Midi?

1meanplexi

So I have been sniffing around the usual places (eBay, Craigslist) for a used Columbus. I would like to make the jump to getting my pedals off the floor. Not that I am looking for a detailed explanation (but if so inclined please post one) how much work can I expect in doing this setup? Do the pedals stay on all the time? Does one create the patch on the Columbus for each individual or combined effect? Where does the tuner (Boss TU2) go in the chain? Those are some of the topical questions. I am sure there are more I am not thinking of.

You guys are the best and thanks in advance for your answers/comments. :rock: on!

YOu would need an actual switching system to control the pedals. The Columbus just sends out midi commands, it's the brains of the operation, not the muscles.

You'll need something like an RJM rack Gizmo or Voodoo Labs/DMC GCX. I would get a GCX/Ground Control (pro) system and skip the columbus. The Coumbus is a great board, but the GCX/GCP are made to work together and work well. You can find the pair for pretty cheap used too. If you want to save some money buy an older GCX paired with the original Ground Control. I paid $250 for that setup.

Once you have a switcher, then you can put each individual pedal in it's own loop on the switcher, the GCX gives you 8 loops to utilize. Yes, you would leave all the pedals on.

RJF":24l43b77 said:
YOu would need an actual switching system to control the pedals. The Columbus just sends out midi commands, it's the brains of the operation, not the muscles.

You'll need something like an RJM rack Gizmo or Voodoo Labs/DMC GCX. I would get a GCX/Ground Control (pro) system and skip the columbus. The Coumbus is a great board, but the GCX/GCP are made to work together and work well. You can find the pair for pretty cheap used too. If you want to save some money buy an older GCX paired with the original Ground Control. I paid $250 for that setup.

Once you have a switcher, then you can put each individual pedal in it's own loop on the switcher, the GCX gives you 8 loops to utilize. Yes, you would leave all the pedals on.

I found this http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/01 ... _AmpSw.pdf

1meanplexi":36a2kdau said:
RJF":36a2kdau said:

I found this http://www.voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/01 ... _AmpSw.pdf
Yep, thats a good diagram to show the capabilities of a good switcher. You can do a lot with them, change amp channels, switch pedals in and out of the signal (obviously), and you can even set it up where some of the pedals are in front of the amp, and some through your FX loop.

I have both of my GCX systems set up to where I can switch my tube screamer that is in front of the amp, in and out of the signal. Along with everything else.

Back