Sudden low volumes and reverb sound coming from VH4v-solved-

cacattack

Need some ideas here. Early 2000 model VH4 all of a sudden started sounding like it was connected to a reverb tank with low volumes. There is nothing connected to the amp other than guitar.

As general troubleshooting, I replaced all of the power tubes and the problem was still there. I took a new pre-amp tube and swapped all of the existing tubes one by one and testing each tube in the pre-amp section, still getting the same results.

The reverb sounds and low volumes are across all channels. The amp worked fine the last time i used it. It probably sat unused for a few months, as I have been playing my new Herbert. Also to note, i always unplug my amps after use, as I worry about power surges etc. The amp was unplugged for the duration that it was not being used.

Also want to mention that I have replaced all 4 fuses in the back of the amp.

Any idea guys? I'm over here scratching my head. :confused:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply! Not sure that I understand your question?

I just tried all new and different cables to the guitar and cabinet, and the situation still exists. I have tried just everything that I know to try. All 4 back panel fuses replaced, all power tubes replaced, swapped all pre-amp tubes individually and tested with a known good tube. I have searched the forum to see if I could find any reports of similar issues being reported. Are there any fuses internally that I might be the culprit? Just not sure what to try from here.

As i mentioned previously, the best way to describe my issue is very low volumes and sounds like that I have a reverb pedal connected. I have nothing connected to the amp other than my guitar and a 4x12 cabinet. Everything is connected with high quality cables etc. :confused:

i appreciate any help.

thanks
Craig

I just pulled the amp out of it's casing and found about 6 different internal fuses. There were 4 that were easy to check condition and 2 that had some type of white casing over them near the center, and could not verify condition of those two. I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary and couldn't identify any issues within the amp, but I'm also no electrician... i guess my next step will be to replace all pre-amp tubes at once, to see if that does anything.

Attachments

• img20141210_201732.jpg
    img20141210_201732.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,658
  • img20141210_201803.jpg
    img20141210_201803.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 1,660
  • img20141210_201837.jpg
    img20141210_201837.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 1,658
Just replaced all pre-amp tubes and still no difference. Same low volumes and reverb effect. I think I have done all that I can do at this point.

Any suggestions from the community? BTW... i love Diezel amps! There is really no substitute IMHO. This thing has ran flawlessly for the past 6 or so years that I have owned her, just kinda bummed at the moment because I miss her. Although I love my newer Herbert, the VH4 is the best and most versatile amp that I have ever owned.

Peter Diezel - One quick question. I did acquire my amp on the used market, can you tell me if it had ever been serviced for any reason from yourself or possibly Salwinder Intl.? My serial # is as follows... 000408. Do you have any records on this particular amp?

So these little babies were the culprit of the problem that I was experiencing with my vh4. I had two blown high voltage capacitors. With Peter's recommendation, my amp tech replaced all 4. Thanks to Peter and Mad Science Amp works, I am back jamming with my vh4. DIEZEL there is no substitute! :D

Attachments

• img20150120_190108.jpg
    img20150120_190108.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,468
cacattack":oyr1m9dh said:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply! Not sure that I understand your question?

I guess that if every Diezel owner in the world posted tech support queries onto forums for answer, someone looking to buy a Diezel for the first time might be misled into thinking they aren't reliable. Google will direct people towards tech support queries on forums without prejudice & possibly dissuade people from making a purchase... which is bad for business.

Ironic really, because Diezels are notoriously well built & have stellar customer support. Most of the technical support queries I've read are either tube & fuse faults, biasing or help with pairing with 3rd party equipment.

[quoteGlad to hear the amp works again :rock:[/quote]

Thank you Peter for all of your help! I am so excited to have the 15yr. old VH4 working again. I'm excited to say that I am currently looking for my 3rd Diezel amp, actually 4th if you count the first vh4 that I had prior to this one. I plan to have the entire collection within the next few years, assuming the wife will agree to it :LOL: :LOL: . Your amps and support are amazing! :rock:

Back