seem to get past how much I dislike that white-noise vibe. It's obviously down to personal preference, but I can't seem to stop myself from wondering if other guitar players love V30s so much because years of blasting 4x12s, loud concerts, and high stage-volumes have done a number on their high-frequency hearing.

Tell us how you really feel about the V30.

It's my favorite speaker by a long shot, especially the mesa version. K100's with Herbert is just too smooth and polished sounding for me. The V30 adds some grit in just the right way for me.

Damn right. Everything that adds grit is good for a Diezel.

But I played my Herbert with a Marshall can a few months ago. It was loaded with x pattern greenbacks and g12h30 55hz.

Sounded very cool! I was really surprised.

Heh, well I'll admit I didn't really go into that post with "balanced review" in mind.

For me it's like when someone points out a resemblance and you can't "un-see" it, I just can't get past that particular quality with the V30.. Obviously a lot of people really like them though.. It certainly doesn't make your / their preference for it "wrong". No more than if I'd told you that the colour you liked for your new car was wrong; I could tell you why I wouldn't have picked it, but neither opinion would be wrong.

I had a mesa 4x12 with v30s years ago, when I got my Diezel I realized how much I disliked the character of both the cab and the speakers after I found myself liking almost every other cabinet I tried it with more than my own. A Diezel amp through a Diezel 412FL with the k100s turned out to be the sound I'd always been working for.. Different for everyone.

That being said: I have, on more than one occasion, been swayed toward buying a piece of gear by the negative comments made about it. I find negative reviews to be really useful at times; sometimes the very thing that someone dislikes about a piece of gear is exactly the quality I am hoping for.. Oddly enough.

all your opinions are very intersting. Thank you :thumbsup:

I play heavy metal & hard rock with my VH4S, so like modern but also 80's metal sound. So i wonder if the K100's are not too modern to play heavy metal.

I have already played with a marshall cabinet with greenback (in mono so 50W with my VH4S) and i love it. The creamback could be the perfect compromise between 80's and modern. But i'm really curious to test the K100's :confused: :D

yeah! The VH4S with 2 cabinets is just amazing! Powerful sound!
I've already tested my VH4S with a 4*12 loaded with V30s and a 4*12 with Creambacks (G12h75) ... balls of rock :D

Back