VH4 and Boss GT-10 - 4 Cable Method Settings

Patrick Schmidt

Hi,

I'm running the VH4 and Boss GT-10 using the 4 cable method for some time now, but I still have problems setting all the levels correctly.
In all the setups I've tried, the GT-10 colors the tone quite much. It takes away some low-end and warmth, and makes it sound a little "harder" (but not in a good way).

The signal chain is:
Guitar --> (1) GT-10 (2) --> VH4 pre-amp (3) --> (4) GT-10 (5)(6)(7) --> VH4 power-amp

The level controls are:
(1) GT-10 Input Level
(2) GT-10 Send Level
(3) VH4 Channel Volume
(4) GT-10 Return Level
(5) GT-10 Patch Level
(6) GT-10 -10dB / +4dB
(7) GT-10 Output Level Knob

Because there are just so many combinations, I'd like to hear which one you are using... or what your approach is to find the best levels.

Some people here wrote that they are really happy with the GT-10 in 4CM, which gives me hope that there is a good solution.
I'd really like to keep the flexibility of the 4CM without destroying the sound of such an awesome amp.

Any help appreciated!

edit: I'm using 4.5m Klotz FunkMaster cables.

I believe the GT10 is kind of a low end product. I personally would not use it with a Diezel head. My experience with the 4cm method has never faired well. Too much coloration of the sound with a loss of that "direct in" sound.

I'd suggest upgrading to something better. With my midi rigs I have them setup to where everything is off when I want a dry crunch, no 4cm anything coloring the tone. I use a TC electronic G Force and a GCX switcher with my VH4. The switchable parallel loop in the VH4 is worthless for me, so I use the serial loop and use the GCX to route the loop to be switched on and off.

I run my GT-10 w/ the 4 cable method w/ my engl iron ball....there is a little bit of coloration, but hardly enough to get me to not use it...it's only noticeable when I'm running no effects on the GT and just using the gain from the amp...but again, i'd take that bit of color over spending thousands more on a more transparent unit or having a bunch of pedals strewn in front of the amp and in the loop...plus, the flexibility of the GT is so useful and simplifies my setup so much that unless I plug straight into the amp I forget that there even is any coloration. Really, it depends how much of a tone cork-sniffer you are.
About your level question, #6 is at -10db if I remember correctly and everything else I set at 50% and it seems to work just fine.

Patrick Schmidt":onmn1qn4 said:
Hi,

I'm running the VH4 and Boss GT-10 using the 4 cable method for some time now, but I still have problems setting all the levels correctly.
In all the setups I've tried, the GT-10 colors the tone quite much. It takes away some low-end and warmth, and makes it sound a little "harder" (but not in a good way).

The signal chain is:
Guitar --> (1) GT-10 (2) --> VH4 pre-amp (3) --> (4) GT-10 (5)(6)(7) --> VH4 power-amp

The level controls are:
(1) GT-10 Input Level
(2) GT-10 Send Level
(3) VH4 Channel Volume
(4) GT-10 Return Level
(5) GT-10 Patch Level
(6) GT-10 -10dB / +4dB
(7) GT-10 Output Level Knob

Because there are just so many combinations, I'd like to hear which one you are using... or what your approach is to find the best levels.

Some people here wrote that they are really happy with the GT-10 in 4CM, which gives me hope that there is a good solution.
I'd really like to keep the flexibility of the 4CM without destroying the sound of such an awesome amp.

Any help appreciated!

edit: I'm using 4.5m Klotz FunkMaster cables.

Welcome to the board, Patrick :thumbsup:

What are the settings on the channel volumes ?

Peter Diezel":31858qe2 said:
Welcome to the board, Patrick :thumbsup:

What are the settings on the channel volumes ?
Thanks Peter!

These are my current settings:
(1) GT-10 Input Level: 0dB
(2) GT-10 Send Level: 100 (which is 50%)
(3) VH4 Channel Volume: around 10 o'clock (channel 3 most of the time)
(4) GT-10 Return Level: 100 (which is 50%)
(5) GT-10 Patch Level: 30 (which is 15%)
(6) GT-10 -10dB / +4dB: -10dB
(7) GT-10 Output Level Knob: 100%

The master volume is usually around 9 o'clock.

@RJF:
I know the GT-10 is not playing in the same league as the head. But right now I'm trying to make the most of what I have. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the future!

Then I would suggest just running the GT10 through the switchable loop and running your guitar strait into the front end of the amp. I'm a stickler on tone suckage for my dry crunch rhythm sounds though. But, I'm an at home player by myself so I'm hearing everything. Maybe when playing with other guys in a mix it's less of an issue.

Most tone get lost before the amp input.
Use it only in the serial loop.

Try to turn the channel volumes to 12 o clock
and turn down the output of the effect unit
a bit.

Peter Diezel":1im7bnme said:

a bit.

Peter, What NAMM Booth # is Diesel at this year (this week, Anaheim)? I need my Diezel Fix and figure out if my next Diezel is a Hagen or a VH4.
Thanks!

Peter Diezel":3opgbsx2 said:
a bit.
I tried this and it helped!

Peter Diezel":3opgbsx2 said:
Okay, so I will decide if I really "need" the GT-10 in front of the amp, or save some money for a switching system.

Thanks for all the replies!

Back