VH4 Parallel Loop

JimmyBlind

Any tips on balancing the output levels between having the parallel loop engaged or disengaged? Can't really turn the loop volume down without losing the effect volume.

I really like the boost the amp gets with the FX loop engaged, but there's a loss of db when it's disengaged.

What effect are you using? The parallel is mainly for time based effects and they should be set to 100% wet. Ideally, the parallel volume is only adjusting the effected return. Sounds like you have some dry mixed in or are running an effect that when added back to the dry signal significantly boosts volume.. In that case I would try the serial loop for said effect.

Yo! Thanks for the reply. Just a Boss Chorus, Carbon Copy & Neunaber Reverb in the loop.

These should all be set with output level maxed?

They should be set so that they do not send the dry signal through, but instead only put out wet (=effected) signal. This feature is often called "KillDry".
In case of the chorus it would be only the detuned signal, in the case of the delay only the repeats and so on.

I´m not sure whether your pedals can do that....if they can´t, they should be put in a serial loop.

Ah! Are you saying I can send via the switchable send 2 & into the serial return?

Maybe this is my problem. I always thought the Send 1 & Return 1 were mutually related serial jacks. I never thought about using the serial return.

I think this is why I'm getting the volume boost. I think it even says you can do this in the manual actually :aww: by bridging the send 2/return 2 jacks.

Thanks for the epiphany.

I tried that and it didn´t work.

The you get the volume boost because the parallel Loop leaves your original signal at normal level and ADDS whatever it gets from the parallel return to it (the level of the added signal is determined by the parallel volume knob on the front of the amplifier). So if the pedals connected to the parallel loop pass the original signal through, it will get added to itself which results in more volume.
This is not recommended, because some pedals/devices may hava a short latency, which will cause an out-of-phase, thinner sound.
When you just bridge the parallel loop, there is no latency and you get a basic volume boost when activating the loop.

Just put your pedals in the serial loop (send 1/return1) or into the insert loops (depending on in which channels you need those).

Wouldn't that mean tap dancing on FX pedals to turn them off though? One of the best things about the VH4 is the switchable effects loop. It's an integral part of my setup.

My confusion is that I always related the switchable send 2 with the parallel loop & volume. I just figured you either had a permanent serial loop option or a switchable parallel loop with volume. I'll do some experimenting when I get home.

Hmmm. No. You're right. That doesn't work does it.
So the VH4 serial loop is non switchable then?
Guess I'll have to look at some sort of loop switcher or make do with the volume boost.

Indeed. You are correct about no switchable serial on vh4 (aside from the individual channel loops). Get a boss loop pedal if you only need one loop on the cheap. Parallel doesn't work well for the mentioned pedals.

Back