Trying to record Clean Guitars (VH4)

Hello,

I am trying to get a good clean but the signal is always with some distortion and I don't know why

My setup is, Guitar with humbucker (BK Blackhawk) into Diezel VH4 clean channel into Palmer PDI 03 unfilter outs to strymon timeline and mobius into Torpedo wall of sound plug in.

The settings in my amp are: Bass 3 mid 5 treble 4 gain 3 volume 5

In the meters it inly goes to until -10 db max

It is clean when I play soft but if I get harder on the pick it enters distortion

Can anyone help me out?

Your high output pickups distorts the input stage.

Low impedance pickups sound better and don´t cause this issue.

Your amp has enough gain to compensate it on the distortion channels.

As the VH4 has an old and beloved circuit, the latest Diezel amps
have an input stage to avoid such a mismatching.

Cheers,
Peter

oh I see, so it's a pickups thing, in the same guitar I have stacked single coils and they are clean, only with the hum bucker it goes into distortion.

Thanks Peter

Any thing else I should consider when recording with the VH4?

I crank the gain until just before it clips and then crank the ch volume. You can clean up a lot from the volume pot on the guitar without losing too much signal integrity.

Is it the amp that's clipping or the levels of the gear you're running into?

I would believe is the amp, but I am not sure. When I turn the volume of the pre down it still does it so it comes before the interface, and the palmer is in the 2 or 3 so I don't believe that's it.

As I said, your hot PU distorts the input.
Turn the volume pot on the guitar down
and the distortion will disappear.
Why don´t believe me ?

Watch the output on the timeline too, it tends to run hot... I actually use it as a boost for my leads. I run juggernauts and my clean is very clean. I run the gain at 11 o clock and the channel at 2 o clock.

I do record a lot of cleans with the VH4 and the Palmer using paf style pickups and some folk (including me) prefers its cleans to fenders. Follow Peter's recommendation and you will get great clean tones out of the VH4.

I am maybe plugin in tonight and try Peter tips. The clean tones I have so far came from single coil pickups, do most people record cleans with singles?

Peter Diezel":3fkvbvcb said:
Yes they are ore maybe with low output hum buckers.
Always depends on wood.

Interesting, I am using a good quality 90's ESP with swamp ash and an Ibanez prestige with basswood, the ESP has a Black Hawk and the Ibanez a VHII + Juggurnaut set

Does the juggernaut loaded guitar distort the amps clean? If so I would definitely start looking elsewhere. I can stay fairly clean all the way up to 12:30 gain on my vh4. It's definitely a hit pickup but not super hot. The black hawk is suppose to have some very heavy magnets in it though by comparison I believe.

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":31tj6o0f said:
Does the juggernaut loaded guitar distort the amps clean? If so I would definitely start looking elsewhere. I can stay fairly clean all the way up to 12:30 gain on my vh4. It's definitely a hit pickup but not super hot. The black hawk is suppose to have some very heavy magnets in it though by comparison I believe.

For what I experienced the Juggernaut is hotter than the Black hawk, also the DC resistance of the Black hawk is 8KΩ on the Alnico an the Juggenaut is 13.3KΩ. The Jugernaut so far distorts the preamp of the clean in all situations, recording and rehearsing, you have to be careful with the settings or do as I do and use the middle position (VHII in the neck) or coil split.

It is a hot pickup, you can get it and add a coil split and then you'll have clean with it.

That what's im saying is my guitar is loaded with a juggernaut and I have ZERO distortion on my clean. I think I'll make a video to show you if you'd like. Something sounds off with you set up

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=971569319538552

Hey here is a link to a clip I made. It's the best I can do with what I have, the iphone distorts badly when I give it any volume but I figured I'd try to get it as close to gig level as I could. I put a little gain clip at the end to show its a camera thing. The clean is very clean even with the strymon, like i said I use it as a volume boost too so the extra gain came from the volume boost effecting the camera, not the amp. Just trying to relay that I know I can get it clean with a hot pickup. Unfortunately the video doesn't do the best of jobs :(

Back