VH4 Channel 4 - Question about Gain knob

mark-anthony

Hi guys,

We were experimenting with Channel 4 in the studio and we noticed that when the Gain knob is on 0 volume, and once you open it up, the Gain kind of jumps on right away and if you keep opening up the Gain all the way up, there is no change in sound from when you just turn up the knob. I don't have the amp on me right now, so I don't remember if the Master volume was brought down, but just wondering if this is normal. Maybe its just how Channel 4 is in general? One thing I have to mention as well is that at the end of the night 2 of the 4 tubes blew so maybe that's the reason why channel 4 was like this? Maybe the tubes were just about to die?

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. When you mean there should be a difference, you mean because of what happened to the 2 tubes? You think that once I retube the amp the gain should open up all way as I'm cranking it? The thing is the tubes didn't blow and then I noticed the gain issue. I noticed it before the tubes went but maybe they were degrading and that's why this happened? If I change the tubes and still notice this is there a specific cause for this?

CH4 gain knob does have an impact to the tone. Did you perhaps have something in-front of the amp? And please try with normal volume levels and not with "too muted" settings.

If you have any problems with your amp. Peter will surely take good care of you. Know that for a fact based on own experiences. :thumbsup:

Hi i.ak,

I do actually have a noise suppressor in front of the amp and I mainly use channel 3 for distortion, but noticed there is no difference in tone when it's on or off and the gain knob on channel 3 works fine going all the way up. Hi Peter, I will message you shortly as well. Thanks!

Back